Topics

Are Doug's Scripts Really Active?

Steve Matzura <number6@...>

I just installed Doug Lee's JAWS scripts for Skype version 8.25. I'm not sure they're active. When I press JAWS Key plus Q, sometimes JAWS tells me "Chrome settings are loaded," and sometimes "Scripts for Skype 6.22 are loaded." What the ????

Steve Matzura <number6@...>

OK, I figured out why JAWS says "Scripts 6.22," etc. I was in JAWS 17 at the time. So we'll forget all that, except for one question: How to remove those scripts?

Sarah k Alawami

Can you install overtop of those there by hopefully upgrading the scripts?

On 26 Jul 2018, at 8:45, Steve Matzura wrote:

OK, I figured out why JAWS says "Scripts 6.22," etc. I was in JAWS 17 at the time. So we'll forget all that, except for one question: How to remove those scripts?

Jerry Pryde

That's what I thought.
When I install latest scripts, it just overrides the old ones; removes and installs the new scripts.

Can you install overtop of those there by hopefully upgrading the
scripts?

On 26 Jul 2018, at 8:45, Steve Matzura wrote:

OK, I figured out why JAWS says "Scripts 6.22," etc. I was in JAWS 17 at the time. So we'll forget all that, except for one question: How to remove those scripts?

Steve Matzura <number6@...>

The scripts that were overwritten were in JAWS 18 and 2018, but the ones for JAWS 17 are still in place. Those are the ones I want to remove.

But I'm still not sure Doug's scripts really got installed, because JAWS 18 and 2018 both said "Chrome settings are loaded" before and after I installed version 102 of his scripts. Most odd.

-----Original Message----- From: Sarah k Alawami
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2018 11:47 AM
To: skypeenglish@groups.io

Can you install overtop of those there by hopefully upgrading the
scripts?

On 26 Jul 2018, at 8:45, Steve Matzura wrote:

OK, I figured out why JAWS says "Scripts 6.22," etc. I was in JAWS 17 at the time. So we'll forget all that, except for one question: How to remove those scripts?

Doug Lee

I'll try to cover all of this thread at once; feel free to prompt me if I miss something. :-)

If JAWS does not say, "Revision 45 Skype for Windows Desktop 8 (Electron) settings are loaded," possibly with a different revision number, the Skype 8 scripts are not active. This is a litmus test for whether they are active,
but not for whether they are installed in this case. More on that below.

The way to remove Skype scripts, or most any of my scripts, is to find the "Uninstall ..." entry for them in your Start menu or Start screen. Typing "Skype" usually finds them. The uninstaller will offer to remove from all JAWS
versions into which that installer installed in the first place. Go ahead and allow it to remove all of them. A script installer will detect if another installation of that same set of scripts already exists and will require
the uninstaller to complete before running; but scripts for one Skype version do not detect scripts for a different Skype version - where "version" here means Skype 8, Skype 7 (which the Skype 6.22b scripts support), and Skype UWP.

Now about why you may not be seeing the Skype 8 scripts active:

Electron apps, such as Skype 8, act in many ways like HTML pages, including having an address, or URL, that identifies them. Confusingly enough, the URL identifying Skype 8 is simply "Index," or possibly in some JAWS versions,
"Index.html." The Skype 8 scripts load based on this identifier; but I am not certain that JAWS 17, 18, and 2018 all settle on the same identifier for Skype 8. To handle this, I included more than one way to make the scripts
load; but it's possible I missed a case or two.

So if you are absolutely certain that the Skype 8 script installer ran successfully, that you included your active JAWS version when you installed the scripts, and that Ins+Q says "Chrome" instead of something about Skype 8;
let me know which JAWS version you are using, or versions if you see this in more than one; and I'll see if I can help figure out what's going on.

Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2018 11:47 AM
To: skypeenglish@groups.io

Can you install overtop of those there by hopefully upgrading the
scripts?

On 26 Jul 2018, at 8:45, Steve Matzura wrote:

OK, I figured out why JAWS says "Scripts 6.22," etc. I was in JAWS 17
at the time. So we'll forget all that, except for one question: How to
remove those scripts?

"Our chief want in life is somebody who will make us do what
we can. {Ralph Waldo Emerson}

Steve Matzura <number6@...>

Oh boy, lots wrong here.

On 7/26/2018 12:37 PM, Doug Lee wrote:
If JAWS does not say, "Revision 45 Skype for Windows Desktop 8 (Electron) settings are loaded," possibly with a different revision number, the Skype 8 scripts are not active. This is a litmus test for whether they are active,
but not for whether they are installed in this case. More on that below.
Electron? I'm on Windows 10. I installed the one from the link entitled "• Skype UWP (Skype for windows 10) JAWS scripts".

The way to remove Skype scripts, or most any of my scripts, is to find the "Uninstall ..." entry for them in your Start menu or Start screen. Typing "Skype" usually finds them. The uninstaller will offer to remove from all JAWS
versions into which that installer installed in the first place. Go ahead and allow it to remove all of them. A script installer will detect if another installation of that same set of scripts already exists and will require
the uninstaller to complete before running; but scripts for one Skype version do not detect scripts for a different Skype version - where "version" here means Skype 8, Skype 7 (which the Skype 6.22b scripts support), and Skype UWP.
OK, found and got it done.
[...]

Thank you. It's not the Electron version, and I'm seeing it in both JAWS 18 and 2018.

Doug Lee

Ah ok, the scripts you want for Skype UWP for Windows 10 are at http://www.dlee.org/skype/uwp/

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 01:01:24PM -0400, Steve Matzura wrote:
[...]

Snowmen fall from heaven, unassembled.
--anon

Steve Matzura <number6@...>

Those are the ones I installed. Version 102.

On 7/26/2018 1:43 PM, Doug Lee wrote:
[...]

Ok... the Skype UWP scripts are loaded by a new system for UWP applications, which were formerly called Metro apps if I understand right. I load the Skype UWP scripts when the so-called Metro name of the active application is

Microsoft.SkypeApp!App

Please type Ins+Q twice in quick succession while in Skype UWP and paste the results you get here. That string should appear somewhere, and if not, we probably found the problem.

One other suggestion though: Make sure you have reloaded JAWS one time after installing the Skype UWP scripts. I have seen JAWS fail to recognize an update to ConfigNames.ini, the map from app name to script name, until the
next JAWS reload.

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 01:46:59PM -0400, Steve Matzura wrote:
[...]

"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them
to choose from." -- Andrew Tanenbaum

Steve Matzura <number6@...>

OK, here are two logs. First, the one you asked for:

JAWS Settings Information:
Google Chrome settings are used in the Skype.exe application.
The configuration name is Chrome.
The current scheme is Classic.

And now, something interesting from the scripts' installation log. The first time I ran the installer, I got this text; the second time it ran successfully to completion, and the third time, which I tried just now in case I had downloaded the wrong thing the first time, is a duplicate of the first time's bad  run. Don't laugh when you see that I can't type my own name correctly! :-) The CAPS LOCK key was obviously on when I created the original Windows 10 environment, and I never bothered to fix it. Too many things attached to that badly typed thing.

Install into JAWS folders 18.0|2018.
    Preparing for JAWS script compilation.
18.0:
User folder: C:\Users\sTEVE\AppData\Roaming\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\18.0\Settings\enu
Shared folder: C:\ProgramData\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\18.0\Settings\enu
Output folder: C:\Users\sTEVE\AppData\Roaming\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\18.0\Settings\enu
Installing files.
JAWSUtil command: compile skypeuwp skypeuwp_jcpdict
Updating JAWS user folder files.
2018:
User folder: C:\Users\sTEVE\AppData\Roaming\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\2018\Settings\enu
Shared folder: C:\ProgramData\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\2018\Settings\enu
Output folder: C:\Users\sTEVE\AppData\Roaming\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\2018\Settings\enu
Installing files.
JAWSUtil command: compile skypeuwp skypeuwp_jcpdict
Command returned 1.
Output:
SCompile exited with code -1

Compiling skypeuwp.jss

file skypeuwp.jss, line 171, column 44: Error: Unknown variable UIA_PositionInSetPropertyId

file skypeuwp.jss, line 171, column 94: Error: Unknown variable UIA_SizeOfSetPropertyId

file skypeuwp.jss, line 1135, column 42: Error: Unknown variable UIA_SizeOfSetPropertyId

Compiling skypeuwp_jcpdict.jss

End of output.
Restoring this JAWS folder to its original state.
JAWSInstallDirs is C:\Users\sTEVE\AppData\Roaming\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\18.0\Settings\enu.
Only 1 of 2 installations succeeded.
Output folder: C:\Users\sTEVE\AppData\Roaming\JAWS Scripts For Skype UWP
Created uninstaller: C:\Users\sTEVE\AppData\Roaming\JAWS Scripts For Skype UWP\uninst_jfw_skypeuwp.exe
Create folder: C:\Users\sTEVE\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\JAWS Scripts For Skype UWP
Create shortcut: C:\Users\sTEVE\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\JAWS Scripts For Skype UWP\Uninstall JAWS Scripts For Skype UWP.lnk
Writing log file.

On 7/26/2018 1:51 PM, Doug Lee wrote:
[...]

And it now just occurred to me why those errors happened. When I installed, I had JAWS 17 running the first and third times, JAWS 2018 running the second time. If I use J2018, the install will likely be successful.

PS, if you'd like to Tandem in and see what's going on, just let me know, I'm ready to receive.

Doug Lee

I believe you've been bitten by a little but hard to explain bug. Delete uia.jsh in the JAWS user folder, not the shared folder, and then reinstall.

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 02:07:11PM -0400, Steve Matzura wrote:
And it now just occurred to me why those errors happened. When I installed, I
had JAWS 17 running the first and third times, JAWS 2018 running the second
time. If I use J2018, the install will likely be successful.

PS, if you'd like to Tandem in and see what's going on, just let me know, I'm
ready to receive.

"The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit
of it. You have to catch up with it yourself." --Benjamin Franklin

Steve Matzura <number6@...>

1. In JAWS 2018's "Explore my settings" directory, I renamed UIA.JSH to UIA;.JSH.BAD.

2. Re-installed U WP scripts version 102 while running JAWS2018.

2.1. When it came time to select into which version(s) of JAWS I wanted to install the scripts, only version 18 was selected automatically, so I selected 2018 as well and proceeded.

2.2. The installation completed successfully.

2.3. Upon running Skype, it still says Chrome settings are loaded.

2.4. No new version of UIA.JSH was created.

On 7/26/2018 2:11 PM, Doug Lee wrote:
I believe you've been bitten by a little but hard to explain bug. Delete uia.jsh in the JAWS user folder, not the shared folder, and then reinstall.

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 02:07:11PM -0400, Steve Matzura wrote:
And it now just occurred to me why those errors happened. When I installed, I
had JAWS 17 running the first and third times, JAWS 2018 running the second
time. If I use J2018, the install will likely be successful.

PS, if you'd like to Tandem in and see what's going on, just let me know, I'm
ready to receive.

Doug Lee

I saw your Tandem offer but I'm doing a lot of other things between messages today. :)

Chrome should load only for Skype 8, so I suggest using the JAWS Ctrl+JAWSKey+V command and telling me the version number of your Skype. It actually sounds like you are indeed running Skype 8.

uia.jsh should not come back btw, as you found was the case; so that part worked as expected.

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 02:32:52PM -0400, Steve Matzura wrote:
[...]

"The best executive is the one who has sense enough to pick good men to do
what he wants done, and self-restraint enough to keep from meddling with
them while they do it."--Theodore Roosevelt

Steve Matzura <number6@...>

Skype version 8.25.

On 7/26/2018 3:15 PM, Doug Lee wrote:
[...]

You are indeed running Skype 8, the Electron app. The scripts for that one are at http://www.dlee.org/skype/electron/

If you really want Skype UWP, get it from the Microsoft Windows Store.

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 06:12:22PM -0400, Steve Matzura wrote:
[...]

"When there is no enemy within, the enemies outside cannot hurt you."
--African Proverb

Michele Barbi

But hey, are you trying to use Skype 8.25? If so, revision 102 of Skype UWP scripts is *not* the correct one. You should use Skype electron scripts instead, revision 45, findable at www.dlee.org/skype/electron

Steve Matzura <number6@...>

Doug's Web page says this:

• Skype 8 (Electron app, Skype for Windows older than 10) JAWS scripts

I am on Windows 10, so I would use this one:

On 7/27/2018 6:13 AM, Michele Barbi wrote:
But hey, are you trying to use Skype 8.25? If so, revision 102 of Skype UWP scripts is *not* the correct one. You should use Skype electron scripts instead, revision 45, findable at www.dlee.org/skype/electron

I know but I think first information is out-of-date. Looks like MS is making Windows 10 users be able to use Skype 8.25 as well.