Topics

Skype Electron and Chrome and jaws script confusion

John Holcomb II

What does Electron mean, and what is this Chrome thing you all have mentioned? Something in regards to JAWS and the scripts for Skype 8? I’m lost on this part of it all.

I don’t have Chrome as a  browser installed, and can’t imagine that Microsoft would make it that you have to have this installed to use Skype 8. In fact I’m sure this is not the case. So  since this is obviously not Chrome the browser, what exactly is it?

Thanks all,

John

Doug Lee

Electron is a platform on which some modern applications are built. It includes a Chrome control in which web-like content, complete with Javascript code, can run. An Electron app can include other components as well, but the
interface presented to the user is a Chrome control with web-like content inside it. Electron apps run inside this control without requiring an actual browser though, so you don't have to have or use the Google Chrome browser
to run an Electron app.

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 10:05:20PM -0400, John Holcomb II wrote:
What does Electron mean, and what is this Chrome thing you all have
mentioned? Something in regards to JAWS and the scripts for Skype 8?
I'm lost on this part of it all.

I don't have Chrome as a browser installed, and can't imagine that
Microsoft would make it that you have to have this installed to use
Skype 8. In fact I'm sure this is not the case. So since this is
obviously not Chrome the browser, what exactly is it?

Thanks all,

John

2. mailto:skypeenglish@groups.io?subject=Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bskypeenglish%5D%20Skype%20Electron%20and%20Chrome%20and%20jaws%20script%20confusion
3. mailto:jhii926@gmail.com?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bskypeenglish%5D%20Skype%20Electron%20and%20Chrome%20and%20jaws%20script%20confusion

chain letter and a shouting match." -Andrew Kantor

John Holcomb II

So For Jerry for instance, his version of JAWS is older so wouldn't work with the Chrome browser let alone electron apps right?
Because to use this newest version of Skype 8, JAWS needs to work well with chrome controls and how chrome prevents web content, correct?
This here a prime example of how an older version of a screene reader won't work so well since the app updating models is a fast moving target?

I have JAWS2018, so that should not be a problem and your scripts should also work fine in this case.
Thanks Dug,
John

On Jul 26, 2018, at 10:30 PM, Doug Lee <dgl@dlee.org> wrote:

[...]

Jerry Pryde

That's my understanding too.
I'm not too worried about it. I'll figure something out.
The last time something like this happened, a few years ago, it turned out I qualified for a free JAWS upgrade.
Here's hoping.
This could be simply a bump in the road.
I'll figure this out somehow.