Topics

Signin alerts in Skype 8

Michele Barbi

Hello guys,
I was able to see the release notes for Skype 8.43, and I found out the following:
Get notified when your friends are online: You'll now receive a pop-up notification when a contact goes from offline to Active. Learn how to manage your notifications.
Now we'll see if screen readers will be able to announce such as event. Doug, are you planning to reimplement something similar to SkypeWatch?

In Windows 10, there's a consistent framework for notifications that screenreaders just speak without scripting. If Skype 8 uses that, I expect there will be no need for SkypeWatch under Windows 10. I'm not sure how many people
out there are using Windows 7 or older by now?

It's not out of the question for me to do a SkypeWatch-like thing for Skype 8; but I would probably do it as a separate set of scripts that you would download as its own product, rather than as part of the Skype 8 scripts; so
that I could support more than just Skype 8 at the same time. However, I don't have an easy way to test Windows 7, and I doubt there is a lot of need for supporting older Windows versions by now. I'm partly writing this to see
how wrong I am. :-)

On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 02:10:29PM +0200, Michele Barbi wrote:
Hello guys,
I was able to see the release notes for Skype 8.43, and I found out the
following:
Get notified when your friends are online: You'll now receive a pop-up
notification when a contact goes from offline to Active. Learn how to
manage your notifications.
Now we'll see if screen readers will be able to announce such as event.
Doug, are you planning to reimplement something similar to SkypeWatch?

2. mailto:skypeenglish@groups.io?subject=Re:%20%5Bskypeenglish%5D%20Signin%20alerts%20in%20Skype%208
3. mailto:barbi.michele@...?subject=Private:%20Re:%20%5Bskypeenglish%5D%20Signin%20alerts%20in%20Skype%208

"All these years, the people said, 'He's acting like a kid.'
He did not know he could not fly, so he did."
--Guy Clark, "The Cape" (Dublin Blues)

Michele Barbi

Ok Doug, thanks for your reply.

After sending the below message, I turned on these notifications on my Windows 10 machine. They are announced automatically without any further scripting. Tested in JAWS 2019.

On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 08:34:46AM -0400, Doug Lee wrote:
[...]

"Our chief want in life is somebody who will make us do what
we can. {Ralph Waldo Emerson}

inamuddin khan

Dear Doug, I’m using JAWS 2018 and it is not working for me although I have started notification alirts!

Further more, I’m using your script version 113.

AOL:

charlsdarwin1969@...

Join me with my Skype ID:

charlsdarwin1

See me on facebook:

www.facebook.com/inamuddin786

Follow me on my twitter:

www.twitter.com/charlsdarwin1

Mobile phone:

+92-334-3348409

Google voice:

+1-631-5335683

Doug Lee                 dgl@...                http://www.dlee.org

Level Access             doug.lee@...    http://www.LevelAccess.com

--

Doug Lee                 dgl@...                http://www.dlee.org

Level Access             doug.lee@...    http://www.LevelAccess.com

"Our chief want in life is somebody who will make us do what

we can. {Ralph Waldo Emerson}

Gary Jackson <gljackson@...>

I still use windows 7 on one of my machines. Actually my primary machine.

Gary

On 4/29/2019 9:40 AM, Doug Lee wrote:
[...]

matthew dyer <ilovecountrymusic483@...>

Whare do you go to enable this.  In skype settings.  I am using 8.44 which is the latesed.

Thanks.

Matthew

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Go to setting/notification there you will find it!

Another thing, it is working for me as well!

[...]

Hey guys, I figured out it's working for me as well though I am using NVDA, so effectibvely no SkypeWatch needed at least in Windows 10.
I have to correct you Matthew, I think the latest is 8.43. Anyway you go to Skype preferences which you can open by typing ctrl+comma, then you open notifications button.

inamuddin khan

Skype 8.43 is stable whereas Skype 8.44 is preview!

AOL:

charlsdarwin1969@...

Join me with my Skype ID:

charlsdarwin1

See me on facebook:

www.facebook.com/inamuddin786

Follow me on my twitter:

www.twitter.com/charlsdarwin1

Mobile phone:

+92-334-3348409

Google voice:

+1-631-5335683

Hey guys, I figured out it's working for me as well though I am using NVDA, so effectibvely no SkypeWatch needed at least in Windows 10.
I have to correct you Matthew, I think the latest is 8.43. Anyway you go to Skype preferences which you can open by typing ctrl+comma, then you open notifications button.

Ok, actually I am not subscribed of beta programs or something like that.

inamuddin khan

No it is not necessary, just go to google and type latest Skype-softexia and it will give you the latest preview!