Topics

help with the new 8.3 version of skype.

Michele Barbi

I'll try ctrl+shift+p the next time I sign in on Skype and a call arrives, I only used it for starting a call. Anyway I can confirm ctrl+e for ending a call, I tested it sometimes.

My experience says Ctrl+Shift+P never answered a call in Skype 8, but that if you happened to be displaying the same contact that called you and you typed Ctrl+Shift+P, Skype tried to initiate a call to that person and simply
connected to the incoming call as a result. This could easily give the illusion that Ctrl+Shift+P answers calls if you are testing the feature and thus are likely to be showing that exact contact when a call arrives.

On Wed, Oct 03, 2018 at 02:03:13PM +0200, Michele Barbi wrote:
I'll try ctrl+shift+p the next time I sign in on Skype and a call arrives, I
only used it for starting a call. Anyway I can confirm ctrl+e for ending a
call, I tested it sometimes.

"I forgot, because I wanted to forget, except I don't remember
forgetting." --Sarah Alawami

Joseph Machise

well dug until we get a new version of GW connect, and say the hell with Microsoft do you have a hot key for answering a call

My experience says Ctrl+Shift+P never answered a call in Skype 8, but that if you happened to be displaying the same contact that called you and you typed Ctrl+Shift+P, Skype tried to initiate a call to that person and simply
connected to the incoming call as a result. This could easily give the illusion that Ctrl+Shift+P answers calls if you are testing the feature and thus are likely to be showing that exact contact when a call arrives.

On Wed, Oct 03, 2018 at 02:03:13PM +0200, Michele Barbi wrote:
I'll try ctrl+shift+p the next time I sign in on Skype and a call arrives, I
only used it for starting a call. Anyway I can confirm ctrl+e for ending a
call, I tested it sometimes.

"I forgot, because I wanted to forget, except I don't remember
forgetting." --Sarah Alawami

Stephen Troy

joseph, I think you may be waiting a long-time for a new version of gw
connect. if memory serves, the company providing that particular
software were bought by AI Squared who were subsequently taken over by
freedom scientific who are in bed with microsoft, so there's not
likely to be an alternative to Skype produced, or marketed, any time
soon.

if Skype 8 is so difficult, and I can't comment because I've not
tried 8 yet, perhaps people should think about switching to using the
phone app with an external keyboard if they don't fancy the double
tapping all the time required to type messages or find dictation a
pain.

receiving and making calls are certainly straightforward.

Level Access doug.lee@...
http://www.LevelAccess.com
"I forgot, because I wanted to forget, except I don't remember
forgetting." --Sarah Alawami

Doug Lee

The plan for taking an incoming call in Skype 8 is this:

1. Make a shortcut key that immediately puts focus on the Skype 8 window. Do this by assigning a shortcut key, such as Ctrl+Shift+Alt+K, to the Skype 8 Desktop shortcut.

2. When a call comes in, type your shortcut, tab for caller ID, then tab to the Answer button and press Space.

This is more keystrokes than Alt+PgUp was, but it is also less prone to the, "Oh goodness, I did not mean to pick up that call!" situation. This situation would be my description of most calls I get, because of spam calls that
are made to my phone number, which I route through Skype specifically so I can handle such things intelligently.

On Wed, Oct 03, 2018 at 08:36:20AM -0400, Joseph Machise wrote:
[...]

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's
character, give him power." -Abraham Lincoln

Lino Morales

Hi Steve. You sir said it best. Joseph you are making it too hard on yourself young man. V 8 is not hard to use.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

joseph, I think you may be waiting a long-time for a new version of gw
connect. if memory serves, the  company providing that particular
software were bought by AI Squared who were subsequently taken over by
freedom scientific who are in bed with microsoft, so there's not
likely to be an alternative to Skype produced, or marketed, any time
soon.

if Skype  8 is so difficult, and I can't comment because I've not
tried 8 yet, perhaps people should think about switching to using the
phone app with an external keyboard if they don't fancy the double
tapping all the time required to type messages or find dictation a
pain.

receiving and making calls are certainly straightforward.

On 03/10/2018, Joseph Machise <josephmachise@...> wrote:
> well dug until we get a new version of GW connect, and say the hell with
> Microsoft do you have a hot key for answering a call

Octavian Rasnita

Hi Doug,

Can't be made a script that executes these hotkeys, a script stored in default.jss?
If it would be possible, we could assign a hotkey for it, say Alt+PgUp, and one of the problems could be solved.

I hope that it is not a problem that the window uses a web widget, because that can't be solved.

--Octavian

[...]

Clare Page

Hi!
It's all very well to say that a keystroke such as alt+page up should be
added to the JAWS scripts of Skype 8, but that won't help users of other
screen-readers. I'm not sure that such a keystroke is necessary anyway.
Doug's way of answering Skype calls seems rather complicated to me ,
although that may make seeing who the caller is a bit easier. I am lucky
that the Skype calls I receive are from people I know, and in most cases I
have warning that I am going to receive a call, so I go into the Skype
window in Skype 8, which I tend to leave open while Skype is running anyway,
and press Tab till I find the Answer button. There's a Decline button too,
which comes before the Answer button while tabbing through the window, so if
you don't want to take the incoming call, you can use that instead.
If you don't want to keep the Skype window open like I do, you can minimise
it with alt+f4 like you did in older versions of Skype, and pressing Enter
on the Skype icon on your desktop will open the Skype window again. Since I
rarely minimize the Skype window while my Skype 8 is running, I don't know
if an incoming call will make that window appear, that's why I mentioned how
to open it while Skype is still running.
I hope this helps!
Bye for now!
From Clare

[...]

Clare thanks hope they get GW back again under another name from Joseph.

[...]

I don't think GWConnect will ever come back, partly because GWMicro was
taken over as someone else has already mentioned, partly because some
special API which allowed GWConnect to be created no longer exists. So there
are really only two choices now as far as I can tell, either Skype 8 or the
Windows 10 version.
Bye for now, and happy skyping, whatever version you use for it!
From Clare

[...]

well Clare for a while I was using a modified GW, if I new how to program I would make it work with windows 7 &10 the hell with microsoft from Joseph.

[...]

This would involve minimizing all apps for going to the desktop, or using another method that involves even more key presses, then finding the skype icon and opening Skype, then tabbing around until the answer or decline buttons get the focus, which is also complicated.
I think that if it is possible to feed a list of keys to Skype 8 automaticly in a JAWS script, then I guess it is also easy to do the same thing in an NVDA module.

--Octavian

[...]

I do not have plans to add something like Alt+PgUp as a JAWS script or NVDA command, for several reasons. I would consider it if there were an API-based way to answer a call, because that would be more reliable than trying to
script a series of UI actions. Also, making a key to answer calls would require me to add default-level scripts to Skype 8 so the key could work outside of Skype itself.

On Thu, Oct 04, 2018 at 02:32:01PM +0300, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
[...]

What is most worth paying for, you buy with the life you live.
(11/10/07)

Shaun Oliver

Joseph, as much as you go on about wanting GWConnect back, it will never happen.

Quite apart from anything else, much of the API that was used to create it is now deprecated, thus, no third party application can be made from the now defunked SDK.

There is little point in wanting something that simply will never be.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Clare Page" <clare.page@...>

[...]

you can't get blood out of a stone, and given both the API and SDK no longer exist, you'd have god's own job of creating such a thing, not to mention the legal troubles you'd have should you be found out.

On 4/10/2018 20:14, Joseph Machise wrote:
[...]

why do people want something for nothing?

I agree that where possible, life should be made easier, but given that Skype is plenty accessible, what you're wanting is quite frankly a lazy way of doing things. It really isn't rocket science, and if answering a call on skype appears as such to you, then I'd strongly suggest a change of communication platform to something less daunting.

On 4/10/2018 21:02, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
[...]

Thank you for your nice suggestion. Can you recommend an easier solution than Skype 8 is? Something as simple as Skype 7 was maybe?

The scripts for JAWS are made exactly for making the life easier, and pressing 2 hotkeys instead of 1 usually means an effort 100% harder.

--Octavian

[...]

Well, I am afraid exactly of the word "reliable" in your phrase, because if a simple list of hotkeys might not be reliable, then it means that Skype 8 is really bad, and its interface is not 100% predictable.
In that case, if there is at least a possibility of not beeing reliable, then yes, I understand and I agree your point. It probably means that the script might send a hotkey, but it might not work as it should, Skype might not answer as fast as it should, or the current focus position might not be always in the expected object or other such posibilities that might make the list of hotkeys not work. And in that case the script should check a lot of things that it would make it complicated and hard to maintain.

This is exactly the things that I don't like in a program, the thing that I need to press a hotkey, wait to hear its result, check the screen, wait for JAWS to speak the label of the current object for me, press another hotkey... manual work and a lot of waiting time. Not that it would be so bad, but worse than in Skype 7 in any case.

I didn't expect you to make the script that sends that list of hotkeys, but I asked if you think that it can be possible to make it, or better said, if you think that it would be a reliable script. Actually I must admit that I rather asked for a confirmation, because I also have doubts that it would be a reliable thing, and this is actually the reason I don't like Skype 8, and consider it as bad as Windows 7 when compared with Windows XP.

--Octavian

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

I doubt they will, so until and if they do, learn skype 8 and learn the key strokes, and learn your web keys. If you don't like it not much you can do but uninstall skype and use zoom or nothing at all. Harsh, but true in this case.

Take care

On 4 Oct 2018, at 3:14, Joseph Machise wrote:

[...]

Thank you Sarah. I would not have even been as nice about it. as it was, I’d already stated that it won’t happen due to the deprecated API and unavailability of the SDK.

and really, Joseph, Comments such as to hell with microsoft are the kinds of comments we could all quite frankly do without, simply because MS, in recent times, has actually begun to carefully consider accessibility and implement same, despite the bleeting from the NFB wanting to keep accessibility firmly within the control of the blindness community. and really people as a whole, accessibility is not limited to blind people alone. we do not, nor wil we ever hold the monopoly on accessibility needs, so I suggest we dispense with the badmouthing, disparraging remarks, the complaining that this isn’t predictable or how unfair it is that we’re losing hotkeys that quite frankly nobody gives a rodent’s rectum about, and just learn the new interface, build a bridge and get over it.

Sent from Shaun's iPad