Topics

Skype8.5 & skrypts?

Sugar Lopez

Greetings

I hope this message goes through. Smile

I use jaws 17, windows 10 and office 2016.

I think the uwp will not work on my version of jaws since I don’t have18.

I think I was told that 8.5 or8.25, not sure which it was would work for jaws 17

Can someone confirm and if they would be so kind to send me the direct link and skripts that go with this?

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Hanks

Sugar

"A day without a friend is like a pot without a drop of honey."

-Winnie the Pooh

Please support me in my journey to another opportunity of life at:

Hugs, Sugar

Michele Barbi

Hi Sugar and all.
I recently checked the system requirements for Skype UWP, and figured out that yeah they require JAWS 18. Since you're using 17, if you are not able to upgrade, better for you to use Skype 8.25 for Windows desktop. The scripts are available at www.dlee.org/skype/electron
I don't have a direct link for Skype though at the moment.

Josephine Hirsch

have you thought of System Access to go for Skype 8.25

It works very well with System Access to go

On 7/30/2018 9:47 AM, Michele Barbi wrote:
Hi Sugar and all.
I recently checked the system requirements for Skype UWP, and figured out that yeah they require JAWS 18. Since you're using 17, if you are not able to upgrade, better for you to use Skype 8.25 for Windows desktop. The scripts are available at www.dlee.org/skype/electron
I don't have a direct link for Skype though at the moment.

Lino Morales

Hi Sugar. If you can’t afford updating JAWS I highly recommend NVDA.

www.nvaccess.org/

As Doug already stated there is an NVDA add-on that works with Skype 8.25. Speaking of that add-on, Doug you need to upload that to the NVDA community add-ons pages.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

have you thought of System Access to go for Skype 8.25

It works very well with System Access to go

On 7/30/2018 9:47 AM, Michele Barbi wrote:
> Hi Sugar and all.
> I recently checked the system requirements for Skype UWP, and figured
> out that yeah they require JAWS 18. Since you're using 17, if you are
> not able to upgrade, better for you to use Skype 8.25 for Windows
> desktop. The scripts are available at www.dlee.org/skype/electron
> I don't have a direct link for Skype though at the moment.
> Bye!
> Barbuz

Doug Lee

I don't consider myself ready to prepare add-ons for that page in most cases, for both time and know-how reasons. I am not opposed to getting them there at some point, but I have no timeline for it yet.

[1]www.nvaccess.org/

As Doug already stated there is an NVDA add-on that works with Skype
8.25. Speaking of that add-on, Doug you need to upload that to the NVDA
community add-ons pages.

Sent from [2]Mail for Windows 10

have you thought of System Access to go for Skype 8.25
It works very well with System Access to go
On 7/30/2018 9:47 AM, Michele Barbi wrote:
> Hi Sugar and all.
> I recently checked the system requirements for Skype UWP, and figured
> out that yeah they require JAWS 18. Since you're using 17, if you are
> not able to upgrade, better for you to use Skype 8.25 for Windows
> desktop. The scripts are available at [3]www.dlee.org/skype/electron
> I don't have a direct link for Skype though at the moment.
> Bye!
> Barbuz

References

1. http://www.nvaccess.org/
2. https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986
3. http://www.dlee.org/skype/electron
5. mailto:skypeenglish@groups.io?subject=Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bskypeenglish%5D%20Skype8.5%20%26%20skrypts%3F
6. mailto:linomorales001@gmail.com?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bskypeenglish%5D%20Skype8.5%20%26%20skrypts%3F

Snowmen fall from heaven, unassembled.
--anon

Jerry Pryde

Q:
Is it easy to alternate between NVDA and JAWS?

have you thought of System Access to go for Skype 8.25
It works very well with System Access to go
On 7/30/2018 9:47 AM, Michele Barbi wrote:
> Hi Sugar and all.
> I recently checked the system requirements for Skype UWP, and figured
> out that yeah they require JAWS 18. Since you're using 17, if you are
> not able to upgrade, better for you to use Skype 8.25 for Windows
> desktop. The scripts are available at [3]www.dlee.org/skype/electron
> I don't have a direct link for Skype though at the moment.
> Bye!
> Barbuz

References

1. http://www.nvaccess.org/
2. https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986
3. http://www.dlee.org/skype/electron
5. mailto:skypeenglish@groups.io?subject=Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bskypeenglish%5D%20Skype8.5%20%26%20skrypts%3F
6. mailto:linomorales001@gmail.com?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bskypeenglish%5D%20Skype8.5%20%26%20skrypts%3F

Snowmen fall from heaven, unassembled.
--anon

Lino Morales

Sure. Just unload JAWS and run NVDA and visy versy as Tigger once said.

mailto:linomorales001@...?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bskypeenglish%5D%20Skype8.5%20%26%20skrypts%3F

Doug Lee                 dgl@...                http://www.dlee.org
Level Access             doug.lee@...
http://www.LevelAccess.com
Snowmen fall from heaven, unassembled.
--anon

Sarah k Alawami

Very much so. I did it i a matter of about a week of contant practice and that was 8 years ago. i threw jaws away and have not used it since.

Take care

-----Original Message----- From: Doug Lee

Doug Lee dgl@dlee.org
http://www.dlee.org
Snowmen fall from heaven, unassembled.
--anon

Doug Lee

This has slowly become easier, but I still make navigation mistakes when doing it; so I tend to try to stay in each screen reader for a fairly large block of time. As it happens, I now have several active JAWS scripting
contracts; so my NVDA time has, not to make too bad a pun of it, contracted a bit. :-)

Just for general interest btw, a few comparisons. These are all my observations and opinions. As a side note, I wrote most of this before recalling that I'm writing to the SkypeEnglish list rather than to an NVDA add-on
developer list; so any non-tech folk may freely exit here if they wish. :-)

- JAWS scripting documentation is more centralized and organized, though the NVDA community is actively working on this.

- The NVDA community has considerably heavier structure expectations than the JAWS community on coding projects. This is largely because the NVDA community considers NVDA add-ons to be a part of NVDA and thus wants add-ons to
be subject to similar quality expectations.

- The NVDA community offers an automatic translation system for add-on writers. If an add-on can come up to the structural requirements and the author can meet the requirements of that system, translation to many languages
becomes easier in NVDA than in JAWS. To date, I have not managed to get any of my add-ons to qualify, however. This is up to me, by the way, and no fault of the NVDA community.

- Python, the language of choice for NVDA add-ons, allows much more to be done in far less code than is true for JAWS scripting. The trick, I find, is figuring out exactly what to do. :-) As a concrete example, I tend to add
output to the JAWS SayWindowTitle command to improve the user's knowledge of what is key about the current screen. To do this in JAWS, I override the SayWindowTitle script. To do this in NVDA, I could likewise override the
script for that command but have no easy way to call the original version if I do. This means I either have to recode that command myself, or find a way to "chain" mine to the original, as I do in JAWS. I prefer the latter,
but that turned out to be quite the exercise when I started playing with it a few months ago. Consistent with my current point, it does not require a lot of code; but the code that is required is not necessarily easy to
determine.

- In some cases, NVDA is better at determining a name for the active application. JAWS can return the name of a DLL used by the active application instead of the name of the application itself. Cisco Jabber is a major example:
JAWS may return any of over 20 DLL names where NVDA just returns the .exe name.

- On the other side of that coin, JAWS includes a system for scripting individual websites, where NVDA does not. JAWS may also be ahead of NVDA in the scriptability of Electron apps, though I am not yet certain of this.

- JAWS places no licensing restrictions on third-party scripts. NVDA requires all add-ons to be covered by the GNU license, version 2. Though much confusion exists over this, this situation is abundantly clear to me: Every NVDA
add-on must be open-source. As a rule, I'm fine with this and find it refreshing not to have to worry about licensing and ownership issues in some cases; but this regulation can also come at an occasional cost. For example, a
few years ago, I worked on a three-month contract that required me to sign an agreement saying I would not contribute any code to any GNU project for the duration of that contract. For three months, I can do that; but as a
personal commitment, I would not sign on to that sort of agreement long term. The concerns giving rise to that requirement related to intellectual property and trade secrets, and I consider these valid concerns but concerns
that would take too long to explain in this slist of points.

Level Access doug.lee@LevelAccess.com
http://www.LevelAccess.com
Snowmen fall from heaven, unassembled.
--anon

"While they were saying among themselves it cannot be done, it was
done." --Helen Keller

Sugar Lopez

Thank you Doug,
I do appreciate all you do and have done.
Guess I'm just a little lost and I don't want to be "with out" once Sept 1st
comes aaround and my skype7.4 will not work?
I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
Thanks so much.
Sugar

. "Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming
gardeners who make our souls blossom."
-Please support me in my journey to another opportunity of life at:
Hugs, Sugar

have you thought of System Access to go for Skype 8.25
It works very well with System Access to go
On 7/30/2018 9:47 AM, Michele Barbi wrote:
> Hi Sugar and all.
> I recently checked the system requirements for Skype UWP, and figured
> out that yeah they require JAWS 18. Since you're using 17, if you are
> not able to upgrade, better for you to use Skype 8.25 for Windows
> desktop. The scripts are available at [3]www.dlee.org/skype/electron
> I don't have a direct link for Skype though at the moment.
> Bye!
> Barbuz

References

1. http://www.nvaccess.org/
2. https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986
3. http://www.dlee.org/skype/electron
5.
mailto:skypeenglish@groups.io?subject=Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bskypeenglish%5D%20Sky
pe8.5%20%26%20skrypts%3F
6.
mailto:linomorales001@gmail.com?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bskypeeng
lish%5D%20Skype8.5%20%26%20skrypts%3F

Level Access doug.lee@LevelAccess.com
http://www.LevelAccess.com
Snowmen fall from heaven, unassembled.
--anon

Sugar Lopez

Awesome, thank you that is a big help and start for me.
Sugar

. "Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom."
-Please support me in my journey to another opportunity of life at:
Hugs, Sugar

I recently checked the system requirements for Skype UWP, and figured out that yeah they require JAWS 18. Since you're using 17, if you are not able to upgrade, better for you to use Skype 8.25 for Windows desktop. The scripts are available at www.dlee.org/skype/electron I don't have a direct link for Skype though at the moment.

Sugar Lopez

Thanks. I have nvda as a back up for mu jaws

So I guess my question now is jaws 17 won’t work with 8.25?

sugar

. "Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom."

-Please support me in my journey to another opportunity of life at:

Hugs, Sugar

have you thought of System Access to go for Skype 8.25

It works very well with System Access to go

On 7/30/2018 9:47 AM, Michele Barbi wrote:
> Hi Sugar and all.
> I recently checked the system requirements for Skype UWP, and figured
> out that yeah they require JAWS 18. Since you're using 17, if you are
> not able to upgrade, better for you to use Skype 8.25 for Windows
> desktop. The scripts are available at www.dlee.org/skype/electron
> I don't have a direct link for Skype though at the moment.
> Bye!
> Barbuz

inamuddin khan

No it will not work under JAWS 17!

Inamuddin.ronaque@...

Add my Skype ID:
charlsdarwin1
Meet me on facebook:
www.facebook.com/inamuddin786

Follow me on my twitter ID:
www.twitter.com/charlsdarwin1

Call me on my cell numbers:

have you thought of System Access to go for Skype 8.25

It works very well with System Access to go

On 7/30/2018 9:47 AM, Michele Barbi wrote:
> Hi Sugar and all.
> I recently checked the system requirements for Skype UWP, and figured
> out that yeah they require JAWS 18. Since you're using 17, if you are
> not able to upgrade, better for you to use Skype 8.25 for Windows
> desktop. The scripts are available at www.dlee.org/skype/electron
> I don't have a direct link for Skype though at the moment.
> Bye!
> Barbuz

Doug Lee

Skype 8.25 should work with JAWS 17, 18, and 2018 with my scripts.

Skype UWP should work with JAWS 18 and 2018 and my scripts, but not with JAWS 17.

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 11:30:53PM +0500, inamuddin khan wrote:
No it will not work under JAWS 17!

[1]inamuddin09@gmail.com

[2]Inamuddin.ronaque@gmail.com

outlook:
[3]inam092@outlook.com

yahoo:
[4]inamuddin2010@yahoo.ca

Add my Skype ID:
charlsdarwin1
Meet me on facebook:
[5]www.facebook.com/inamuddin786

Follow me on my twitter ID:
[6]www.twitter.com/charlsdarwin1

Call me on my cell numbers:

[9]www.nvaccess.org/

As Doug already stated there is an NVDA add-on that works with Skype
8.25. Speaking of that add-on, Doug you need to upload that to the NVDA
community add-ons pages.

Sent from [10]Mail for Windows 10

[INLINE]

have you thought of System Access to go for Skype 8.25
It works very well with System Access to go
On 7/30/2018 9:47 AM, Michele Barbi wrote:
> Hi Sugar and all.
> I recently checked the system requirements for Skype UWP, and figured
> out that yeah they require JAWS 18. Since you're using 17, if you are
> not able to upgrade, better for you to use Skype 8.25 for Windows
> desktop. The scripts are available at [15]www.dlee.org/skype/electron
> I don't have a direct link for Skype though at the moment.
> Bye!
> Barbuz

References

1. mailto:inamuddin09@gmail.com
2. mailto:Inamuddin.ronaque@gmail.com
3. mailto:inam092@outlook.com
4. mailto:inamuddin2010@yahoo.ca
5. http://www.facebook.com/inamuddin786
6. http://www.twitter.com/charlsdarwin1
7. mailto:sugarsyl71@sbcglobal.net
8. mailto:skypeenglish@groups.io
9. http://www.nvaccess.org/
10. https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986
11. mailto:skypeenglish@groups.io
12. mailto:skypeenglish@groups.io
13. mailto:animalsloversjh@gmail.com
14. mailto:skypeenglish@groups.io
15. http://www.dlee.org/skype/electron
17. mailto:skypeenglish@groups.io?subject=Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bskypeenglish%5D%20Skype8.5%20%26%20skrypts%3F
18. mailto:inamuddin09@gmail.com?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bskypeenglish%5D%20Skype8.5%20%26%20skrypts%3F

Snowmen fall from heaven, unassembled.
--anon

Sugar Lopez

Thank you dough for that confirmation. A friend did tell me that but was not
sure.
Thanks again.
Sugar

. "Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming
gardeners who make our souls blossom."
-Please support me in my journey to another opportunity of life at:
Hugs, Sugar

have you thought of System Access to go for Skype 8.25
It works very well with System Access to go
On 7/30/2018 9:47 AM, Michele Barbi wrote:
> Hi Sugar and all.
> I recently checked the system requirements for Skype UWP, and figured
> out that yeah they require JAWS 18. Since you're using 17, if you are
> not able to upgrade, better for you to use Skype 8.25 for Windows
> desktop. The scripts are available at [15]www.dlee.org/skype/electron
> I don't have a direct link for Skype though at the moment.
> Bye!
> Barbuz

References

1. mailto:inamuddin09@gmail.com
2. mailto:Inamuddin.ronaque@gmail.com
3. mailto:inam092@outlook.com
4. mailto:inamuddin2010@yahoo.ca
5. http://www.facebook.com/inamuddin786
6. http://www.twitter.com/charlsdarwin1
7. mailto:sugarsyl71@sbcglobal.net
8. mailto:skypeenglish@groups.io
9. http://www.nvaccess.org/
10. https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986
11. mailto:skypeenglish@groups.io
12. mailto:skypeenglish@groups.io
13. mailto:animalsloversjh@gmail.com
14. mailto:skypeenglish@groups.io
15. http://www.dlee.org/skype/electron
17.
mailto:skypeenglish@groups.io?subject=Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bskypeenglish%5D%20Sky
pe8.5%20%26%20skrypts%3F
18.
mailto:inamuddin09@gmail.com?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bskypeenglis
h%5D%20Skype8.5%20%26%20skrypts%3F

Level Access doug.lee@LevelAccess.com
http://www.LevelAccess.com
Snowmen fall from heaven, unassembled.
--anon

Sugar Lopez

You can write me off list but what is this? Access to go?
sugar

. "Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom."
-Please support me in my journey to another opportunity of life at:
Hugs, Sugar

have you thought of System Access to go for Skype 8.25

It works very well with System Access to go

On 7/30/2018 9:47 AM, Michele Barbi wrote:
Hi Sugar and all.
I recently checked the system requirements for Skype UWP, and figured
out that yeah they require JAWS 18. Since you're using 17, if you are
not able to upgrade, better for you to use Skype 8.25 for Windows
desktop. The scripts are available at www.dlee.org/skype/electron I
don't have a direct link for Skype though at the moment.

SaToGo is a free screen reader from serotech.. I have not used them in a while, but it works in a pinch.

. "Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom." -Please support me in my journey to another opportunity of life at: https://www.gofundme.com/sugars-transplant-journey Hugs, Sugar

-----Original Message----- From: skypeenglish@groups.io skypeenglish@groups.io On Behalf Of Josephine Hirsch Sent: Monday, July 30, 2018 7:49 AM To: skypeenglish@groups.io Subject: Re: [skypeenglish] Skype8.5 & skrypts?

have you thought of System Access to go for Skype 8.25

It works very well with System Access to go

On 7/30/2018 9:47 AM, Michele Barbi wrote: > Hi Sugar and all. > I recently checked the system requirements for Skype UWP, and figured > out that yeah they require JAWS 18. Since you're using 17, if you are > not able to upgrade, better for you to use Skype 8.25 for Windows > desktop. The scripts are available at www.dlee.org/skype/electron I > don't have a direct link for Skype though at the moment. > Bye! > Barbuz > > >

John Holcomb II

You should come online again, Josephine

have you thought of System Access to go for Skype 8.25

It works very well with System Access to go

On 7/30/2018 9:47 AM, Michele Barbi wrote:
Hi Sugar and all.
I recently checked the system requirements for Skype UWP, and figured
out that yeah they require JAWS 18. Since you're using 17, if you are
not able to upgrade, better for you to use Skype 8.25 for Windows
desktop. The scripts are available at www.dlee.org/skype/electron I
don't have a direct link for Skype though at the moment.

inam din

System access is a screen reader just like JAWS!