Topics

A pair of questions regarding Skype for Windows 10

Michele Barbi

Hi guys,

first of all I should say that I am runnig Skype for Windows desktop instead of the one for Windows 10. During a Tandem session with a friend of mine, I discovered that she's using the one for Windows 10 instead, the one from the Microsoft store; at least, I think so. So here are the questions:

1. Is there a way to add this app in the desktop?

2. Since there were some problems when going back to Skype, I decided to install the scripts by Doug Lee, but apparently they're not recognized correctly. Her JAWS version is 2020, but she still has build 2001. What can we do?

Interesting that your friend's system is not running my scripts as expected. Make sure you restarted JAWS once after installing my scripts, because JAWS often won't see changes to the ConfigNames.ini file, which decides which
scripts to load for which application, until JAWS is restarted.

As for launching the Store version of Skype, I just type "Skype" into the Start search box and press Enter. I'm not sure how to make a Desktop shortcut for that version, but I never needed to try. Of course it is also
possible to make Skype automatically load on system start; it's a checkbox in Settings.

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 01:03:42PM +0100, Michele Barbi wrote:
Hi guys,

first of all I should say that I am runnig Skype for Windows desktop instead
of the one for Windows 10. During a Tandem session with a friend of mine, I
discovered that she's using the one for Windows 10 instead, the one from the
Microsoft store; at least, I think so. So here are the questions:

1. Is there a way to add this app in the desktop?

2. Since there were some problems when going back to Skype, I decided to
install the scripts by Doug Lee, but apparently they're not recognized
correctly. Her JAWS version is 2020, but she still has build 2001. What can we
do?

In healthy competition, the best battles are not for status, but for excellence;
and the battles are not between me and you,
but between you and you, and between me and me. (08/15/2009)

Michele Barbi

Hi Doug, thanks for your response. We effectively did not restart JAWS, so that's possibly why the scripts were not recognized properly. I'll check it out by calling her in the next days and we'll see what happens, but considering I also installed the latest Windows updates which required a system restart, it's possible that now it works ok.

Mich Verrier

Hi Dug I hve the latest skype installd and am running jaws 2018 and don't know if I have the scripts installd since for some reason I can't seem to get to my contacts or do anything with the program. When I hit incert q it says google crome settings are loaded the aplacation that is running is skype. From Mich Verrier from New lIskeard Ontario Canada.

Hi Doug, thanks for your response. We effectively did not restart JAWS,
so that's possibly why the scripts were not recognized properly. I'll
check it out by calling her in the next days and we'll see what happens,
but considering I also installed the latest Windows updates which
required a system restart, it's possible that now it works ok.

Hey Mich, I think I can help in your case...

Since you have quite an old JAWS version, apart from the Skype scripts which you however should make sure are installed, you will need to install the scripts load manager as well. Point your browser at www.dlee.org/slman and download the installer.

On 1 Feb 2021, at 5:11, Doug Lee wrote:

As for launching the Store version of Skype, I just type "Skype" into the Start search box and press Enter. I'm not sure how to make a Desktop shortcut for that version, but I never needed to try

  1. find the skype icon in the start menu
  2. hit shift f10 or yoru applications key
  3. click "make shortcut. You will then be yelled at. Say yes, and it will be on the desktop.
  4. move it to wher you want. I have a folder wher I put my shortcuts I use most often.

hope that helps.

Michele Barbi

Hey Sarah, thanks for your tip on how to create a shortcut on the desktop! That is so useful! I'll let you know if/when I'll manage to do something with my friend...