Topics

an atempt to help my fellow skype users

Mike Bernard

Hi guys,

For those of us who are just itching to revert back to a version of skype that we can use in a mannor that we’re used to, here’s a link to skype_7.36.0.101:

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AMkAH7XCF9lXEIE&cid=97BE058011017508&id=97BE058011017508%2133665&parId=97BE058011017508%2111937&action=locate

All you have to do is press enter on the above link, then navigate down the page till you see a link that says: “skype_7.36.0.101.exe  ‎Jan‎ ‎16” Press enter and you should get a window that asks you if you’d like to either run or save the file. Press enter or spacebar on the save button and download it to your computer. Then locate the file and install like normal. Be sure to remove any other versions of skype you have installed prior to doing this. If you can’t download the file for some reason, contact me off list and I’ll send you a copy of the .exe file.

Mike

P.S. When you install skype 7.36, you will not be bothered by the “Update Skype Today” message, as it bypasses it automatically.

Do you like disco? Do you like to shake your groove with New Wave, 90s Hiphop, Or today’s slammin hits? If so, check out my show every Wednesday night from 7 to 9 pm Eastern on ACB Radio Interactive at

www.acbradio.org/interactive

I wonder when Microsoft will disable  that version. Just learn 8. It is easy to use.

On February 5, 2019 21:56:09 "Mike Bernard via Groups.Io" <mbern6516@...> wrote:

[...]

Jerry Pryde

I just installed it; it works.

How long before it doesn't?

On 06/02/2019 12:56 a.m., Mike Bernard via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

I'm working on upgrading with help from a program here in my part of Canada.

I'll keep this until then.

On 06/02/2019 2:43 a.m., Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[...]

Lino Morales

Mike your message is pointless sir. If people installed this it won’t work and will be asked to install Skype 8. So suck it up buttercup and embrace the new Skype. I did and others have without any problems.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Hey man I was only trying to be helpful. It takes some people longer to grasp the concept of newer things than others. The program does indeed work.  After all, this is why Sara has this list. It’s designed for people to help each other, not bash each others’ ideas, no matter how silly they might sound to some people.

Mike

[...]

Dude I’m not bashing! Like I’ve said and Sarah has said countless times its time to move on Jack. Skype 7.x is dead like Curt Cobain. Its not hard at all to use on Windows 10 and 7 for those who are still on it. I have a better experience using it on NVDA.

[...]

Speaking strictly for myself, Thanks Mike.

This will get me by for a bit, until I upgrade shortly.

I'd expect this won't be working in about two weeks or so; unless someone knows something I don't. lol

But, until then, I can study Mr. Imuddin's tutorial, look at the hotkeys link, and be ready when the upgrade happens.

And, if necessary, get some help from this list.

The way I see it, there's no way I can lose.

So, thanks billions all.

This version should keep things going until upgrade time, even if it stops working a little before.

I'm good.

Thanks again Mike.  You actually helped in the upgrade process.

On 06/02/2019 3:01 p.m., Lino Morales wrote:

[...]

I would not be surprised though if MS disabled this program in time though. I'd suggest just forgetting about this idea and learningn skype 8. Do this now before they disable all older versions of skype which will in time happen, either due to operating system or skype itself and requirements.

Take care

On 6 Feb 2019, at 11:58, Mike Bernard via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

You’re very welcome Jerry.

Mike

[...]

Oran Morrison <oran.morrison@...>

this old version works beautifully for me so thanks to the poster.  Oran

[...]

It's a good temporary measure until I can get the upgrades; just enough to keep things going normally until then.

That's really all it is for me.  I still get the notice that an update is available.  For now, I click on the Not Now option.

It's just a helpful bridge to the new version, making things almost seamless.

On 07/02/2019 7:15 a.m., Oran Morrison via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

Well I’m glad to see that there are at least some people on this list who actually appreciate my assistance. For the rest of you who feel that the old versions are gone, and that we should just put up with overly complicated software, you need to understand that not everyone is a quick study like you are. Learning new things can be difficult for some of us and we can’t all just dive head first into things like the rest of you can. Especially when it comes to software with accessability issues. The scripts are there to help yes, and that’s great, but the scripts can only go so far. It’s not that we don’t want to learn something new, it’s just that there are times when things get really difficult, sometimes there’s nothing else you can do but revert back to a prior version for the sake of accessability. We as blind people aren’t the only ones who were affected negativly by skype 8. Our sighted counterparts have difficulty with it too. Finally, for those who have installed 7.36, once installed, be sure to go into the options menu, and turn off the automatic updates option. If you aren’t familliar with this option, you can get there by doing the following.

1.       Log into skype and go to tools menu

2.       Select options

3.       Arrow down to where it says, “automatic updates” then tab once to get to the button marked turn off automatic updates. Press spacebar on this button to turn it off.

4.       Then tab to save and press spacebar and you’ll be all set.

I appologize for the long post, but I felt that I had to come forward and speak my peace and to say that I’m glad that Jerry, Mario and others have found my suggestion helpful. Yes, version 7.36 may be old, but it’s a work around for now and I too am glad that it works for us. Have a nice day everyone.

Sincerely,

Mike

[...]

Clare Page <clare.page@...>

Hi!

It’s true that we’re not all good at learning new things quickly, such as a totally new layout of a program we have used in the same way for a good while, and I can appreciate that several of you find Skype 8 difficult to get used to. However, it is not true that Skype 8 is inaccessible: several of us blind Skype users have managed to learn how to use Skype 8 with our screenreaders, with scripts if necessary, and, even though Skype 8 isn’t perfect, and has lost some of the features Skype 7 had, it is still usable. Unusable is probably a more appropriate word for those who are finding it particularly hard to use Skype 8: I can’t agree with you on that, but we’re all different. At least give Skype 8 a try, and ask for advice if you really can’t get the hang of it. After all, even if some of you still have working copies of Skype 7, how long will those copies be usable? That’s something we can’t predict. Turning off Check For Updates in Skype 7 might help for a while, but one day you’ll have to make the decision whether to bite the bullet and use Skype 8, or whether to give up Skype because the old version won’t work and you don’t want to use the new one, which, I repeat, is very different, but is still accessible.

Bye for now!

From Clare

[...]

in my humble opinion, just upgrade and get it done. It's like getting a shot. It hurts for a second then thepain goes away. So just get the shot and face the new and wonderful skype. Plus Inamidon sorry about spelling, has done some tutorials on skype 8. Use the tools we have folks.

On 7 Feb 2019, at 4:39, Jerry Pryde wrote:

[...]

Totally agree.

It' sobvious I'll need to swich to skype 8; and, I will.

From what I've heard and read, it shouldn't be that hard.

I just need to upgrade some things before I make the change.

Mike's link simply provides a way to keep things normal until then.

There's some assysstence from the provincial government here in my part of Canada that makes the costs more manageable.

So, I'm just accessing that process to upgrade to windows 7, and the latest JAWS version.

Then, it's on to Skype 8.

Meanwhile, with this link, I can work as usual until then.  Every little bit helps, I always say.

On 07/02/2019 10:28 a.m., Clare Page wrote:

[...]

From Clare

[...]

Watch out, one day skype 8 will fail to work with windows 7, actually I woudl upgrade to windows 10 if you can, as windows 7 support stops in 2020. That is another beast to conquer but it works.

Take care

On 7 Feb 2019, at 7:36, Jerry Pryde wrote:

Totally agree.

It' sobvious I'll need to swich to skype 8; and, I will.

From what I've heard and read, it shouldn't be that hard.

[...]

From Clare

[...]

Larry Lumpkin

Jerry, why don’t you go on to windows 10. I think you’d like that better.

[...]

Yup:

I'm going on to windows 10 shortly.

That's part of the upgrade I'm arranging

On 07/02/2019 11:18 a.m., Larry Lumpkin wrote:

[...]

Jerry dude why not upgrade? The installer is a piece of strawberry shortcake sir. Just let it do it’s thing the next time that dialog comes up. What you waiting for Christmas 2020? LOL! Just be sure if you want them to get Doug’s scripts beforehand.