Topics

such a waste of intelligent energy

SUNRISE DREAMER

Hello friends,

I see so much wasted energy being wasted on a subject that has been argued to the point of trying to ride a dead mule.

The new skype is here and its not going away. No company in the world goes backward, and its not going to happen with skype.

All this intelligent energy should be expended towards helping each other to access, understand and use the new program to our fullest abilities, so that we are ready and able to improve our use of the program, as the needed accessibility fixes come along.

As long as blind people have been using computers, the improvements regarding accessibility have come along, and guess what, we haven’t been left behind yet.

That’s because of good common sense advocacy for accessibility and the willingness of blind computer users to use what we have so we are comfortable with existing programs,

which makes it much easier for when much needed improvements are developed in order to turn our experience into a smooth transition .

We all want the same thing as it relates to accessibility. Just think how much someone like myself could have learned if all of these angry messages were full of helpful questions and answers for using the new skype?

Catcha later from Lewis!

**KISS AN ANGEL GOOD MORNING!

Mike DeZinno

Amen, Lewis!
I've been using a talking computer since 1987, and the same scare and fear tactics have ripped through the blind community every year for those 31 years since my first computer spoke its first words.

Change is inevitable, and life is all about constant change.
And as my sainted mother told me when I was a 11 year old blind kid who couldn't join a little league team;
"the value of your life isn't determined by the few things you can't do, but rather by the many things you can do!"

We would all be better served here in our Skype community if we just asked how-to questions and just gave each other non judgmental answers.
State the problem or situation and then sit back, chill for a few, and wait for someone to share some  solutions.

Besides science has proven, you live longer when you learn how to just accept life's little jabs to your soul. LOL

Stay well and have a great fun weekend,
Mike in SC

At 11:38 AM 10/5/2018, you wrote:
[...]

Shaun Oliver

to be fair to all and sundry on list, for the most part, the below has happened. people ask, and concise answers were given out.

Granted, it isn't always immediately apparent, hence the reasons for the questions in the first place.

What is a continual bugbear, however, is the incessant moaning as opposed to the more practical reaching out to the developers at the grass roots of the project, calmly explaining what they'd like to see happen in order that their experience with the end-product remains comfortable and unhindered by obstacles they are unable to overcome. Yet, there is point blank refusal to at the very least try, slurs and strongly worded suggestions as to what said conglomerate can do with their current iteration of said end-product, and wishes for deprecated and quite frankly, insecure implementations of underlying software infrastructure, to bring back a product that was flaky at best and a downright headache, even for the more tech savvy among us at worst. There is little need to point fingers, but, it seems to be currently, a trend I'm seeing, and while it is not necessarily endemic to our own community, it is something that is more prevalent than it needs to be.

Quite frankly, older software and operating systems are being done away with, because they have security holes and are based on now defunct code and deprecated practices. Windows XP, for instance, hasn't been supported for the better part of three years, yet, there are still people out there using it on the internet, even knowing that it is a security risk to their home or corporate networks. It's only going to be a couple of years, before win7 is similarly no longer supported, and people the world over, even though they are better informed, are going to continue to use it, knowing they're placing themselves and everyone else they interact with at risk.

I digress, however. What I'm ultimately saying is this.

Don't fight change simply for the sake of fighting it and because what yu are using is comfortable, be an instrument of change, and calmly, logically and reasonably enter in to discourse with those in the know, and insure that the things you want and need are there in future iterations of said software and your lives and mine, will be considerably better for it. not to mention the myriad others that would doubtless thank you for your efforts in insuring they have as smooth a transition and as great an experience as they enjoy currently.

At 11:38 AM 10/5/2018, you wrote:
[...]

Octavian Rasnita

"insure that the things you want and need are there in future iterations of said software and your lives and mine, will be considerably better for it".

Windows 7 is almost at its end of life, but it is still worse than Windows XP was for me.
It won't be improved anymore, so it will be worse forever.
I used it for many years and I got very used to it, but it still works bad, JAWS reads some strange words in some applications (TextPad), the command prompt works also worse, the version of Outlook Express I use has some limitations, the other email client have some missing features etc.

And I can tell you that I tried very many other alternative programs that could work a little better, but none of them have all the features I need.

If I'd need to use the computer just for entertainment, all these things wouldn't be a problem, because if something would not be accessible, I can choose to  use something else and that's all.

--Octavian

At 11:38 AM 10/5/2018, you wrote:
[...]

John Holcomb II

What does all of this have to do with Skype ?

At 11:38 AM 10/5/2018, you wrote:

[...]

The point is, that we are seeing way too much talk and no action
. Someone does not like something and they just complain instead of hitting windows f and submitting feedback on said app(s) Microsoft does in fact listen. I am an insider and have ben for about a year on 1 of their platforms and they do listen. They have fixed several bugs on skype for xbox and windows and mac. So, get that feedback in instead of just wishing for somethingn to happen. If you don't like it, there's the door, and you can uninstall skype off of your system, and find somethingn that is better such as facebook or zoom for that matter, but put your energy to constructive feedback stacks reports, diag logs etc.

Take care

At 11:38 AM 10/5/2018, you wrote:

[...]

It has to do with Skype, because exactly in the same way, Skype 8 will be forever worse than Skype 7 for me.

--Octavian

At 11:38 AM 10/5/2018, you wrote:

[...]

Yes Sarah, you are right. But I wonder why do you tell this only to the people that have a different opinion than you.
Why don't you tell that the praises to Skype 8 are also useless and don't make Skype 8 beeing better?

I am a reactive person. I usually don't start discussions and flame wars, but I just send my opinions *after* other people send their opinions.

--Octavian

At 11:38 AM 10/5/2018, you wrote:

[...]

and that, is what I'm talking about. instead of talking to them, you're moaning here on a forum that has little to do with that which you are complaining about accept for the aspects relating to Skype.

Instead of complaining about it, Reach out and discuss with the developers themselves. they really aren't big scary ogres

At 11:38 AM 10/5/2018, you wrote:
[...]

and that's the beauty of current versions of windows, that ability is there. some are using older versions of windows that are reaching their end of life cycle, but, that doesn't preclude them from submitting that feedback, they just have to take a few extra steps to get there. so really all this complaining about this being worse, that not being accessible and how the organization can go to places even I wouldn't want to visit for a holiday, is unnecessary, because said organization has decided, and rightfully so, in my opinion, to stop playing the part of an ostrich and not only take on board, but act on the feedback given. we won't necessarily get everything we want, but that is true of life in general. as the song says, you can't always get what you want, but you find sometimes, you get what you need.

At 11:38 AM 10/5/2018, you wrote:

[...]

Stephen Troy

i'm afraid no company is going to develop or change their product to
ensure one person is happy with everything.

we all have different likes and dislikes where software is concerned
and manufacturers/developers can not please everyone all of the time.
nor can people such as doug give up their time to write scripts that
will suit each individual's needs.

my old IPhone 4s sat in the draw for three months because I thought it
was way more complicated than the nokia and I didn't think i'd ever
get used to using it. when the nokia completely died and wouldn't
even turn on, I had to switch to the IPhone and now I wouldn't use
anything else.

it really is time to move on and try and get used to skype 8 or give
it up completely. Microsoft are not going to give classic another
lifeline and, as sean says, if people have suggestions, best to send
them to the developers rather than complaining on this forum every
day.

.
We all want the same thing as it relates to accessibility. Just
think how much someone like myself could have learned if all of
these angry messages were full of helpful questions and answers
for using the new skype?
Catcha later from Lewis!

**KISS AN ANGEL GOOD MORNING!

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

John Holcomb II

How do you submit feedback if on an older version of windows?

I was not aware you could do this on anything older than Windows 10.

At 11:38 AM 10/5/2018, you wrote:

[...]

Lino Morales

I forget the name of the page, but there is the something having to do voices or some such URL that MS does monitor and does answer feedback. If I could only remember that URL.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

At 11:38 AM 10/5/2018, you wrote:

[...]

Well if someone could find that URL and pass it along,

That would be great!

Then everybody who is running older versions can have their voices heard too as long as its not end of life.

At 11:38 AM 10/5/2018, you wrote:

[...]

Octavian, there's this saying (at least here) about "beating a dead horse." You have expressed your opinions, but the same opinions many times. I respectfully request, in order to prevent this discussion from going on forever,
that we refrain from saying things we've said before.

At 11:38 AM 10/5/2018, you wrote:

[...]

Visible links
1. mailto:marrie12@...
2. mailto:skypeenglish@groups.io
3. mailto:blindman75@...
4. mailto:skypeenglish@groups.io
5. http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient
7. mailto:skypeenglish@groups.io?subject=Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bskypeenglish%5D%20such%20a%20waste%20of%20intelligent%20energy
8. mailto:orasnita@...?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bskypeenglish%5D%20such%20a%20waste%20of%20intelligent%20energy

Hidden links:
16. file://localhost/Users/dlee/tmp/neomutt-mini-501-708-17632521860734166761#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2
17. file://localhost/Users/dlee/tmp/neomutt-mini-501-708-17632521860734166761#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2
18. file://localhost/Users/dlee/tmp/neomutt-mini-501-708-17632521860734166761#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2

"While they were saying among themselves it cannot be done, it was
done." --Helen Keller

John Holcomb II

This is beyond to the ground....

Level Access doug.lee@...
http://www.LevelAccess.com
"While they were saying among themselves it cannot be done, it was done."
--Helen Keller

Josephine Hirsch

With Skype 8.3, no one can hear me whenever I make a phone call.

At 11:38 AM 10/5/2018, you wrote:

[...]

Doug Lee

The most common cause of that I can think of would be a need to change the sound source in Skype 8. Use Ctrl+comma to open Settings, tab through fields to the Audio and Video button, and press Space to open that panel. You will
then find a Microphone combo box in which you can choose your input device. The next tab stop lets you turn on/off Skype's management of mic volume. I tend to turn this off. After that, you should have a mic volume. Oddly,
the range goes up to 10 but with decimals; so for example, I think 9.5 is the same as 95%.

When done examining and/or changing these settings, tab to the Close button and press Space.

At 11:38 AM 10/5/2018, you wrote:

[...]

"Is your cucumber bitter? Throw it away. Are there briars in your
path? Turn aside. That is enough. Do not go on to say, `Why were
things of this sort ever brought into the world?'"
--Marcus Aurelius

Sarah k Alawami

If on a mac, check to see if you got the permissions dialogue. I had that issue Thursday. Skype wants access to your mic and camera. Allow that.

Take care