Topics

problem with jaws 2020 and skype 8.63

Mike Bernard

Hi everyone:

Has anyone noticed how ever since the recent upgrade from Skype 8.6 to 8.63, jaws will stop speaking the skype icons when a call either comes in or hangs up? It seems that the only way to fix this issue is to shut Jaws down and start it up again each and every time. This is not good

Mike.

Do you like disco? Do you like to shake your groove with New Wave, 90s Hip hop, Or today’s slammin hits? If so, check out my show every Wednesday night from 7 to 10 pm Eastern on Sonic Radio:

www.sonicradio.rocks

Michele Barbi

Hi Mike, effectively yes I noticed it too, I fixed it by restarting Skype as well. Basically, after a call hangs up JAWS is not intercepting anything, and when pressing insert+t apart from Skype it says something like, get xml returned nothing. Scripts are installed, I use revision 174.

This looks very much like a problem I've seen in Teams that was fixed there by now in Teams itself. The basic situation is this: The Skype accessibility information starts showing up in a different window than the one that
gets focus, so JAWS and probably all other screen readers fail to figure out correctly what's going on.

Interestingly enough, the solution is often as simple as maximizing the window, such as with Windows+UpArrow. Sometimes in Teams, it was necessary to minimize first and then maximize; but I'm not seeing that here in Skype
so far. I believe you are finding the min-then-max approach more effective though, based on our Skype chat.

On Wed, Aug 05, 2020 at 07:07:47PM +0200, Michele Barbi wrote:
Hi Mike, effectively yes I noticed it too, I fixed it by restarting Skype as
well. Basically, after a call hangs up JAWS is not intercepting anything, and
when pressing insert+t apart from Skype it says something like, get xml
returned nothing. Scripts are installed, I use revision 174.

In healthy competition, the best battles are not for status, but for excellence;
and the battles are not between me and you,
but between you and you, and between me and me. (08/15/2009)

Michele Barbi

Hi Doug and all, first of all thanks for the commands which I did not know. I also saw a thread about chrome legacy window, I have reason to believe that they're somehow related.

Concerning the minimize and maximize Skype, this is probably because I have set the Skype icon on desktop like other ones to be shown maximized by default.

Stephen Troy

hi all

apologies if this has been discussed but I don't see it.

not only do I get the chrome legacy repeat message, even though i'm
running IE,skype commands do not work at all until I press the alt
key. all is well then for a while but if I don't use skype for several
minutes I have to press the alt key again.

fiddly but not really a big deal.

steve

On 05/08/2020, Michele Barbi <barbi.michele@...> wrote:
Hi Doug and all, first of all thanks for the commands which I did not
know. I also saw a thread about chrome legacy window, I have reason to
believe that they're somehow related.

Concerning the minimize and maximize Skype, this is probably because I
have set the Skype icon on desktop like other ones to be shown maximized
by default.

Hi Stephen, thanks for the tip. I'll also test the alt key, I already tested win+arrows and they work ok.

Hi guys, I just tested the alt functionality that Stephen suggested in order to fix the problems with Skype. Basically it works just fine, beware though that you'll open the menu bar, so you should press it once again or esc to close it and go back to the Skype main window.

inamuddin khan

In fact there are 3 solutions of this problem.

Alt functionality, Windows up/down errow  and restarting your screen reader whatever screen reader you are using!

Charlsdarwin1.

                                Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hi guys, I just tested the alt functionality that Stephen suggested in

order to fix the problems with Skype. Basically it works just fine,

beware though that you'll open the menu bar, so you should press it once

again or esc to close it and go back to the Skype main window.

Has anyone reported this to skype and the screen reader makers if at all possible. Where is the problem exactly, or is this the case of both?

On 6 Aug 2020, at 17:06, inamuddin khan wrote:

In fact there are 3 solutions of this problem.

Alt functionality, Windows up/down errow  and restarting your screen reader whatever screen reader you are using!

Charlsdarwin1.

                                Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hi guys, I just tested the alt functionality that Stephen suggested in

order to fix the problems with Skype. Basically it works just fine,

beware though that you'll open the menu bar, so you should press it once

again or esc to close it and go back to the Skype main window.

On hearing this morning that Skype 8.64, apparently in beta, also exhibits this issue, I filed the following comment for Microsoft via the "Report a Problem" item in the Skype Help menu; and I invite others to remark
similarly from their own Skype instances, so that Microsoft hears a chorus of voices and not just one:

Skype 8.63 and apparently the beta 8.64: After a call and after the Skype window is minimized, focusing it while running a screen reader such as JAWS does not work well. We hear "Chrome Legacy Window" and cannot navigate or
read. Tapping Alt twice, or Alt then Esc, or Windows+Down then Windows+Up revives the Skype window for use. See also a similar problem that appeared and was fixed in Teams 1.3 within the last few months. This is a serious
disruption for blind Skype users.

On Thu, Aug 06, 2020 at 09:22:39AM +0100, Stephen Troy wrote:
hi all

apologies if this has been discussed but I don't see it.

not only do I get the chrome legacy repeat message, even though i'm
running IE,skype commands do not work at all until I press the alt
key. all is well then for a while but if I don't use skype for several
minutes I have to press the alt key again.

Time is the friend of one who is true, and the enemy of one who isn't.
(02/05/2010)

Michele Barbi

Hi Doug, thanks for your effort on making this report. I think I cannot do it right now because I am now on my Macbook now since I am on holiday, my connection is also not very good working right now.
Inviato da Lu MacBook