Topics

Skype 8.x electron and message, "Skype cannot be used for emergency calling"


Michele Barbi
 

Hi guys,

someone recently asked me if there is a way to prevent screen readers from telling this message when opening Skype. I sincerely did not give importance to this, I think it only means we cannot use Skype for calling, say, 911 in the USA; am I wronhg? And most of all, what can you answer to my friend asking the above question?

Bye!

Barbuz


Sarah k Alawami
 

It means what it says. Skype cannot be used to call 911, and no there is no way to turn it off, I'm glad of that for those of us that want to, or have to try.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.
For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go here.
and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 21 Jul 2019, at 13:00, Michele Barbi wrote:

Hi guys,

someone recently asked me if there is a way to prevent screen readers from telling this message when opening Skype. I sincerely did not give importance to this, I think it only means we cannot use Skype for calling, say, 911 in the USA; am I wronhg? And most of all, what can you answer to my friend asking the above question?

Bye!

Barbuz


Michele Barbi
 

Thank you very much Sarha.

Bye!

Barbuz


Michele Barbi
 

HMMM...

Thank you very much Sarah for your response, and f*ck my fast typing which makes me do spelling errors!..

Bye!

Barbuz


Sarah k Alawami
 

No problems. I have keys falling off of my keybord so typingis much harder for me now.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.
For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go here.
and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 21 Jul 2019, at 15:10, Michele Barbi wrote:

HMMM...

Thank you very much Sarah for your response, and f*ck my fast typing which makes me do spelling errors!..

Bye!

Barbuz


Brian K. Lingard
 

Dear Michelle & List:

I believe the message is hard coded for good reason.

 

Have not asked British subjects if Skype can be used to call 999 in the UK and Ulster or 112, 113 or 114, the numbers for Police, Fire or Ambulance in the rest of the world without influence from the UK, USA etc.

 

When setting up cell towers, there is an option to have them accept calls to 112 as well as 911. For several years, Siri knew 112 but not 911. My friend in NYC said no idea who 112 will connect you to. I said if the phone rings foreign style, tell whoever you have reached what you want, where and if they ask if you are in New York, Yorkshire, say no, the one with Kennedy International airport! Give them a minute to call your 911 or type the message on their TELEX and expect to hear the reassuring sound of responding sirens responding from 30-blocks away in a minute or two.

Cops give misdirected reports from other police officers priority response.

Not sure if European/Asian/Australian cell towers accept calls to 911.

Brian K. Lingard

 

From: main@skypeenglish.groups.io <main@skypeenglish.groups.io> On Behalf of Michele Barbi
Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2019 4:01 PM
To: Skypeenglish list <skypeenglish@groups.io>
Subject: [skypeenglish] Skype 8.x electron and message, "Skype cannot be used for emergency calling"

 

Hi guys,

someone recently asked me if there is a way to prevent screen readers from telling this message when opening Skype. I sincerely did not give importance to this, I think it only means we cannot use Skype for calling, say, 911 in the USA; am I wrong? And most of all, what can you answer to my friend asking the above question?

Bye!

Barbuz


Jerry Pryde
 

Skype isn't for emergency calling anywhere.

I've had the same notice here in Canada.

On 2019-07-22 8:10 a.m., Brian K. Lingard wrote:

Dear Michelle & List:

I believe the message is hard coded for good reason.

 

Have not asked British subjects if Skype can be used to call 999 in the UK and Ulster or 112, 113 or 114, the numbers for Police, Fire or Ambulance in the rest of the world without influence from the UK, USA etc.

 

When setting up cell towers, there is an option to have them accept calls to 112 as well as 911. For several years, Siri knew 112 but not 911. My friend in NYC said no idea who 112 will connect you to. I said if the phone rings foreign style, tell whoever you have reached what you want, where and if they ask if you are in New York, Yorkshire, say no, the one with Kennedy International airport! Give them a minute to call your 911 or type the message on their TELEX and expect to hear the reassuring sound of responding sirens responding from 30-blocks away in a minute or two.

Cops give misdirected reports from other police officers priority response.

Not sure if European/Asian/Australian cell towers accept calls to 911.

Brian K. Lingard

 

From: main@skypeenglish.groups.io <main@skypeenglish.groups.io> On Behalf of Michele Barbi
Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2019 4:01 PM
To: Skypeenglish list <skypeenglish@groups.io>
Subject: [skypeenglish] Skype 8.x electron and message, "Skype cannot be used for emergency calling"

 

Hi guys,

someone recently asked me if there is a way to prevent screen readers from telling this message when opening Skype. I sincerely did not give importance to this, I think it only means we cannot use Skype for calling, say, 911 in the USA; am I wrong? And most of all, what can you answer to my friend asking the above question?

Bye!

Barbuz


Michele Barbi
 

Well I just mentioned 911 just as an example since I though many list members where american. Thanks anyway for your responses.

Bye!

Barbuz