Topics

Of Fire and Functionality (was Re: [skypeenglish] New accessibility improvements in Skype 8.0 | Skype Blogs)

Doug Lee

In my long-considered opinion, Octavian, Sarah has been quite patient with you of late.

You act like we condemn you for disagreement. No. We are tired of repetition. Beyond that, we believe in translating discomfort, such as difficulty with a new interface, into potentially productive action. I script, and I
report problems via Skype feedback forms. Those actions stand a chance to improve our lot with Skype 8. Your opinion expressions on this list do not, because no one here is able to alter Skype 8 itself and I have already
addressed the issues in Skype 8 that I saw.

You obviously feel strongly that Skype 8 is problematic. Fine. But as long as your reaction consists of nothing but list messages here repeating the same thoughts, you will not gain much respect.

And about that, if our mod will pardon me for this...

When a theater catches fire, which of these will gain the most respect, which will get the most usefully done, and which of us here is parallel to which in this story?
- The first movie goer to spot the flames and shout "FIRE!"
- Another movie goer who says very little but quickly starts directing traffic toward the exit.
- The by-standing construction worker who mumbles, "That place wasn't built very well," then walks on by.
- The second bystander who hears him and yells, "By all that is good, built it right next time!" and walks on by.
- The third bystander, another construction worker, who mutters disgustedly, "Modern building codes are not good enough anymore!" but also joins a committee to update building codes.
- The fireman who, perhaps after pausing for 2.5 seconds to stare incredulously at all the others, flies into the building and puts out the fire just before it manages to block the exit.

My answers, for anyone who wants to know...

Who will gain the most respect? Probably the fireman, for resolving the immediate problem. But not all of us are fireman; so we are lucky one was on hand.

Which will get the most usefully done? Potentially the second construction worker, as no other effort is being made to make buildings safer in the future. She will probably not be widely respected because nobody will notice what
she's doing. The bystanders probably muttered back at her, as she marched off with a determined air, "Oh look at her, shaking her fist at the mamoth!" But determination can make mammoths listen sometimes.

Which of us is which in this story? I submit this as my list:
- I am the fireman, for making things work immediately with scripts. But not all of us are fireman...
- Any of us, such as Michele, who are dilligent at announcing Skype-related changes here are one of the two movie goers. Of these, the ones who just gripe about things are more like the first, for spreading more panic than
remedy; and those who work to inform us more than alarm us are like the second.
- I'm afraid you, Octavian, currently look much like one of the first two bystanders to me: You comment and/or yell about the problems you see, yet willfully do nothing to address them. Not everyone is a fireman (or a scripter), but many
of us can direct our complaints where they might make a difference.
- Those who file Microsoft feedback are like the third bystander who goes to join a committee. It may not seem like much, and it may initially look pointless; but that one is channeling energy where it can matter.

On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 09:11:32PM +0200, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
Sarah, I asked you some time ago, but I haven't got any answer from
you.

Do you accept only positive remarks about Skype on this list?

Do you like only the remarks that are the same as yours?

You say that "we are starting to not like it". Can you please tell me
who are those "we"?

Were there votes made among all members of the list and you observed
that all list members don't like my messages?

And btw, is there a rule of this list that tells that if a certain
number of members don't like the opinions of other list members, those
other list members should not send those messages? Or something like
that?

I didn't send messages with swears, and I didn't send strong messages
against other list members, but yes, a list member sent that kind of
messages for me just because he didn't like my opinion.

You said that I sound like a broken record just because I told my
opinion for more times about the Skype version I like and the one that
I don't like. But what about the other people that expressed their
opinion but their opinion was different? They don't sound like a broken
record only because their opinion matches yours, or why they are OK but
I am not?

--Octavian