Skype Preview for Desktop

Andre Polykanine

Hi everyone,
Strange enough that two weeks passed and nobody spoke about it (or I
didn't see any mention)... anyway.
Microsoft brings its (rather ugly) new Skype experience to desktops:
https://blogs.skype.com/news/2017/08/17/hello-desktops-meet-skype-preview/
Those of you who did see newest Skype versions on mobile platforms
already have the happy (where is my irony punctuation?) opportunity to
get a look on what's going in there.
In short: it is an Electron-based application. Microsoft did all its
best for its accessibility, and it is really 90% accessible with some
tiny bits that cannot be reached. But it is one single web-based
window with no possibility to separate chats in any way. More than
that, there are virtually no settings, no sound selection between
modern and classic, no font size selection for our sighted or visually
impaired fellows with remaining vision, nothing. You can't even surely
remain in a call window when in a voice conversation, because when
someone else calls you - boom, you are out of that window where the
hang up button is.
So is it accessible? Yes, mostly. but is it usable? No, should I say,
because when my boss would send me a message, I won't be able to
quickly find his message, because... well, because it's one huge web
page. Most like Slack, if you get what I mean. And yes, it does
consume memory like a monster, both on mobile and on desktop.
Microsoft says our good old Skype is about to die since this new
beast-thing can be installed on Windows lower than ten (I did install
it on a Windows 7 PC).
I think we need to discuss it thoroughly here and probably write to
Microsoft and to ask them to do something with it: either not to
discontinue the good old Skype we love or to provide us with an API
that would allow us to develop our own client with basic functionality
like audio calls, IM and file sending/receiving.
If you have read this far, thank you very much for your attention.

--
With best regards from Ukraine,
Andre

Sarah k Alawami

I know someone running the preview. It sucks, and I'm very worried that once I get the update to me I'm going to hate it. Has anyone contacted microsoft aregarding this as I might be out of a job if I cannot use skype at all as that's how I teach my classes.

Take care and be blessed.

On Aug 31, 2017, at 4:25 PM, Andre Polykanine <andre@oire.org> wrote:

[...]

Shaun Oliver

near as I can figure, you can still get the desktop app.

I'm not overly fond of the new interface either. it to my mind is very messy and cluttered.

It's geared primarily more towards tablet use and just don't feel right to me.

On 1/09/2017 09:13, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
[...]

Octavian Rasnita

Does anyone know if Microsoft has an email address or a web page where we can complain about this change?
If the new Skype would be considered good for Windows 7, the classic Skype might disappear much time before the support for Windows 7 ends.

--Octavian

[...]

I'm not in the insider program for skype, but if anyone is, maybe try contacting them there, and leaving feedback? I don't think this will help but it might be a step in the right direction

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andre Polykanine" <andre@...>
[...]

Jerry Pryde

Don't waste your time contacting microsoft, especially via email.
They don't reply, and they don't care.

[...]

Well, I contacted Microsoft's tech support for OneDrive a few weeks ago, and they answered and were very nice.
OneDrive is paid and Skype is not, but the cost for OneDrive is pretty cheap, so I don't think that cost made them be so nice. :-)

You may be right that they don't care and that they won't answer, but it doesn't matter if they answer or not. We don't need their answer. We need to make them care, and if more blind people will start complaining, they might be thinking that this is a problem and they might start caring.

--Octavian

[...]

Well, in that case, let's bombard them with concerns about skype and accessability.
you might be right, Octavian.
If enough of us give them a mygrane, it might work.
Jerry.

[...]

inam din

Dear friends,

Today I’m very sad because today I installed Skype preview for desktop but it didn’t recognize my Skype ID:

Charlsdarwin1.

instead off that,  I was forced to give it my Microsoft ID.

The matter of concern for me is that I like my Skype ID:

Charlsdarwin1 very much and in case of using Skype preview I must forget my Skype ID forever and will have to use my Microsoft account!

It’s very sad and very bad.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power
then the world know what is peace!
add me on my Skype ID:
charlsdarwin1
meet me on my facebook:
www.facebook.com/inamuddin786
follow me on my twitter ID:
www.twitter.com/charlsdarwin1
call me on my cell phones:

> Don't waste your time contacting microsoft, especially via email.
> They don't reply, and they don't care.

Yep. But where to send the bombs? :)

--Octavian

[...]

Tom Kaufman

I don't know if my post went through or not, so am just replying to this
post here: Microsoft has a disability number that you might want to try;
that number is: 1-800-936-5900.
Tom Kaufman

[...]

Thanks, Tom.
I actually forgot about that, and have it in my skype out contacts.
Most 800 numbers work on skype.

[...]

Lino Morales <linomorales001@...>

This is lovely. Well if we all worldwide can be proactive we need to make Skype for WIN 10, IOS, and the Android app work well with accessibility in mind we may get some within the walls of Redmon to listen that would be awesome sauce!

On 8/31/2017 7:25 PM, Andre Polykanine wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't use complain. I would offer feedback. I would mention what is not accessible in the new Skype Preview.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andre Polykanine" <andre@oire.org>
[...]

Boy how I love people being negative. Not. Seriously if you all including myself in the blind and disabled community worldwide want anything accessible and yes Skype we might get somewhere if we send them feedback. With this type of tude as Jerry has presented we'll get nowhere. I've said enough.

On 9/1/2017 7:16 AM, Jerry Pryde wrote:
[...]

Actually Jerry has a point. I've contcted them about skype for years now and they don't respond, not via email, forum, their blog or twitter, yet they will respond and help us with our xboxes and windows machines. But yeah let's all try  and contct them anyway and see what happens. The preview for mac really sucks major and I will be out of a job if they don't fix it soon ish..

Take care

On Sep 1, 2017, at 4:30 PM, Lino Morales <linomorales001@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi all.
I’m not sure I explained myself clearly, so here it is, just in case.
I actually went to the skype site, found their feedback page, and sent an email about a problem I was having, complete with JAWS information.
I got an auto reply, saying it was an unmonitored account.
So, they’ve set up an email account for feedback, or tech support, and it’s not monitored.
Maybe the Microsoft disability line could be useful.
1-800-935-5900.
Otherwise, I’m wondering how to contact them effectively.

Jerry.

[...]

Jerry:  That disability is actually 1-800-936-5900 (you had a “5” instead of a “6)…but yes…give it a try and hopefully they’ll listen and maybe help out!

Tom Kaufman

[...]

Tom:
Thanks for correcting my typo.
Well done. let’s see what happens.

[...]