Topics

Skype is unified! Skype UWP for Windows 10 is now the same as Skype for Windows Desktop! Here's what will happen and what to do.

Doug Lee

NVDA users, there's something in here for you, too; this is mostly but not entirely for JAWS folk.

Someone with a nice actor voice should now mutter quietly, after the fashion of many movies, "I have waited a long time for this moment."

As was announced earlier on this list already, Skype for Windows 10, formerly a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) application, is now identical to our well-known Skype for Windows Desktop app. Finally, after years of
confusion, we have exactly one Skype for Windows again!

This message contains three sections: what you should do now, what will happen automatically, and what will happen to scripts. The final of these sections will also include my plans for NVDA support.

What you should do now:

If you have installed JAWS scripts for Skype UWP for Windows 10, remove them. If you used the script installer to install them, there will be an Uninstall entry in your Start menu for them. If you installed them manually,
remove files from your JAWS user folder that contain "skypeuwp" in their names, and then remove any ConfigNames.ini entries that mention "skypeuwp" on the right side of the = sign. I advise this because trying to use the old
Skype UWP scripts with the new Electron replacement will result in sluggish behavior.

If you want access to Skype for Windows 10 immediately, though I intend to release a script update for this later today, follow the advice given earlier on this list to make the current Skype for Windows Desktop scripts work
with Skype for Windows 10. Otherwise, wait a few hours and run the installer I plan to release soon. Manually updating ConfigNames.ini will not cause problems for you later when you run the new installer I am about to release.

What will happen automatically:

Along with your Microsoft store updates whenever they run (or when you run them), Skype for Windows 10 will quietly morph into the Electron app we've been using for years. Skype for Windows Desktop, if you have it installed,
will continue to work normally. The two should look and perform alike.

What will happen to scripts (and NVDA add-ons):

Later today, I plan to release a new set of scripts to cover the unified Skype. This will actually be the same code as was used for Skype for Windows Desktop. There are a few changes though:

1. The installer will change from "JAWS Scripts For Skype for Windows Desktop 8 (Electron)" to just "JAWS Scripts For Skype for Windows."

2. The installer's file name will change from jfw_skypeelectron.exe to just jfw_skype.exe.

3. The URL https://www.dlee.org/skype/electron/ will still work, but the official URL will now be https://www.dlee.org/skype/ and the scripts will actually reside there.

4. The names of files for the scripts will now include just "skype" rather than "skypeelectron." This is consistent with the file naming conventions now used by JAWS itself for Skype support.

5. I will send another announcement here when the release occurs, and that announcement will include further information on how to upgrade.

Regarding NVDA add-ons:

I have been for a long time hosting a small NVDA add-on for Skype for Windows Desktop at https://www.dlee.org/skype/electron/skype.nvda-addon

I intend to do the following for this add-on after releasing the JAWS updates:

1. Adjust any names to correspond to the Skype unification as I am doing for JAWS.

2. Create a folder for Skype NVDA support as I do for other projects, and move the add-on there.

3. Make the add-on support Skype for Windows 10 if possible, the issue being how to make the add-on load for it as it already does for Skype for Windows Desktop.

Again, I will make another announcement when I have more for NVDA. I'm sending this much information now though in case people out there have pages pointing directly to the add-on at its current location, which will go away
at some point.

Snowmen fall from heaven, unassembled.
--anon