Topics

Skype 7 to 8 upgrades underway apparently

Doug Lee

I am hearing today that some people are being spontaneously upgraded from Skype 7 (Classic) to Skype 8 (Electron). I believe this is on Windows, but it would not surprise me if MacOS is also included. I assume this is one of
those wave-by-wave Microsoft rollouts. If so, it is occurring a few months later than Microsoft announced it would at least.

Perhaps useful resource reminders:

JAWS scripts for Skype 8 are at https://www.dlee.org/skype/electron/ These work with JAWS versions 17 and later. (The JAWS 17 limit is imposed by older JAWS versions not working well in general with Electron apps like Skype 8.)

A simple NVDA add-on for Skype 8 is at https://www.dlee.org/skype/electron/skype.nvda-addon

To answer one frequently-asked question before it gets asked on this list: I did not implement Alt+numbers or Ctrl+numbers for reading chat messages in either JAWS or NVDA because of the way the chat history is organized in
Skype 8. In short, I am not convinced that there is a reliable way for scripts or add-ons to announce the "last" message, because it can at any moment happen not to be on screen due to scrolling or message arrival without
scrolling.

My preferred way to read chat messages, in both JAWS and NVDA and Skype 8, is to Shift+Tab from the chat input box to the message list and then use arrows to move among messages.

Skype 7 was a wonderful app for us. I find Skype 8 usable, slim, fast, and overall pretty efficient for my needs, though not as feature-rich as Skype 7. Our focus will now need to be on learning to use this newer Skype, and on
helping Microsoft improve it as necessary.

One final note, based on past message threads: Let us not diverge from here into a discussion of the merits of Skype 7 versus 8, the wisdom or folly of Microsoft's replacement of Skype 7, etc. That horse is so dead the the
flies buzzed off half a year ago. :-) I instead wish for everyone the best possible experience with Skype 8, and I plan to remain active as necessary in addressing any issues with it that may appear in the future.

"Never does the human soul appear so strong as when it foregoes
revenge, and dares forgive an injury." --E. H. Chapin

Jerry Pryde

Thanks billions, Doug.

I'll be looking into upgrading JAWS ASAP.

I tried to make a call this afternoon, and just after the call connected, Skype 7 unloaded, and the update notice came up.

A link to an updated list of hot keys for skype 8 would be appreciated, along with any tutorials if possible.

I'll be back on skype, and learning anything new; it's just a matter of time.

It is what it is. lol

Jerry.

On 07/01/2019 6:52 p.m., Doug Lee wrote:
[...]

Sarah k Alawami

I now also have the windows 10 essentials add on. I heard that skype is integrated into that, I mean some skype support. What changes do you know of for nvda users in regard to skype, or would I have to take this up with Joseph who is not to my knowledge on said list.

Take care

On 7 Jan 2019, at 15:52, Doug Lee wrote:

[...]

Josephine Hirsch

? how can I use voice chat with Skype Electron?

On 1/7/2019 6:11 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[...]

If you mean sending voice clips I don't think you can. If you mean calling I believe the windows short cut is control shift p, but don't quote me on that.

On 7 Jan 2019, at 20:34, Josephine Hirsch wrote:

[...]

Mike DeZinno

Thumbs up Jerry,
I second your gracious appreciation to Doug for all he does for all of us.

Also I to would also greatly appreciate an up dated latest greatest list of hot keys for Skype 8 as the complete best list to refer to when trying to improve our skills.

Happy New Year to all, and may 2019 be the year we all forget about Skype 7! LOL
Mike in SC

At 07:05 PM 1/7/2019, you wrote:
[...]

Michele Barbi

Hello guys, well really some friends of mine were forcely upgraded since a bit of time, one of them during this holidays period I think...
For those who asked for the hotkeys list, try clicking here: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12025/what-are-keyboard-shortcuts-and-how-do-i-use-them-in-skype
The table also contains Mac hotkeys btw.

Jerry Pryde

Thanks Billions, Barbuz.

Just for interest's sake, here's what happens when I launch Skype 7:

The sign in sound happens, and all the contacts load as usual.

Then, it signs out, and the update option pops up, with a Quit button.

Anyway, I'll be skyping again soon enought.

On 08/01/2019 3:52 a.m., Michele Barbi wrote:
Hello guys, well really some friends of mine were forcely upgraded since a bit of time, one of them during this holidays period I think...
For those who asked for the hotkeys list, try clicking here: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12025/what-are-keyboard-shortcuts-and-how-do-i-use-them-in-skype
The table also contains Mac hotkeys btw.

jazzyjennifer

i am all ready using skype 8 i don't need to upgrade, when i thought that microsoft was going to stop support in september, of 2018 i just decided to jump the gun, and upgrade, and just leave it that way, eve after i herd taht microsoft was going to extend, the clasic skype. i just decided to swtick with 8. and not down grade, since i new that eventuly i was going to have to upgrade,  weather i was forced, or what. to upgrade, i find skype 8 not all taht bad. actuly. sure the interface, is different, then what were use to.

Josephine Hirsch

I tried to the test on the vocie chat, and no sound is coming out. It is really sucks. What am I doing wrong?

On 1/8/2019 10:47 AM, jazzyjennifer wrote:
i am all ready using skype 8 i don't need to upgrade, when i thought that microsoft was going to stop support in september, of 2018 i just decided to jump the gun, and upgrade, and just leave it that way, eve after i herd taht microsoft was going to extend, the clasic skype. i just decided to swtick with 8. and not down grade, since i new that eventuly i was going to have to upgrade,  weather i was forced, or what. to upgrade, i find skype 8 not all taht bad. actuly. sure the interface, is different, then what were use to.

Doug Lee

I have not kept up with Skype UWP recently since by far most people seem to be going to Skype 8 instead, admittedly contrary to my early expectations. I do know that Joseph Lee's Windows 10 App Essentials covers Skype UWP well
enough for people to use it. I also believe, but have not tried to test in months, that Skype UWP is more full-featured but slower to respond than Skype 8.

[1]https://www.dlee.org/skype/electron/ These work with JAWS
[2]https://www.dlee.org/skype/electron/skype.nvda-addon
--
Doug Lee dgl@... [3]http://www.dlee.org