Topics

help with a friends XP computer and skype

skypeenglish at lists.tffppodcast.com (John Gassman via Skypeenglish)...

Hi,
I have a friend running JAWS 14 with an XP computer.
He tried to upgrade to skype 7.4 and we tried today to get him to skype 7.5.
Each time we tried it, we got a mesage saying that skype had
encountered a problem and needed to close.
We got rid of all previous versions of the program on his XP computer
or at least we think we did. We also deleted his skype folders.
Does the current version of skype work with an xp computer?
Any good suggestions would be welcome.
thanks!
John

JAWS Certified, 2014.

skypeenglish at lists.tffppodcast.com (John via Skypeenglish)...

Yes the current version should work.

en_support at skype.net

http://www.dlee.org/skype

mailto:skypeenglish-owner at list.tffppodcast.com

email, or click the link in the email you receive with your list password
each month.
thanks and have a wonderful day.

skypeenglish at lists.tffppodcast.com (steve troy via Skypeenglish)...

Hi

I'd be surprised if skype 7.5 worked with EXP.

en_support at skype.net

http://www.dlee.org/skype

mailto:skypeenglish-owner at list.tffppodcast.com

mailto:skypeenglish-owner at list.tffppodcast.com

thanks and have a wonderful day.

skypeenglish at lists.tffppodcast.com (Sarah k Alawami via Skypeenglish)...

Oops? Yeah Ok. I would do a thorough uninstall and use a cleaner to get rid of any skype registry entries then try rebooting and reinstalling skype latest version.

Take care.

-----Original Message----- From: John Gassman via Skypeenglish

mailto:skypeenglish-owner at list.tffppodcast.com

mailto:skypeenglish-owner at list.tffppodcast.com

thanks and have a wonderful day.

skypeenglish at lists.tffppodcast.com (Mike DeZinno via Skypeenglish)...

Hello to all,
Not that I consider myself a computer god at the level of some who
contribute to this forum but...
I would doubt that XP with Jaws 14 would be advanced enough to work with
the most recent upgrades and versions of Skype and here are my thoughts why
not:

First an foremost even jaws starting with version 16 stopped supporting XP,
which means nothing more will be developed or fixed at Freedom Scientific's
end regarding XP for any version of Jaws.

Secondly I'm finding more and more web sites just aren't willing to support
older versions of Internet Explorer and the latest greatest version that
XP had just isn't cutting it any more for cutting edge websites.

Therefore, it is my opinion that Skype is one of those web services that
just isn't willing to stay retro to help out a few thousand blind people
when they are competing in a web space for their share of subscribers
against other companies that are trying to market to tens of millions of
users who don't come to them with our baggage.

I feel for our community because of the way we rely upon more tech to do
simple things than the sighted consumer does, and each level of tech we
need adds another layer of complexity to the simplicity of the basic tasks
we are trying to independently perform.

That's one of the reasons I'm so grateful to Doug lee for the scripts he
has written for us to get Skype to work for most of us.

Since we weren't given any info on the person's equipment running XP I
don't know if this suggestion could help but if they have enough resources
with their current machine to maybe upgrade to at least Windows 7 it might
buy them a little more time before having to put out a lot of cash up
grading their machine or their level of Jaws.

I hope this has been helpful.
Mike, Florence SC

At 08:19 PM 5/31/2015, you wrote:
I don't think so. and it only make ssence. the same thing will happen in
2019 when windows 7 support boes by by.
On May 31, 2015, at 3:20 PM, John Gassman via Skypeenglish
<skypeenglish at lists.tffppodcast.com> wrote:

Hi,
I have a friend running JAWS 14 with an XP computer.
He tried to upgrade to skype 7.4 and we tried today to get him to skype
7.5.
Each time we tried it, we got a mesage saying that skype had
encountered a problem and needed to close.
We got rid of all previous versions of the program on his XP computer
or at least we think we did. We also deleted his skype folders.
Does the current version of skype work with an xp computer?
Any good suggestions would be welcome.
thanks!
John

JAWS Certified, 2014.

to contact skype support with any questions regarding your account
email en_support at skype.net

http://www.dlee.org/skype

mailto:skypeenglish-owner at list.tffppodcast.com

to modify yoru subscription visit the list info link at the bottom of
this email, or click the link in the email you receive with your list

en_support at skype.net

http://www.dlee.org/skype

mailto:skypeenglish-owner at list.tffppodcast.com