Topics

Skype 8.51, split view and JAWS scripts

Marius Swart

Hi Doug and list.  After updating to Skype 8.51.0.6, and modifying the ConfigNames.ini file according to your instructions (I’m using JAWS 2019 June release), and enabling split view mode, here’s what I found.

The scripts work properly in the Skype main window, but when split view mode is enabled, the scripts do not work in the separate chat window.  After disabling split view mode, I found that the scripts worked properly in both the Skype main window and an active chat.

I’m not expecting you to come up with a workaround, I’m just reporting in case anyone hasn’t noticed yet.

Marius

Jerry Pryde

I was looking at the options with that version of Skype.

I found one that said Skype in compact view swiched

 off.
For me, I don't get multiple conversations anyway, so it's not a priority.
It's just one of those things I'll figure out when I need it.
Just my opinion based on experince, nothing more.On 2019-08-21 2:48 p.m., Marius Swart wrote:

Hi Doug and list.  After updating to Skype 8.51.0.6, and modifying the ConfigNames.ini file according to your instructions (I’m using JAWS 2019 June release), and enabling split view mode, here’s what I found.

The scripts work properly in the Skype main window, but when split view mode is enabled, the scripts do not work in the separate chat window.  After disabling split view mode, I found that the scripts worked properly in both the Skype main window and an active chat.

I’m not expecting you to come up with a workaround, I’m just reporting in case anyone hasn’t noticed yet.

Marius

Doug Lee

I will want to look at supporting split-view mode; but as it is in an Insider version only, I currently don't have it to test.

To address a remark in a related email: "Compact List mode" is something else and has been around for quite a while.

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 08:48:41PM +0200, Marius Swart wrote:
Hi Doug and list. After updating to Skype 8.51.0.6, and modifying the
ConfigNames.ini file according to your instructions (Iâm using JAWS
2019 June release), and enabling split view mode, hereâs what I found.

The scripts work properly in the Skype main window, but when split view
mode is enabled, the scripts do not work in the separate chat window.Â
After disabling split view mode, I found that the scripts worked
properly in both the Skype main window and an active chat.

Iâm not expecting you to come up with a workaround, Iâm just reporting
in case anyone hasnât noticed yet.

Marius

References

1. https://skypeenglish.groups.io/g/main/message/4150
2. mailto:main@skypeenglish.groups.io?subject=Re: [skypeenglish] Skype 8.51, split view and JAWS scripts
3. mailto:nightowl69@...?subject=Private: Re: [skypeenglish] Skype 8.51, split view and JAWS scripts
4. https://groups.io/mt/32981809/409874
5. https://skypeenglish.groups.io/g/main/post
6. http://www.dlee.org/skype/
7. https://skypeenglish.groups.io/g/main/editsub/409874
8. mailto:main+owner@skypeenglish.groups.io
9. https://skypeenglish.groups.io/g/main/leave/defanged

"The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit
of it. You have to catch up with it yourself." --Benjamin Franklin

Marius Swart

Doug, split view mode is available in the Skype update I downloaded just a
few hours ago. The version I'm running is 8.51.0.6. The update downloaded
as soon as I opened Skype this evening my time.

Level Access doug.lee@...
http://www.LevelAccess.com
"The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit
of it. You have to catch up with it yourself." --Benjamin Franklin

Jerry Pryde

Yep.

Just found it a few minutes ago, right in More Options; Enable Split View.

Curiosity kicked in, and there it was.

On 2019-08-21 3:12 p.m., Marius Swart wrote:
[...]

Gary Jackson

I have split view enabled but The sounds for receiving a message has gone away. The option for the sound is checked in notifications.

Gary

On 2019-08-21 3:12 p.m., Marius Swart wrote:
[...]

Aha! I had not looked in the right place since upgrading, largely because I was told the feature was not in my build lol. In any case, just one scant minute ago, I got Split View activated over here. Got a manager meeting and
one or two other concerns on my plate yet today; but barring problems and given energy, this is on top of my list to check out now.

My version, though, is 8.51.0.86. I only now realized that the below-mentioned 8.51.0.6 was probably not a different version but just a missing 8. :-)

On 2019-08-21 3:12 p.m., Marius Swart wrote:
[...]

I disabled

 it again, in case the chat sounds are gone.

On 2019-08-21 3:12 p.m., Marius Swart wrote:
[...]

Does Insert+Q in a chat window say Revision... or Chrome?

On 2019-08-21 3:12 p.m., Marius Swart wrote:
[...]

"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then...find
the way." - Abraham Lincoln

Jerry Pryde

Mine says Revision 113.

On 2019-08-21 3:12 p.m., Marius Swart wrote:
[...]

Michele Barbi

Hi guys, I figured out on my hand the split view is now available, though it wasn't untill last monday. I tested it and I figured out that the scripts aren't recognized inside a chat, I have revision 121 but ins+q says Google chrome settings are loaded when pressed inside a chat. Disabled immediately.

Jerry Pryde

I found the scripts worked as usual in split mode, and ins-q said the script revision.

I just disabled it in case the sounds don't work.

I'm sure this will all be figured out in time.

On 2019-08-21 5:54 p.m., Michele Barbi wrote:

Hi guys, I figured out on my hand the split view is now available, though it wasn't untill last monday. I tested it and I figured out that the scripts aren't recognized inside a chat, I have revision 121 but ins+q says Google chrome settings are loaded when pressed inside a chat. Disabled immediately.

Thanks Jerry for your report, I don't know why it happens that problem on my hand, possibly because of JAWS not fully updated but this is just my supposing.

A friend of mine said that he doesn't have this mode yet, he's using NVDA as his primary screen reader but I don't think this can have anything to do. My theory is, split view is gradually rolling out for users, like some Whatsapp features such as calls.

Andre Polykanine

Hi Jerry,
Sorry, but I can't find it even with sighted help. Could you please
give me a hint?
Thanks.

--
With best regards from Ukraine,
Andre

On 2019-08-21 3:12 p.m., Marius Swart wrote:
[...]

I've got the latest Skype version.

Just tab to where it says More Options button, click on that.

Scroll down and you should see where it says Enable Split screen, and click on that.

On 2019-08-23 7:09 a.m., Andre Polykanine wrote:
Hi Jerry,
Sorry, but I can't find it even with sighted help. Could you please
give me a hint?
Thanks.

Michele Barbi

Hello guys, as I mentioned on the other day, a friend of mine still did not see it, I don't know if today he does though. I think they're gradually rolling out this feature.

inam din

When I contacted to Skype support, they said to me that the developers has removed split view for improving it.

As far as myself is concern, I’m using Skype 8.51.0.86 and I have split view.

AOL:

charlsdarwin1969@...

Join me with my Skype ID:

charlsdarwin1