Topics

Chat Sounder

Jerry Pryde

Hi all.

Does anybody know why the chat sounder doesn't sound when Skype's in split mode?

Jerry

Sarah k Alawami

I'm sure this hopefully has ben bugged. Did you see if you are updated as far as scripts etc?

to subscribe to the feed click here

On 21 Jan 2020, at 12:41, Jerry Pryde wrote:

Hi all.

Does anybody know why the chat sounder doesn't sound when Skype's in split mode?

Jerry

Doug Lee

A few clarifications:

Which Skype version and version number? Skype Desktop and Skype UWP are the versions, and Desktop versions start with 8 whereas UWP versions start with 14.

If you're using JAWS, what is the script revision number spoken when you type Insert+q in the Skype window?

Do you mean the clicking typing sound, or the "Message sent" announcements when you send a message, or something else?

Answers for various cases:

In Skype Desktop, the typing clicks should work in both regular and split views, but "Message sent" etc. do not speak in split view because of how that announcement is implemented by Skype itself. If your JAWS scripts are too
old, typing sounds might not work in split view.

In Skype UWP, typing sounds are not working at this time due to major changes in the display since I wrote the scripts; and "Message sent" etc. are not supported by Skype itself as far as I know.

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 03:41:56PM -0500, Jerry Pryde wrote:
Hi all.

Does anybody know why the chat sounder doesn't sound when Skype's in split
mode?

Jerry

"I before E, except after C, or when sounded like A, as in neighbor
and weigh, except for when weird foreign concierges seize neither
leisure nor science from the height of society."

Jerry Pryde

Skype 8.55.0.141 with script revision 137.

The typing sound works in single view, and the indescribable sound as well when a message comes in.

Jaws 2020.

On 2020-01-21 4:31 p.m., Doug Lee wrote:
A few clarifications:

[...]

Michele Barbi

Ok, let me integrate what Doug already said...

One more thing that does not work in split view is Skype native typing announcement, meaning that JAWS won't say that your contact is currently typing. If you want to hear these announcements in split view, you'll have to check JAWS' proper typing announcement, and you do that by pressing JAWSKey+v from within Skype in order to open the quick settings, and check the "typing announce" option.

Jerry Pryde

Actually, it does say Typing.

It's just that, if I'm working in another window, the message indicater doesn't seem to sound in split mode.