From: skypeenglish@groups.io [mailto:skypeenglish@groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael Amaro
Sent: Tuesday, 23 January 2018 5:40 p.m.
To: skypeenglish@groups.io
Subject: [skypeenglish] skype UWP question

    Hello Listers,

I am running windows 10 1709 latest build jaws 2018.  Using skype UWP, how would I go about inviting some one to an existing call that I had previously started?

thanks

Michael

Email:

iPhone:

What kind of peace do I mean? What kind of peace do we seek? Not a Pax Americana enforced on the world by American weapons of war. Not the peace of the grave or the security of the slave. I am talking about genuine peace, the kind of peace that makes life on earth worth living, the kind that enables men and nations to grow and to hope and to build a better life for their children--not merely peace for Americans but peace for all men and women--not merely peace in our time but peace for all time."

Stephen Troy

hi kimmie

I don't think you can get rid of it. it's a nuisance but it shouldn't
always show. mine does it now and again. I think it's failed to assign
control shift plus f9.

a pain that control doesn't even stop jaws from repeating the damned thing.

On 23/01/2018, Kimmie <pegasus21@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
Could someone tell me how I can get rid of this darned message when my
computer starts up. it says something like failed to alert with...and it
gives the keystrokes which I can't remember now, but it's darned annoying.
Even when I didn't have skype starting up it said it. I want to be rid of
it!

I am running windows 10 1709 latest build jaws 2018. Using skype UWP, how
would I go about inviting some one to an existing call that I had
previously
started?

thanks

Michael

Email:

mikeameli@earthlink.net

iPhone:

mikeameli@iCloud.com
JFK"

What kind of peace do I mean? What kind of peace do we seek? Not a Pax
Americana enforced on the world by American weapons of war. Not the peace
of
the grave or the security of the slave. I am talking about genuine peace,
the kind of peace that makes life on earth worth living, the kind that
enables men and nations to grow and to hope and to build a better life for
their children--not merely peace for Americans but peace for all men and
women--not merely peace in our time but peace for all time."

Michele Barbi

Ok guys, if I got what it is, I don't think it's specific to Skype
UWP, as this must be referring to SkypeWatch.
That must be "failed to assign alt+shift+f9 to SWSayAlert" or
something like that. Also, it might be repeated with
control+scrollock+f9.
If that happens, try restarting JAWS and see if the error goes away.
Also, please report your JAWS/Skype/scripts version.

[...]

hi michelle

it's not specific to UWP. i'm still running 7.40 and that message has
been popping up occasionally for the last year, if not longer.

it doesn't happen all the time and stops after about 30 seconds or so.

On 23/01/2018, Michele Barbi <barbi.michele@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Gary Jackson <gljackson@...>

Have any of you tried recompiling the scripts?

Gary

On 23/01/2018, Michele Barbi <barbi.michele@...> wrote:
> Ok guys, if I got what it is, I don't think it's specific to Skype
> UWP, as this must be referring to SkypeWatch.
> That must be "failed to assign alt+shift+f9 to SWSayAlert" or
> something like that. Also, it might be repeated with
> control+scrollock+f9.
> If that happens, try restarting JAWS and see if the error goes away.
> Also, please report your JAWS/Skype/scripts version.

>> hi kimmie
>>
>> I don't think you can get rid of it. it's a nuisance but it shouldn't
>> always show. mine does it now and again. I think it's failed to assign
>> control shift plus f9.
>>
>> a pain that control doesn't even stop jaws from repeating the damned
>> thing.
>>

>> On 23/01/2018, Kimmie <pegasus21@...> wrote:
>>> Could someone tell me how I can get rid of this darned message when my
>>> computer starts up. it says something like failed to alert with...and it
>>> gives the keystrokes which I can't remember now, but it's darned
>>> annoying.
>>> Even when I didn't have skype starting up it said it. I want to be rid
>>> of
>>> it!

---
http://www.avg.com

Stephen Troy

yes. several times.

Sent from my iPhone

On 23 Jan 2018, at 09:13, Gary Jackson <gljackson@...> wrote:

Have any of you tried recompiling the scripts?

Gary

it's not specific to UWP. i'm still running 7.40 and that message has
been popping up occasionally for the last year, if not longer.

it doesn't happen all the time and stops after about 30 seconds or so.

On 23/01/2018, Michele Barbi <barbi.michele@...> wrote:
> Ok guys, if I got what it is, I don't think it's specific to Skype
> UWP, as this must be referring to SkypeWatch.
> That must be "failed to assign alt+shift+f9 to SWSayAlert" or
> something like that. Also, it might be repeated with
> control+scrollock+f9.
> If that happens, try restarting JAWS and see if the error goes away.
> Also, please report your JAWS/Skype/scripts version.

>> hi kimmie
>>
>> I don't think you can get rid of it. it's a nuisance but it shouldn't
>> always show. mine does it now and again. I think it's failed to assign
>> control shift plus f9.
>>
>> a pain that control doesn't even stop jaws from repeating the damned
>> thing.
>>

>> On 23/01/2018, Kimmie <pegasus21@...> wrote:
>>> Could someone tell me how I can get rid of this darned message when my
>>> computer starts up. it says something like failed to alert with...and it
>>> gives the keystrokes which I can't remember now, but it's darned
>>> annoying.
>>> Even when I didn't have skype starting up it said it. I want to be rid
>>> of
>>> it!

Doug Lee

This is the first I've heard of this. I saw this in 2009 and coded to prevent it, but it sounds like you're seeing it again now. It's caused by certain functions failing when used while the security screen is active. I will
clearly need to fix this, but I need to know a few things:

Is the exact message, "Warning, failed to assign alt+shift+f9 to swSayAlert," and also one for Control+ScrollLock+F9?

How often do these messages repeat on one system start?

What Windows and JAWS versions are you using, and what script version for Skype classic Desktop client?

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 07:28:50AM +0000, Stephen Troy wrote:
[...]

"There are no guarantees. From a standpoint of fear, none are
strong enough. From a standpoint of love, none are necessary."
- from Emmanuel's Book II

Stephen Troy

hi doug

the second question might be the more difficult to answer.

yes, that is the exact message that pops up.

how often does it repeat on one start up? numerous. maybe eight but
probably more.

i'm running windows 10, jaws 2018, skype version 7.40.103, scripts
version 6.22B and revision version 983.

hope that info helps

steve

Level Access doug.lee@LevelAccess.com
http://www.LevelAccess.com
"There are no guarantees. From a standpoint of fear, none are
strong enough. From a standpoint of love, none are necessary."
- from Emmanuel's Book II

Doug Lee

Please redownload script version 6.22b as I have updated it: http://www.dlee.org/skype/

Problem is, I can no longer test the scripts for Skype 7 because Skype 8, which I am scripting, replaced it on my laptop.

Let me know if there are any problems with this update, which is revision 986, so I know whether I should advertise the update more widely yet. The update causes the two keys in question to be set up by the installer rather
than by code in the scripts themselves.

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 04:46:26PM +0000, Stephen Troy wrote:
[...]

There is more freedom in knowing how to handle pain than in knowing
how to avoid it. (4/29/01)

Jerry Pryde

I've had that message before, but not often enough to consider it a real problem.
The last time it happened for me was months ago.

[...]

Hello guys,
effectively I had this issue in the past but not recently. I also don't know if it's worth to report this minor scripts update to Italian translator and package maker, because we don't have authomatic installer but only a zip file. Only thing could be the new approach for chat messages though I sincerely don't know how many users will benefit from it.

Andre Polykanine

Doug,

Problem is, I can no longer test the scripts for Skype 7 because
Skype 8, which I am scripting, replaced it on my laptop.
Sorry, why can't you reinstall Skype 7 back?

--
With best regards from Ukraine,
Andre

[...]

The rules seem to run like this among the three Windows Skype clients:

1. Skype UWP and Skype 7 will coexist on disk but only one will run at a time. Running one kills the other.

2. Skype 7 and Skype 8 cannot coexist on disk because Skype 8 replaces Skype 7.

3. Skype 7 and Skype UWP can run concurrently on Windows 10, probably because Microsoft didn't expect anyone to run Skype 8 there lol.

So I think if I reinstall Skype 7, I will lose Skype 8 which I am trying to work on.

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 11:27:30PM +0200, Andre Polykanine wrote:
Doug,

[...]

What is most worth paying for, you buy with the life you live.
(11/10/07)

Michael Amaro

In skype UWP, how do you bring another person in to an already existing call?

[...]

Octavian Rasnita

Hi Doug,

At least for testing purposes, I think you can simply rename the folder "Skype" from Program Files folder to something else, like "Skype8", then install the other version and test it. Then you can also rename the new "Skype" folder created to something else, like "Skype7" and rename back "Skype8" to just "Skype" and continue to use it.

Or does Skype 8 install somewhere else a .dll file with the same name but different version/interface? Because in that case you might not be able to do this.

--Octavian

[...]

Skypes go under the 32-bit version of Program Files. Skype 7 goes in Skype\Phone and Skype 8 goes in Microsoft\Skype for Desktop. For this reason, I didn't expect problems trying to switch between them leaving them both on
disk. However, after installing Skype 8, I discovered at some point that Skype\Phone was largely cleaned out. So I think Skype 8 simply deletes a lot of Skype 7 files on installation.

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 08:40:09AM +0200, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
[...]

"When your best-laid plans have turned to dust, vacuum!"
- Whoopi Goldberg

Octavian Rasnita

Sounds pretty bad.
Should we wait for Windows 11? :-)

Some people say that Windows 10 is good enough for the blind, but at least these discussions about Skype make me keep Windows 7 as much as possible.

--Octavian

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

There will be no windows 11. I heard that this is it for Microsoft. They are just going to be releasing major upgrades to windows 10 like the fall creator. The winter creator should be coming out sometime in maybe march or what not. I'm no longer a member of the insider program so  I can't give any dates.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Lee" <dgl@...>

Doug Lee                 dgl@...                http://www.dlee.org
Level Access             doug.lee@...
http://www.LevelAccess.com
[...]

Yes I know that there won't be any Windows 11.
Actually these so called versions are just funny names that try to convince us how great Windows is.

Windows Vista is Windows 6.0, Windows 7 is Windows 6.1, Windows 8.0 is Windows 6.2, Windows 8.1 is Windows 6.3, and Windows 11 is nothing more than Windows 6.4.

I don't think they'll remain forever to version 6.x. In a certain moment they'll surely make an important upgrade to Windows version 7.0, then to 8.0, and who knows how they will name it.

--Octavian