Topics

Are there some updated contacts for Skype dev team?

Michele Barbi

Hi guys,

I'd like to contact Skype support for a thing that I am encountering because I think it's a bug, but anyway if you figured out something feel free to answer. Basically, yesterday I manually updated Skype to version 8.61 as soon as it went out, and I figured out that hotkeys mostly don't work, such as alt+numbers for going in to the various Skype parts, or ctrl+shift+p to start an audio call. I only manage to go to the contacts tab with alt+2, but then nothing works. So I'd like to contact Skype support and wanted to know how should I do for it right now.

I really don't know of any, the forum changed several years ago and became an accessibility nightmare to use, Don't call the disability desk as they won't know what you are talking about in regard to skype. And a lot more disappointing experiences.

On 12 Jun 2020, at 11:57, Michele Barbi wrote:

Hi guys,

I'd like to contact Skype support for a thing that I am encountering because I think it's a bug, but anyway if you figured out something feel free to answer. Basically, yesterday I manually updated Skype to version 8.61 as soon as it went out, and I figured out that hotkeys mostly don't work, such as alt+numbers for going in to the various Skype parts, or ctrl+shift+p to start an audio call. I only manage to go to the contacts tab with alt+2, but then nothing works. So I'd like to contact Skype support and wanted to know how should I do for it right now.

Lino Morales

I guess the only thing you can try is the Feedback Hub in WIN 10.

On 6/12/2020 3:00 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[...]

You could try that, but how about those of us not on windows? The mac client is getting harder for some of us to use as well.

On 12 Jun 2020, at 12:02, Lino Morales wrote:

[...]

Well hate to break it to you kids, but who uses Skype anymore anyway? The other clients we can't talk about here are the winners these days.

On 6/12/2020 3:05 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[...]

Hi Lino, thanks for you  recommendation, I'll try to verify how it works. Effectively I am now using desktop pc with Windows 10, but Sarah is also right, since we should have a way to report issues in Skype for other platforms.

I have to use it for my job, so I still use it. and clients do not want to use another application and learn one. We want to make it as easy for our clients and skype sadly is it. Teams could be used, but that's only for work stuff. By the way my clients for some of them, they have never heard of skype.

On 12 Jun 2020, at 12:22, Lino Morales wrote:

[...]

Octavian Rasnita

Hi Sarah,

When other people complaint that they had a problem with Skype 8, you didn't care and didn't like their messages, just because that time Skype 8 was good enough for you, even if most people were using Skype for Windows. You said:
"Actually I'm loving skype 8 for mac. It is accessible, fast, stable and very easy to use. I've already sent some video messages, files, media, taught my classes, chatted and more. Now if only they would allow the pins and list that I have on windows skype but maybe that will come up. Rocking and loving skype 8 for mac.".

I guess that now you don't consider the negative messages about Skype 8 as beeing something bad anymore, once that Skype 8 is also bad for you.
The so call constructive solutions praised on this mailing list were to contact MS customer care and not to say negative things here

You said: "I love love love love love windows 10. It is snappy and just works out of the box. I can turn on narrator with windows control enter and set up my system. It just plane rocks. I'm still learning windows 10 but microsoft has taken leaps and bounds in terms of accessibility. I'm also a part of their insider program and I also love that as well.".

My suggestion is to start using Windows 10 if you say that you like it so much, and you will see how good is Skype 8 under this OS.

PS. Sorry, but it was just a joke. Of course I don't recommend you to use this bad app under this bad OS, at least for the moment.
If a theatre is really bad made, then maybe even the firemen don't have access to extinguish the fire, so it might be abandoned.

--Octavian

[...]

Here are 4 suggestions I found in the mailing list archive (that were made when somebody else had problems with Skype 8:)

From: Sarah k Alawami
The point is, that we are seeing way too much talk and no action
. Someone does not like something and they just complain instead of hitting windows f and submitting feedback on said app(s) Microsoft does in fact listen. I am an insider and have ben for about a year on 1 of their platforms and they do listen. They have fixed several bugs on skype for xbox and windows and mac. So, get that feedback in instead of just wishing for somethingn to happen. If you don't like it, there's the door, and you can uninstall skype off of your system, and find somethingn that is better such as facebook or zoom for that matter, but put your energy to constructive feedback stacks reports, diag logs etc.

From: Sarah k Alawami
Then sit down, write your feedback to skype directly and not here. We have already heard it. If you you don't like it there is always zoom or the delete key. You tend to sound like a broken record and we are starting to not like it. You in this case and on this list are the minority as you are I hink the only one who is hating skype and its new ways. Either get used to it, get left behind, or leave. I'm speaking as a list member, not a mod.

Actually all of them are advantages. I don't like when people, and I've heard this on twitter, not this list, say that skype 8 is inaccessible because it's too hard to use. Not enough people are giving this a chance in my humble opinion. I've ben sing it since prabably October off and on and it has come a long long way. It is faster than 7, easier than 7, and yeah, just works.

From: Shaun Oliver
Whenever I see an email from you regarding Skype, it is a never ending litany of charges against it's ease of use, that it's worse than what you had, it's less accessible, it's less efficient, it's this, it's that, or it's the other.
We've heard every single complaint you've raised before, and reitterating them here, is not going to change what currently is. If you feel that strongly about it, contact the MS Disability Access Desk and kindly present them with your arguments.

--Octavian

[...]

Actually I'm still rocking it, I can still do everything I need to do, I even love the accessible messages that show up in the html view. The only thing I don't like now is that on least on mobile I'm missing notifications and they don't sync properly on skype for anything. They show up as read even though I never read them. Maybe with a skype update that will be fixed. I am though hoping we can use teams at my job as it will be a lot easier then I can see where things go.

On 13 Jun 2020, at 8:36, Octavian Rasnita wrote:

[...]

Already done. And there is now not a feedback utility for mac and skype as far as I can see. Someone emailed the disability desk for Microsoft and the rep I don't thin knew what skype was, in fact told them flat out that they don't have a disability support channel for said app. If this is true, this is indeed sad.

From: Shaun Oliver