Topics

Skype 8 language and prefix key

Jean Philippe

Hi Doug and all,

I just installed Skype eight and your new script. Still under French Windows 7, it works okay but I cannot use the prefix key nore can I change it. The scripts seem to be well installed, as insert Q reports Revision 60 for  Skype Windows desktop 8 electron

I wonder if it is because my Skype language is set to French?

Thanks for helping,

best,

JPR

http://www.jprykiel.com
http://soundcloud.com/ryksounet
http://twitter.com/ryksounet
http://facebook.com/jeanphilipperykiel

Jean Philippe

Hi Doug and all,

I just installed Skype eight and its corresponding script. Still under French Windows 7, it works okay but I cannot use the prefix key nor can I change it. The scripts seem to be well installed, as insert Q reports Revision 60 for  Skype Windows desktop 8 electron

I wonder if it is because my Skype language is set to French?

Thanks for helping,

best,

JPR

http://www.jprykiel.com
http://soundcloud.com/ryksounet
http://twitter.com/ryksounet
http://facebook.com/jeanphilipperykiel

Michele Barbi

Hey Jean, could you please tell me what keys are you trying to press? In other words, how do you make a left braket in French?

Jean Philippe

Hi Michele,

For the moment, I tried to switch to QWERTY and type the left bracket sign, just Next to the P right< But even this did not work>

Cheers,

Le 10/10/2018 à 10:48, Michele Barbi a écrit :
Hey Jean, could you please tell me what keys are you trying to press? In other words, how do you make a left braket in French?

Quite strange, I remember when this system was introduced that this key worked as Skype command key, while in Italian we need to use alt gr in combination with that key for making a left braket. We in Italian need to change Skype command key btw...

My guess is it at some point got changed to something unexpected. You can always try editing it in skypeelectron.jcf. If you've tried to change the key, there should be an MKCSOptions section in that file containing the
assignment. If you change it there, my script code will update all the jkm entries that use it when you next switch focus back into Skype.

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 10:24:00AM +0200, Jean Philippe wrote:
Hi Doug and all,

I just installed Skype eight and its corresponding script. Still under French
Windows 7, it works okay but I cannot use the prefix key nor can I change it.
The scripts seem to be well installed, as insert Q reports Revision 60 for??
Skype Windows desktop 8 electron

I wonder if it is because my Skype language is set to French?

Thanks for helping,

best,

JPR

http://www.jprykiel.com
http://soundcloud.com/ryksounet
http://twitter.com/ryksounet
http://facebook.com/jeanphilipperykiel

"If you refuse to be made straight when you are green,
you will not be made straight when you are dry." {African}

Jean Philippe

Hi Doug.

I'm using Jaws 2018  under French Windows 7, Jaws key plus F1 twice opens the Scripts user guide, and Jaws key plus Q reports the revision
number, which makes me think that the script is active> But the left bracket sign only Gets Jaws to pronounce, left bracket.

So it's the JCF I should look at, not theJSS?

Best,

JP

Le 10/10/2018 à 12:40, Doug Lee a écrit :
[...]

Doug Lee

Yes, the jcf. The jss would contain a default value, but the jcf is where any updates to it go for a user; so the jcf setting will override the jss value for that key if found.

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 01:02:01PM +0200, Jean Philippe wrote:
Hi Doug.

I'm using Jaws 2018?? under French Windows 7, Jaws key plus F1 twice opens the
Scripts user guide, and Jaws key plus Q reports the revision
number, which makes me think that the script is active> But the left bracket
sign only Gets Jaws to pronounce, left bracket.

So it's the JCF I should look at, not theJSS?

Best,

JP

http://www.jprykiel.com
http://soundcloud.com/ryksounet
http://twitter.com/ryksounet
http://facebook.com/jeanphilipperykiel

Le 10/10/2018 ?? 12:40, Doug Lee a ??crit??:
[...]

"No person is your friend who demands your silence or denies your
right to grow." --Alice Walker

Jean Philippe

hi Doug.

I need to know how to do this. First, do you have to open this file in notepad? How do you do this? If I type Application key on a JCF file, and go to open with, notepad is not in the list.

Then, do you do a search for MKCSOptions?

thanks,

Le 10/10/2018 à 13:07, Doug Lee a écrit :
[...]

Ah, I thought Notepad would be an option there... so here is one alternative:

Open "Explore My Settings" for your JAWS version using your Start menu or Start screen, or otherwise navigate to that folder manually. One manual approach would be to open %APPDATA% from the Run box, then go to Freedom
Scientific, JAWS, your JAWS version, Settings, fra (if that's your language code; I forget that one).

Find skypeelectron.jcf and press Shift with the Applications key. This gets you a longer Context menu than usual.

From this extended menu, select "Copy as path" to get the full path of the file onto the clipboard.

Now open Notepad, type Ctrl+O, and paste that path into the box to open the file there.

Find the [MKCSOptions] line, then the line below that. Edit what comes after the = sign to be the key you want. Save with Ctrl+S and test. If this does not work, try using a name for the key; e.g., ` versus accent.

If you did not find a [MKCSOptions] line at all, go to the bottom of the file, add one, then on the next line enter something like CommandKey=[ (replacing [ with your key of course). Save with Ctrl+S and test.

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 01:28:42PM +0200, Jean Philippe wrote:
hi Doug.

I need to know how to do this. First, do you have to open this file in
notepad? How do you do this? If I type Application key on a JCF file, and go
to open with, notepad is not in the list.

Then, do you do a search for MKCSOptions?

thanks,

JPR

http://www.jprykiel.com
http://soundcloud.com/ryksounet
http://twitter.com/ryksounet
http://facebook.com/jeanphilipperykiel

Le 10/10/2018 ?? 13:07, Doug Lee a ??crit??:
[...]

There is more freedom in knowing how to handle pain than in knowing
how to avoid it. (4/29/01)

Jean Philippe

Hi Doug,

I was able to do the change, but still no luck. No prefix key, the only thing that happens when you press the key in question is that Jaws pronounces it. Same in Jaws 18.

I wonder what could be happen

ing.

Best,

JPR

http://jeanphilipperykiel.com

Le 10/10/2018 à 14:05, Doug Lee a écrit :
Ah, I thought Notepad would be an option there... so here is one alternative:

Open "Explore My Settings" for your JAWS version using your Start menu or Start screen, or otherwise navigate to that folder manually. One manual approach would be to open %APPDATA% from the Run box, then go to Freedom
Scientific, JAWS, your JAWS version, Settings, fra (if that's your language code; I forget that one).

Find skypeelectron.jcf and press Shift with the Applications key. This gets you a longer Context menu than usual.

From this extended menu, select "Copy as path" to get the full path of the file onto the clipboard.
[...]

Hey guys, first of all I'd like to thank Doug because I did not know these step for copying the file location. We always learn something new, lol!
Jean, be careful to one thing which I noticed. I don't know why, but at least here in Italian, ctrl+s opens a window like Save as, and if asked to replace already existing file, you should say yes.
I am now reading that you did not manage to fix the issue, so make sure if Notepad did not create an alternative file called skypeelectron.jcf.txt. Yesterday I had to count with it working on a jsm file for another scripts set.

Jean Philippe

Hi Michele.

I can confirm that no Extra file has been created and that the CFG Replace the Previous one, as its Modification date is today.

I think I tried everything I could, including removing all files from the Skype seven scripts, who knows, and switching to the English version of jaws where scripts Were also installed.

What else can I try? Something in Jaws commun  settings that could get in the way maybe
? I have no idea.

Le 10/10/2018 à 14:28, Michele Barbi a écrit :
Hey guys, first of all I'd like to thank Doug because I did not know these step for copying the file location. We always learn something new, lol!
Jean, be careful to one thing which I noticed. I don't know why, but at least here in Italian, ctrl+s opens a window like Save as, and if asked to replace already existing file, you should say yes.
I am now reading that you did not manage to fix the issue, so make sure if Notepad did not create an alternative file called skypeelectron.jcf.txt. Yesterday I had to count with it working on a jsm file for another scripts set.

I still bet the problem is that JAWS wants a particular name for that key instead of just the key itself.

Apologies if I missed it amid all else today lol, but what key are you trying to assign as the Command key? If it is a shifted key, use "Shift+" with the regular key or key name; e.g., CommandKey=T is bad, but
CommandKey=Shift+t is good.

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 06:40:39PM +0200, Jean Philippe wrote:
Hi Michele.

I can confirm that no Extra file has been created and that the CFG Replace the
Previous one, as its Modification date is today.

I think I tried everything I could, including removing all files from the
Skype seven scripts, who knows, and switching to the English version of jaws
where scripts Were also installed.

What else can I try? Something in Jaws commun?? settings that could get in the
way maybe
? I have no idea.

Best,

JPR

http://www.jprykiel.com

http://soundcloud.com/ryksounet
http://twitter.com/ryksounet
http://facebook.com/jeanphilipperykiel

Le 10/10/2018 ?? 14:28, Michele Barbi a ??crit??:
Hey guys, first of all I'd like to thank Doug because I did not know these
step for copying the file location. We always learn something new, lol!
Jean, be careful to one thing which I noticed. I don't know why, but at
least here in Italian, ctrl+s opens a window like Save as, and if asked to
replace already existing file, you should say yes.
I am now reading that you did not manage to fix the issue, so make sure if
Notepad did not create an alternative file called skypeelectron.jcf.txt.
Yesterday I had to count with it working on a jsm file for another scripts
set.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's
character, give him power." -Abraham Lincoln

Jean Philippe

Hi Doug,

the key I would like to assign is², which is the same as` on a French keyboard.

But even in other jaws versions where I haven't changed the JCF file, the default key,left bracket, is not working. I know how odd it may sound.

Le 10/10/2018 à 19:35, Doug Lee a écrit :
[...]

In my mail program, the first key name you gave prints as ?? so I can't tell what it is. ` printed fine.

Most likely, the key name we want is the one that goes through the KeyPressedEvent function as the value of strKeyName when you press the key; but it takes some considerable fiddling to get that name to print, unless
I missed a tactic somewhere.

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 08:31:46PM +0200, Jean Philippe wrote:
Hi Doug,

the key I would like to assign is??, which is the same as` on a French
keyboard.

But even in other jaws versions where I haven't changed the JCF file, the
default key,left bracket, is not working. I know how odd it may sound.

Best,

JPR

http://www.jprykiel.com
http://soundcloud.com/ryksounet
http://twitter.com/ryksounet
http://facebook.com/jeanphilipperykiel

Le 10/10/2018 ?? 19:35, Doug Lee a ??crit??:
[...]

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both
incisive and probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by
dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper." --Rod Serling

Jean Philippe

Le 10/10/2018 à 20:48, Doug Lee a écrit :
[...]

And any ASCII value above decimal 127 is out of the normal range for printable characters; so I expect that key has a name in JAWS. We just need to know what it is.

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 09:17:48PM +0200, Jean Philippe wrote:
Wow. stranger. The ASCII value is 178 .
Cheers,
JPR

http://www.jprykiel.com
http://soundcloud.com/ryksounet
http://twitter.com/ryksounet
http://facebook.com/jeanphilipperykiel

Le 10/10/2018 ?? 20:48, Doug Lee a ??crit??:
[...]

"Our chief want in life is somebody who will make us do what
we can. {Ralph Waldo Emerson}

Jean Philippe

Hi Doug,

Jaws says something like superscript 2, But I don't know if I spell it right. Does it help?

Anyway, I would still like to know why the default prefix key does not work either.

I could even try another key if you want, even a letter would do I imagine, and I can take one that is the same for French and English keyboards. What do you say?

Le 10/10/2018 à 21:24, Doug Lee a écrit :
[...]

Ideas to try besides a temporary letter:
` or accent
~ or Shift+` or Shift+accent
< or Shift+,
F2 Shift+F2 etc.

A bit of tech info to help your curiosity:

When you type a key, one thing that happens is a KeyPressedEvent call, into which a key name is passed. It is this name that we need, because my code uses that name to recognize the prefix key. The name is usually the literal
key for letters and numbers in my experience, but I don't know how that works in all languages.

I'm sorry my answers have been brief today. I'm working on several other projects and have not had a chance to dig very deep into this.

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 09:42:46PM +0200, Jean Philippe wrote:
Hi Doug,

Jaws says something like superscript 2, But I don't know if I spell it right.
Does it help?

Anyway, I would still like to know why the default prefix key does not work
either.

I could even try another key if you want, even a letter would do I imagine,
and I can take one that is the same for French and English keyboards. What do
you say?

Best,

JPR

http://www.jprykiel.com

http://soundcloud.com/ryksounet
http://twitter.com/ryksounet
http://facebook.com/jeanphilipperykiel

Le 10/10/2018 ?? 21:24, Doug Lee a ??crit??:
[...]

"The best executive is the one who has sense enough to pick good men to do
what he wants done, and self-restraint enough to keep from meddling with
them while they do it."--Theodore Roosevelt