Topics

Problem downloading JAWS scripts

Marius Swart

Hi all.  This is probably not Skype related, and thus I apologize for the off-topic message, but it has to do with trying to tdownload the latest JAWS scripts for Skype.

I’m running Skype Electron, and every time I try to download the scripts, my AVG Antivirus aborts the connection and displays the following message:

“Threat secured.  We’ve safely aborted connection on www.dlee.org because it was affected with URL:blacklist.”

Does anybody know what that means and how I can get past it?  If I need to change something in my antivirus, please write me off-list so as not to clutter the list with non-Skype-related messages.

Thanks in advance.

Marius

Doug Lee

Not sure why you'd get that message, but try https instead of http. I set up https specifically because a few people were having download problems a few months ago, though not any that sound identical to yours.

On Wed, Apr 03, 2019 at 09:21:47PM +0200, Marius Swart wrote:
Hi all. This is probably not Skype related, and thus I apologize for
the off-topic message, but it has to do with trying to tdownload the
latest JAWS scripts for Skype.

I'm running Skype Electron, and every time I try to download the
scripts, my AVG Antivirus aborts the connection and displays the
following message:

"Threat secured. We've safely aborted connection on [1]www.dlee.org
because it was affected with [2]URL:blacklist."

Does anybody know what that means and how I can get past it? If I need
to change something in my antivirus, please write me off-list so as not
to clutter the list with non-Skype-related messages.

Thanks in advance.

Marius

References

1. http://www.dlee.org/
2. URL:blacklist
4. mailto:skypeenglish@groups.io?subject=Re:%20%5Bskypeenglish%5D%20Problem%20downloading%20JAWS%20scripts
5. mailto:nightowl69@...?subject=Private:%20Re:%20%5Bskypeenglish%5D%20Problem%20downloading%20JAWS%20scripts

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both
incisive and probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by
dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper." --Rod Serling

Marius Swart

Hi Doug. Thanks for your reply, but still no luck. Perhaps I should
explain the way I get to the download link:

I open the page in the usual way, click the link for the latest JAWS script
user's guide, then the link that says "Download and run, or run directly,
the installer for these scripts." As soon as I click that link, my
antivirus gives me the message I stated in my first post.

Level Access doug.lee@...
http://www.LevelAccess.com
"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both
incisive and probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by
dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper." --Rod Serling

Doug Lee

I just changed the link you are using to use https; forgot it was an absolute link. Let me know if that helped. If you are concerned that your local web cache may interfere with getting the updated page, use te direct link for
the file (which, incidentally, I recommend against doing in general in case it changes): https://www.dlee.org/skype/electron/jfw_skypeelectron.exe

On Wed, Apr 03, 2019 at 09:49:58PM +0200, Marius Swart wrote:
[...]

Still no luck I'm afraid, even with the direct download link. Could it be
my antivirus program sees the installer as a virus?

[...]

Michele Barbi

Marius wrote:
"Still no luck I'm afraid, even with the direct download link. Could it be
my antivirus program sees the installer as a virus?"

************
Hello Marius and list.
Yes, I am afraid that's the problem.

Bill White

Hi, Marius. There should be an option in AVG that will allow you to "pause
or disable protection temporarily. This will allow you to download the
scripts. Once the scripts are downloaded, go back to the options and enable
protection again.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

matthew dyer <ilovecountrymusic483@...>

Hi,

Try disabling your antivirus then try downloading it then after installing
reenabling it.

Matthew

[...]

In 2017, I had a few problems with antivirus packages objecting to my Nullsoft installers. I reverted to an older version of Nullsoft, and installers I built from then on ceased to have this issue. However, this morning I
scanned my site and found some old installers that were built with the newer but apparently problematic NSIS version. I have removed those installers and will rebuild them as time permits using the older but seemingly safer
version of NSIS.

The Skype script installer was not affected by this, though one or two older Skype installer builds that remained on my site but without links pointing to them were, and were thus removed today.

My understanding is that antivirus companies allow you to report a problem file, URL, or domain as a false alarm. I recommend this, and I plan to try reporting my own domain as safe using a URL given to me by a friend last
week: https://www.avg.com/en-us/false-positive-file-form

The only possible complication to my reporting this myself, of course, is that I am not a user of AVG.