creating a new account

Stephen Troy

hi guys

I was am trying to create a new account for a friend and the first
thing I see is enter phone number and then create a password.

once the account is created and I open skype, the phone number I used
is displayed as the username rather than the person's name.

any one got a clue as to why this is happening?

i'm using windows 10, jaws 2018 and skype version 7.40.103.

many thanks in advance

steve

Sarah k Alawami

Yes. As of 2016 or 2015 you can no longer use a user name to create an account. You have to use an email or phone number. It sucks big time.

I hope that helps just a little bit.

On Jan 28, 2018, at 3:15 PM, Stephen Troy <stephentroy1961@...> wrote:

hi guys

I was am trying to create a new account for a friend and the first
thing I see is enter phone number and then create a password.

once the account is created and I open skype, the phone number I used
is displayed as the username rather than the person's name.

any one got a clue as to why this is happening?

i'm using windows 10, jaws 2018 and skype version 7.40.103.

many thanks in advance

steve

Stephen Troy

thanks sarah and I couldn't agree more with that the fact that it
sucks big time.

pathetic by Microsoft.

wrote:

hi guys

I was am trying to create a new account for a friend and the first
thing I see is enter phone number and then create a password.

once the account is created and I open skype, the phone number I used
is displayed as the username rather than the person's name.

any one got a clue as to why this is happening?

i'm using windows 10, jaws 2018 and skype version 7.40.103.

many thanks in advance

steve

cecropia64

So does this mean that you don't have a username at all.  That the only thing that shows up in your contacts list is a phone number?

wrote:

hi guys

I was am trying to create a new account for a friend and the first
thing I see is enter phone number and then create a password.

once the account is created and I open skype, the phone number I used
is displayed as the username rather than the person's name.

any one got a clue as to why this is happening?

i'm using windows 10, jaws 2018 and skype version 7.40.103.

many thanks in advance

steve

Sarah k Alawami

Yes, unless, you put a display name, however to add the person you would need to add a phone number. I don't like that as I don't want my student's emails or phone numbers to seen. That to me is a big fail.

wrote:

hi guys

I was am trying to create a new account for a friend and the first
thing I see is enter phone number and then create a password.

once the account is created and I open skype, the phone number I used
is displayed as the username rather than the person's name.

any one got a clue as to why this is happening?

i'm using windows 10, jaws 2018 and skype version 7.40.103.

many thanks in advance

steve

cecropia64

You are right.  That does suck!

wrote:

hi guys

I was am trying to create a new account for a friend and the first
thing I see is enter phone number and then create a password.

once the account is created and I open skype, the phone number I used
is displayed as the username rather than the person's name.

any one got a clue as to why this is happening?

i'm using windows 10, jaws 2018 and skype version 7.40.103.

many thanks in advance

steve

Dan Eickmeier

i agree Sarah, when they did that, it was definitely something that turned me away from Skype.

wrote:

hi guys

I was am trying to create a new account for a friend and the first
thing I see is enter phone number and then create a password.

once the account is created and I open skype, the phone number I used
is displayed as the username rather than the person's name.

any one got a clue as to why this is happening?

i'm using windows 10, jaws 2018 and skype version 7.40.103.

many thanks in advance

steve

Sarah k Alawami

I actually didn't find otu about the change until about 2016. If you check the archives for this list which were transferred over you will find the conversation. I can't remember the thread now, but it is there. I was just as unhappy then as I am now.

wrote:

hi guys

I was am trying to create a new account for a friend and the first
thing I see is enter phone number and then create a password.

once the account is created and I open skype, the phone number I used
is displayed as the username rather than the person's name.

any one got a clue as to why this is happening?

i'm using windows 10, jaws 2018 and skype version 7.40.103.

many thanks in advance

steve

Michele Barbi

Hey guys,
if I  remember well there is also the option to use the Microsoft account as a Skype name. I think in this case your contacts will see live: followed by the username, without any space.
Bye|!
Barbuz

Stephen Troy

the only two options I see michelle are phone or email and whichever
you use appears as your username.

On 29/01/2018, Michele Barbi <barbi.michele@...> wrote:
Hey guys,
if I  remember well there is also the option to use the Microsoft
account as a Skype name. I think in this case your contacts will see
live: followed by the username, without any space.
Bye|!

Allright Stephen, thanks for the info.

I actually tried that, they see my email if I don't put in a display name which I do have.

Take care

On Jan 29, 2018, at 12:44 AM, Michele Barbi <barbi.michele@...> wrote:

Hey guys,
if I remember well there is also the option to use the Microsoft account as a Skype name. I think in this case your contacts will see live: followed by the username, without any space.
Bye|!
Barbuz

Mike DeZinno

I agree, This does suck,
Do you all feel that maybe the best way to handle this problem is to set up a dedicated email address just for Skype, so you can keep your privacy?
Mike, in SC

At 12:48 PM 1/29/2018, you wrote:
I actually tried that, they see my email if I don't put in a display name which I do have.

Take care

> On Jan 29, 2018, at 12:44 AM, Michele Barbi <barbi.michele@...> wrote:
>
> Hey guys,
> if I  remember well there is also the option to use the Microsoft account as a Skype name. I think in this case your contacts will see live: followed by the username, without any space.
> Bye|!
> Barbuz

Jerry Pryde

Or, use a ficticious email address.
Could MS know it’s fake?

Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 12:29 PM
Subject: Re: [skypeenglish] creating a new account

At 12:48 PM 1/29/2018, you wrote:
I actually tried that, they see my email if I don't put in a display name which I do have.

Take care

> On Jan 29, 2018, at 12:44 AM, Michele Barbi <barbi.michele@...> wrote:
>
> Hey guys,
> if I  remember well there is also the option to use the Microsoft account as a Skype name. I think in this case your contacts will see live: followed by the username, without any space.
> Bye|!
> Barbuz

Sarah k Alawami

Yeah, you are sent instructions  to reset the password through that email I think. You are also sent more stuff from them regarding the skype account through that email. I actually don't know how they are doing  it but my students have user names and some of them just started in December of 2017, so yeah it appears there is a workaround but I don't know what it is.

Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 12:29 PM