Topics

Skype Electron Replaces Universal App on the Store: the users need to make this change to continue using it

Hamza Ahmad

Hello respected members on skype mailing list,

I’ve come up with good news that will affect skype universal app users and surprise electron users on the other. Since skype 8.61, Microsoft officially replaces their universal app with the Chromium based version of skype. From now on, there will be single version of skype available to both store and regular users of skype.

Those who use skype electron can continue using it. However, those who rely on universal app may need to update their config names.ini file available in the explore my settings folder i.e. the user settings directory. I hope the author will soon commit this change, and all users of skype electron and skype UWP will receive same scripts for their applications.

Till then, I am going to describe the way how people can make this change and continue their experience.

First you need to go to JAWS user settings directory.

To do so, open jaws window jaws key + j.

Go to utilities and click “explore utilities folder”; you can press letter x to directly open utilities folder.

The utilities folder will open in file explorer.

Press letter e till you find an item with the name of “explore my settings”.

Press enter on it.

When it opens, type letter c till you find a file with the name of “ConfigNames.INI”.

Press enter on it; it will open in notepad.

Keep arrowing down till you find this line “Microsoft.SkypeApp!App=skypeuwp”.

Type home key to go to the start of the line.

Press semicolon to comment the current entry. Now, hold the shift key and keep pressing right arrow.

When JAWS announce ‘equals’, leave the shift key and press control + c to copy the selected or highlighted text.

Type end key to go to the end of the line. Press enter there. Now, paste the text that you just copied earlier.

Now, find another line that says “Skype:8=skypeelectron”.

Copy the text after equals sign and return to the line where you pasted some text before. Press end key to go to the end of the line and press control + v to paste. Now, press control + s to save. Close notepad, and other two windows of file explorer that you opened in the start. Now, restart the JAWS application. Congress, you can now use electron version of skype from Microsoft store.

Michele Barbi

Hello my fiend, thanks for telling us. I personally always used Skype for Desktop and I am using Doug's scripts revision 162 for Skype electron. I don't know which plans does he have for further scripts distribution, possibly though VFO will make some changes in a future JAWS update.

For further information on what Microsoft is actually doing, you can read here: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34933/introducing-an-updated-enhanced-skype-for-windows-10

Hamza Ahmad

Hi Barbi,
Thanks for responding and sharing this useful link.
As for the developers of JAWS, likely they'll update the shared
.ini file in the next update. Those who have turn automatic update for
store applications to on will receive this update to skype. So, I
chose to post the workaround here.
When I received this update, it hanged my computer with old scripts.
When I made this change, it worked well. I've also messaged Dug
personally. I am sure he is aware of this change, and we'll soon
receive an announcement regarding this.
Best

On 6/29/20, Michele Barbi <barbi.michele@...> wrote:
Hello my fiend, thanks for telling us. I personally always used Skype
for Desktop and I am using Doug's scripts revision 162 for Skype
electron. I don't know which plans does he have for further scripts
distribution, possibly though VFO will make some changes in a future
JAWS update.

For further information on what Microsoft is actually doing, you can
read here:
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34933/introducing-an-updated-enhanced-skype-for-windows-10

Hamza Ahmad

I am What I know not Even.