Topics

Skype UWP discontinued?

Doug Lee

I was just informed by a coworker of the following post:

Microsoft replace Skype UWP app with Desktop Electron version: https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-replace-skype-uwp-app-with-desktop-electron-version/

Note that this is an MSInsider post, not a formal Microsoft announcement. Still, I regard it as both a public post and an indication of what is coming, all therein-contained opinions about the wisdom of this change aside.

This move does not surprise me, and that is one reason that I, though I made several partial efforts, never fully completed an up-to-date set of JAWS scripts for Skype UWP.

My JAWS scripts for Skype for Windows Desktop remain current and work with Skype 8.57, the current Skype for Windows Desktop release. I expect I will make them work with Skype 8.58 if necessary when that comes out to the public.

If the above announcement actually means that the Store Skype UWP version will become identical to the Skype for Windows Desktop version we now use, I also expect I'll try to make my scripts work for the Store app just as
they do for the Desktop app.

Time is the friend of one who is true, and the enemy of one who isn't.
(02/05/2010)

Jacob

8.58 is public. I installed it today.

OZ0TE Jacob

On 2020-03-18 at 17:10 Doug Lee wrote:
[...]

Michele Barbi

Yes, I think it's already out, I saw it via Ninite and I installed through Skype website. Possibly they need some time to autoupdate, which is what Doug always waits, lol!

Normal interface is working just fine, I did not have the chance to deeply test features such as the "Sign in with another account" button mentioned in the past, and the typing indicators feature. I'll report here in case I realize there are problems.

grins at Michele*

Actually though, I try the manual update now and then but hadn't yet. I am now running 8.58 because the manual update worked for me, though the Update button is not labeled and, in my haste, I did not try to fix that.

From time to time, updates have come out on the website that don't become available via the in-app Update button. Those, admittedly, I have a history of ignoring until they are made available inside the app itself.

Thanks much for your testing. I'm mostly working on Teams and Slack scripts today due to our sudden increased need for business-level remote work and telecommunication.

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 06:37:29PM +0100, Michele Barbi wrote:
Yes, I think it's already out, I saw it via Ninite and I installed
through Skype website. Possibly they need some time to autoupdate,
which is what Doug always waits, lol!

Normal interface is working just fine, I did not have the chance to
deeply test features such as the "Sign in with another account" button
mentioned in the past, and the typing indicators feature. I'll report
here in case I realize there are problems.

"When your best-laid plans have turned to dust, vacuum!"
- Whoopi Goldberg