Skype sign-in focus problem finally identified, workaround available

Doug Lee

Now and then over the last few months, I received reports from people who suddenly got signed out of Skype and could not sign back in. Invariably, the ultimate complaint was that Tab, Shift+Tab, and pretty much every key on
the keyboard appeared to do nothing. Here I present some details and sort of a workaround to the problem.

First, why are people being signed out?

I believe when you switch between two different clients on a single machine, specifically between the Microsoft Store client and the Desktop client, you are automatically signed out and must sign in again. There may also be
cases where changing between Skype versions will cause this, though that's a guess.

Why does the keyboard stop working?

When the sign-in screen first appears, it works fine. However, if you mistype a password and sign-in fails, the next screen does not work. Though I have not determined fully the reason for this, JAWS becomes confused as to
what is in focus. There appear to be several subcases of this issue; namely, first screen appearance, after Tab has been used in this screen one or more times, after Alt+Tab has been used, and possibly a fourth case after Tab
has been used subsequent to Alt+Tab. It looks possible (though tricky) to script for this problem, but the problem absolutely should be fixed in Skype itself and will be far more reliable when fixed there.

Unfortunately, the only workaround I currently know is to shut down Skype, such as with Ctrl+Q, bring it up again, and type very carefully. :-) This works because the first sign-in screen to appear works properly.

I just submitted via Feedback in Skype itself the following entry:

URGENT: Screen readers can't use the sign-in screen after the first failed login attempt because they become confused on location of focus. Steps to reproduce: Sign out, try sign-in with wrong password, try to sign in again.
Workaround: Unload Skype with Ctrl+Q, relaunch, and make no mistakes on first attempt.

"The most exhausting thing in life is being insincere."
- Anne Morrow Lindbergh {American Author}

Sarah k Alawami

Have you submitted this via the feedback portal windows f as well? If not, I would highly suggest doing this; as you will probably get microsoft's attention better, and people can upvote it.

On 27 Jan 2021, at 7:38, Doug Lee wrote:

[...]

I submitted first through Skype itself and then also through the feedback portal on the Skype website. I did not use the Feedback Hub, both because that looks like it's more for Windows ingeneral and because I am using an
offline Windows account on this computer.

--

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our [1]website.

Check out my [2]adventures with a shadow machine.

twitter

Our [5]discord is where you will know when we go live on [6]twitch.
Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit [7]my main
lbry page and my [8]tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of
my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go [9]here

[...]

"Never does the human soul appear so strong as when it foregoes
revenge, and dares forgive an injury." --E. H. Chapin

Luis Thorin

Hi Doug, how are you? This is Luis Thorin from Blind inc. I have been a
member of your page for a long time, and I need to make sure I am setting
everything up properly. I have done yearly backup and restoere and I need
to know how to verifyeverything is working with your scripts and then
there's the Microsoft scripts which I hope I am not using. How can I
re-install everything or check if everything is as it should be? Thank you.
I am living in Samos, Greece for the last 8 years. It is very nice here.
Please let me know if you are planning to come to Greece, and maybe we can
meet or talk. Have a great month. Luis

Level Access doug.lee@LevelAccess.com
http://www.LevelAccess.com