Topics

How to prevent Skype from gaining automatic focus when a message comes in

Amy Ruell

Hello all,
I am new to Skype for business. When a message comes in from a group that I must monitor, Jaws automatically focuses on that window, interrupting anywork I am trying to get done.
Is there a setting I can change so this will not happen?
Thanks.

Desert Moon

Hello Amy,

I use Skype for Business at work. As far as I can remember, you can shut off alerts:

1. Settings
2. Alerts
3. Generl Alerts
4. Select “Don’t show alerts”

--
Desert

Amy Ruell

Pardon the novice question, I am very new to this program. If I shut off alerts, how will I know when a message comes in? I can’t ignore the messages, I just don’t want them to interrupt my other work and want to have control over when I view them.
Thank you
Amy

On Dec 21, 2018, at 12:27 AM, Desert Moon via Groups.Io <desert.moon@...> wrote:

Hello Amy,

I use Skype for Business at work. As far as I can remember, you can shut off alerts:

1. Settings
2. Alerts
3. Generl Alerts
4. Select “Don’t show alerts”

--
Desert

Desert Moon

Hello Amy,

With that setting, messages will still come in witout alerting you. You need to manually check messages.

Before invoking that feature, I think you need to ask yourself a few questions. How frequent do alerts pop up? How disruptive are alerts? How important are incoming messages? Nice to know, must know or immediate action required? How disciplined are you to check message at a regular interval?

--
Desert

Amy Ruell

Hi,

A real conundrum. I have to check messages as they come in every minute to 90 seconds. I authorize psychiatric emergency admission and I am a supervisor on the team. The problem is, people often use the I am to chat about unnecessary things and there are far too many messages.
Amy

On Dec 22, 2018, at 12:35 AM, Desert Moon via Groups.Io <desert.moon@...> wrote:

Hello Amy,

With that setting, messages will still come in witout alerting you. You need to manually check messages.

Before invoking that feature, I think you need to ask yourself a few questions. How frequent do alerts pop up? How disruptive are alerts? How important are incoming messages? Nice to know, must know or immediate action required? How disciplined are you to check message at a regular interval?

--
Desert

Desert Moon

Hello Amy,

Do you have duties other than monitoring and reacting to Skype chats? If yes, it is virtually impossible to manage all duties considering the high frequency of chats. You may need to talk to your boss about your job function.

With regards to excessive trash chats, they are distracting and hampering productivity. You may want to escalate to your boss. First, create an organization culture of minimizing trash chats. Second, encourage staff to create chat groups to talk about matter unrelated to work.

--
Desert

Amy Ruell

I totally agree.
I have actually been fighting with my organization about using this in the first place, since it’s not terribly accessible. Unfortunately, the organization is not terribly receptive. Thanks for your help.
Amy