Topics

Skype update

albert brown

Hello, a friend of mine updated her skype on her desktop, sorry I should say it updated automatically. The problem is when the skype program is launched nothing is spoken. She is using NVDA screenreader. Can anyone please give me a solution to this problem.

Albert

Nick Giannak III

Have her press the alt key twice. Per Doug Lee...

    "Sometimes, Skype' accessibility information winds up owned by another window that is not part of Skype, which causes screen readers to become confused."

    Pressing alt twice is how to solve that problem with NVDA.

Thanks,

nick

On 9/27/2020 12:11 PM, albert brown wrote:
Hello, a friend of mine updated her skype on her desktop, sorry I should say it updated automatically. The problem is when the skype program is launched nothing is spoken. She is using NVDA screenreader. Can anyone please give me a solution to this problem.

Albert

Chela Robles

There is something that I have noticed with Skype and I don’t know if it’s just me but I have the latest Skype and the latest jaws and obviously the latest jaws Scripps. A friend of mine was having a hard time hearing me last night when I wanted to choose my blue yeti microphone which was on and can only hear me through my USB logitech clear chat headset I made sure that my Blue yeti microphone was selected for Skype but for some reason, while it does work with zoom, it’s not playing very well with Skype right now and I’ve noticed this a couple times any thoughts would be appreciated very much thank you. I’m using windows 10 by the way.

On Sep 27, 2020, at 10:36 AM, Nick Giannak III <nick@...> wrote:

Have her press the alt key twice. Per Doug Lee...

    "Sometimes, Skype' accessibility information winds up owned by another window that is not part of Skype, which causes screen readers to become confused."

    Pressing alt twice is how to solve that problem with NVDA.

Thanks,

nick

On 9/27/2020 12:11 PM, albert brown wrote:
Hello, a friend of mine updated her skype on her desktop, sorry I should say it updated automatically. The problem is when the skype program is launched nothing is spoken. She is using NVDA screenreader. Can anyone please give me a solution to this problem.

Albert

Mike Bernard

Hello Kela

I too use a yetti with skype. I don’t use windows 10, but I don’t think the version of windows is the problem. What do you have your speakers in skype set to?

Mike

Do you like disco? Do you like to shake your groove with New Wave, 90s Hip hop, Or today’s slammin hits? If so, check out my show every Wednesday night from 7 to 10 pm Eastern on Sonic Radio:

www.sonicradio.rocks

[...]

It’s just the HP default speakers of course I plugged my Bose speakers in the laptop so the blue yeti microphone is not a headset just to be clear. They’re having a hard time hearing me was that but they can hear me with the clear chat USB logitech headset and yet the sound still comes out of my speakers which are by default Hp Audio, something long I cannot remember. I had already set the microphone to blue yeti. So I don’t know what’s going on. I guess I’m just gonna have to keep testing it all out. And by the way it’s chela it is spelled  C h e l a.

[...]

Hey Mike it’s Sheila. I just solved my problem. I had to uncheck the mute option so in other words when it says in the settings under audio to unmute on incoming calls, I had to check that box. It's fixed now. Yay! The only thing that missed lead me was the fact that when I did the audio test call with the Skype testing service I was able to hear my voice through the speakers of choice with the microphone of choice just fine I just was unaware of the box that I had to check for amusing myself on incoming calls. Glad I got that solved!

On Sep 27, 2020, at 12:08 PM, Chela Robles via groups.io <cdrobles693@...> wrote:

[...]

Glad you got it working correctly. This new layout of Skype can be really tricky to figure out sometimes. Ever since Microsoft took charge of it, we never know what to expect when a new version comes out.

[...]

That’s exactly what my friend said who couldn’t hear me last night LOL! Glad I figured it out too. I was wondering if I was losing it you know LOL! Well now I know I’m not mentally off my rocker! LOL you guys have a great week happy Skyping! :-) Chela Robles