Topics

Jaws losing focus with Skype for Business 2015 running

Francois Jacobs

Hi there

I’m new to this list, have no idea to do an archive list and can only hope this question hasn’t been addressed before.

I am required to be logged into an open team chat the whole work day as this is how our team members post questions and announcements.

Every time a team member posts a message to the open chat my screen reader seems to focus on the message, i.e. away from what I’m currently doing.  It drives me crazy and is very unproductive as you can imagine.

The quickest way I have found to restore focus to my current application is by pressing the alt key twice, but surely there’s a solution?

I have checked Skype settings, specifically checking that Always on Top wasn’t checked and it doesn’t make a difference.

I googled and found Doug Lee’s scripts for SFB and downloaded the version for SFB prior to SFB2016, hoping that might solve it.

Unfortunately I suspect they’re not compatible with Jaws 2020, because in the installer the list is blank under the text that reads:

“The following compatible versions of JAWS have been found on your system.  All versions

are currently selected for installation.  Use Space to alter selections if necessary, then press

Install to proceed.”

I then activate Install anyway but the installer just closes.

The system configuration we’re using at work is determined at a corporate level, so I have no control over that.  I’m using:

Windows 8.1 pro

Skype for Business version 2015

JAWS Version 2020.1912.11.400

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Francois Jacobs

Doug Lee

Wow, didn't know any SFB version that old was still in use out there.

I may vaguely recall that focus issue, but I believe that was fixed within SFB itself. I did not try to script around that one as far as I remember.

I'm somewhat surprised that the SFB 2015 scripts won't install into JAWS 2020, but the code could require an update. If you like, I can generate an updated beta; though I have no way to test it here. I'm just not expecting an
update to help with the focus problem you are reporting, annoying though I'm sure that issue is for you.

You might see if a Do Not Disturb status will prevent that issue, assuming your management doesn't mind you staying in that status and assuming it doesn't make you miss things you need to see. You could also try putting SFB
on another virtual desktop if your Windows version allows that, but I have never tried that one myself to know if it would help.

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 04:46:09AM +0000, Francois Jacobs via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi there

Iâm new to this list, have no idea to do an archive list and can only
hope this question hasnât been addressed before.

I am required to be logged into an open team chat the whole work day as
this is how our team members post questions and announcements.

Every time a team member posts a message to the open chat my screen
reader seems to focus on the message, i.e. away from what Iâm currently
doing. It drives me crazy and is very unproductive as you can
imagine.Â

The quickest way I have found to restore focus to my current
application is by pressing the alt key twice, but surely thereâs a
solution?

I have checked Skype settings, specifically checking that Always on Top
wasnât checked and it doesnât make a difference.

I googled and found Doug Leeâs scripts for SFB and downloaded the
version for SFB prior to SFB2016, hoping that might solve it.

Unfortunately I suspect theyâre not compatible with Jaws 2020, because
in the installer the list is blank under the text that reads:

âThe following compatible versions of JAWS have been found on your
system. All versions

are currently selected for installation. Use Space to alter
selections if necessary, then press

Install to proceed.â

I then activate Install anyway but the installer just closes.

The system configuration weâre using at work is determined at a
corporate level, so I have no control over that. Iâm using:

Windows 8.1 pro

Skype for Business version 2015

JAWS Version 2020.1912.11.400

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Francois Jacobs

References

1. https://skypeenglish.groups.io/g/main/message/4329
2. mailto:main@skypeenglish.groups.io?subject=Re: [skypeenglish] Jaws losing focus with Skype for Business 2015 running
3. mailto:Francois.Jacobs@...?subject=Private: Re: [skypeenglish] Jaws losing focus with Skype for Business 2015 running
4. https://groups.io/mt/70265428/409874
5. https://skypeenglish.groups.io/g/main/post
6. http://www.dlee.org/skype/
7. https://skypeenglish.groups.io/g/main/editsub/409874
8. mailto:main+owner@skypeenglish.groups.io
9. https://skypeenglish.groups.io/g/main/leave/defanged

Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that itwill never begin.
-- Grace Hansen

Jerry Pryde

Windows 8.1 Pro.  Is that an old version of windows, if memory serves?

Could that be part of the problem?

On 2020-01-30 1:28 a.m., Doug Lee wrote:
[...]

Sarah k Alawami

I'm thinking that. Is there a timeline where your company will upgrade to windows 10?

to subscribe to the feed click here

On 2020-01-30 1:28 a.m., Doug Lee wrote:

[...]

Hello Doug and all

Thanks for your responses and yes, while Windows 8.1 is rather outdated, I'm new to the company and low in the pecking order without strategic contacts at this early stage, so I have no idea how to find out when they plan to roll out newer versions for either SFB or Windows. Even if that's planned for later in the year I will have lost my mind long before that lol.

I tried the Do Not Disturb suggestion, but all it does is no longer playing a sound when a new message comes in. The Jaws focus still jumps to the message, sort of.

Doug I'm wondering whether your scripts look for Jaws under a specific folder and my setup might simply be not what the scripts are expecting?
If it's not too much trouble I'll take you up on the offer to generate an updated beta and I'm happy to try it out myself. I'm kinda desperate.

Thanks, Francois

1. https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://skypeenglish.groups.io/g/main/message/4329__;!!GEb1pAs!XN0liQTx8FTjaE5cfOJ9fWJUU2bgfGEk3pQOP3SC5114jqPol0MoXoldaH-fxogHPUgbca0$
4. https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://groups.io/mt/70265428/409874__;!!GEb1pAs!XN0liQTx8FTjaE5cfOJ9fWJUU2bgfGEk3pQOP3SC5114jqPol0MoXoldaH-fxogHatN_aWY$
5. https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://skypeenglish.groups.io/g/main/post__;!!GEb1pAs!XN0liQTx8FTjaE5cfOJ9fWJUU2bgfGEk3pQOP3SC5114jqPol0MoXoldaH-fxogHQxy3t3Y$
6. https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.dlee.org/skype/__;!!GEb1pAs!XN0liQTx8FTjaE5cfOJ9fWJUU2bgfGEk3pQOP3SC5114jqPol0MoXoldaH-fxogHX2suFag$
7. https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://skypeenglish.groups.io/g/main/editsub/409874__;!!GEb1pAs!XN0liQTx8FTjaE5cfOJ9fWJUU2bgfGEk3pQOP3SC5114jqPol0MoXoldaH-fxogHzfBWNKU$
8. mailto:main+owner@skypeenglish.groups.io
9. https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://skypeenglish.groups.io/g/main/leave/defanged__;!!GEb1pAs!XN0liQTx8FTjaE5cfOJ9fWJUU2bgfGEk3pQOP3SC5114jqPol0MoXoldaH-fxogHBzspvAw$

--
Doug Lee dgl@... https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.dlee.org__;!!GEb1pAs!XN0liQTx8FTjaE5cfOJ9fWJUU2bgfGEk3pQOP3SC5114jqPol0MoXoldaH-fxogHD_T3Zp4$
Level Access doug.lee@... https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.LevelAccess.com__;!!GEb1pAs!XN0liQTx8FTjaE5cfOJ9fWJUU2bgfGEk3pQOP3SC5114jqPol0MoXoldaH-fxogHEycOWbw$
Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that itwill never begin.
-- Grace Hansen

Francois Jacobs

Hi again Doug

Just to let you know I managed to get SFB 2016 installed today. Iwas so looking forward to the problem being gone, but for some reason it isn't.
I haven't tried installing your scripts for SFB 2016 yet as it's been a busy Friday, but on Monday I'll try.
Just wanted to let you know in case you were still planning to do some work on creating that beta version for the 2015 scripts to recognise Jaws 2020.

Thanks, Francois

[...]

To all other listers: The below refers only to Skype For Business and its predecessor Lync, not to the consumer-grade Skype products.

I have split the SFB/Lync scripts into three different branches, as follows:

365: The current SFB scripts, aimed at the SFB in Office 365. This branch is at https://www.dlee.org/sfb/365/

15: The script support for Microsoft Lync 2013 and Skype For Business versions from 2015 and 2016 (early SFB 2016). This branch is up to date and is at https://www.dlee.org/sfb/15/

16: The script support for Skype For Business 2016, before it was rolled into Office 365. This branch is not yet complete but will appear at https://www.dlee.org/sfb/16/

When all three branches are complete, I will replace https://www.dlee.org/sfb/ with a page that just connects to the other three. For now though, that page remains the multi-branch page it has been for years.

You are welcome to try the 15 branch, though I'm not sure if that might be a step backward depending on the scripts you now have.