Topics

A Very Bad News

inam din

Respected friends, today I’d like to share with you a very bad news specially for those who are using Skype 7.

According to Skype support, Skype classic will be retired on September first 2018 here is a tweet from Skype support:

Skype Support,  @sean_t_ellis Hi. Good day. You are right, Skype Classic (version 7.x) will be retired on 1st of September 2018. Is there anything that you would like to bring up or share? an hour ago,  Sprinklr Prod1

Inamuddin.ronaque@...

Add my Skype ID:
charlsdarwin1
Meet me on facebook:
www.facebook.com/inamuddin786

Follow me on my twitter ID:
www.twitter.com/charlsdarwin1

Call me on my cell numbers:

Wait, I’m now very confused. they said they would not do this and now they back tracked, again? Why am I not surprised!

On 30 Aug 2018, at 11:08, inam din wrote:

Respected friends, today I’d like to share with you a very bad news specially for those who are using Skype 7.

According to Skype support, Skype classic will be retired on September first 2018 here is a tweet from Skype support:

Skype Support,  @sean_t_ellis Hi. Good day. You are right, Skype Classic (version 7.x) will be retired on 1st of September 2018. Is there anything that you would like to bring up or share? an hour ago,  Sprinklr Prod1

Inamuddin.ronaque@...

Add my Skype ID:
charlsdarwin1
Meet me on facebook:
www.facebook.com/inamuddin786

Follow me on my twitter ID:
www.twitter.com/charlsdarwin1

Call me on my cell numbers:

This is all coming from a tweet. I tweeted back asking for verification as to whether that tweet represents old and outdated info or an actual policy change. I'll report when I know more.

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 11:31:32AM -0700, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Wait, I'm now very confused. they said they would not do this and now
they back tracked, again? Why am I not surprised!

On 30 Aug 2018, at 11:08, inam din wrote:

Respected friends, today I'd like to share with you a very bad news
specially for those who are using Skype 7.

According to Skype support, Skype classic will be retired on September
first 2018 here is a tweet from Skype support:

Skype Support, @sean_t_ellis Hi. Good day. You are right, Skype
Classic (version 7.x) will be retired on 1st of September 2018. Is
there anything that you would like to bring up or share? an hour ago,
Sprinklr Prod1

[1]inamuddin09@...

[2]Inamuddin.ronaque@...

outlook:
[3]inam092@...

yahoo:
[4]inamuddin2010@...

Add my Skype ID:
charlsdarwin1
Meet me on facebook:
[5]www.facebook.com/inamuddin786

Follow me on my twitter ID:
[6]www.twitter.com/charlsdarwin1

Call me on my cell numbers:

1. mailto:inamuddin09@...
2. mailto:Inamuddin.ronaque@...
3. mailto:inam092@...
4. mailto:inamuddin2010@...
5. http://www.facebook.com/inamuddin786
6. http://www.twitter.com/charlsdarwin1
8. mailto:skypeenglish@groups.io?subject=Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bskypeenglish%5D%20A%20Very%20Bad%20News
9. mailto:marrie12@...?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bskypeenglish%5D%20A%20Very%20Bad%20News

Time is the friend of one who is true, and the enemy of one who isn't.
(02/05/2010)

Sarah k Alawami

Thanks. Yeah I’m very curious as to why they reneged on the statement that they said that it would ot die for some time.

Doug Lee dgl@...
http://www.dlee.org
Level Access doug.lee@...
http://www.LevelAccess.com
Time is the friend of one who is true, and the enemy of one who isn't.
(02/05/2010)

Shaun Oliver

this does not surprise me either.

On 31/08/2018 04:01, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[...]

James Malone

I thought Microsoft was going to extend the sky classic. What happened?

On Aug 30, 2018, at 11:08 AM, inam din <inam092@...> wrote:

Respected friends, today I’d like to share with you a very bad news specially for those who are using Skype 7.

According to Skype support, Skype classic will be retired on September first 2018 here is a tweet from Skype support:

Skype Support,  @sean_t_ellis Hi. Good day. You are right, Skype Classic (version 7.x) will be retired on 1st of September 2018. Is there anything that you would like to bring up or share? an hour ago,  Sprinklr Prod1

Inamuddin.ronaque@...

Add my Skype ID:
charlsdarwin1
Meet me on facebook:
www.facebook.com/inamuddin786

Follow me on my twitter ID:
www.twitter.com/charlsdarwin1

Call me on my cell numbers:

James Malone

This would be a good question for the disability help desk

Mike DeZinno

Good evening all,
I thought this topic of Skype 7 going away September 1st was debunked as a roomer,  and the April 2019 target date was still in place?

But in any case, from the conversations we have seen hear in our group, Skype 8. is workable as a valid upgrade with only a few minor glitches.

Either way I've been planning to up grade this weekend since Skype 7 is going away anyhow eventually I don't see the wisdom in putting off the inevitable until April next year when we all would be forced into the change anyway.

Between Doug Lee's advice and what we share openly between all our capable members this is just another one of those transitions we go through from time to time until we get to the other  side an put all our concerns behind us.

If I may share a little personal experience;
I first came into the world of screen readers back in 1987 when all we had was external speech boxes running on DOS 2.0. LOL
When DOS was going away they were telling all of us in the blind community to buy up all the latest versions of any DOS software we could get because the blind will never be able to use windows with its GuI interface of all pictures and graphics.

Well in hind sight we all know what nonsense  that turned out to be.

I rely upon Skype for earning a living and my global communications and don't look forward to the learning curve and the hours or days of inventing new work-arounds for all the tasks I must accomplish each day;  But if change is coming then I must be willing to embrace that change along with the rest of the world.

If we all continue to communicate and share our discoveries we will all be ok in the end.

For those of us here in the USA, have a happy and safe Labor Day Weekend,
For our members outside the States, have a blessed weekend also,

Mike from SC

also  At 04:48 PM 8/30/2018, you wrote:

This would be a good question for the disability help desk

inam din

Dear friends, until today I have been using Skype 8 but after a tweet from Skype support, I have uninstalled Skype 8 and installed Skype 7 in order to know what will happen with me on September 2018 which will be tomorrow!

At the moment I’m on 9 30 am on Friday August 31st 2018.

I think that Microsoft will allow us to sign Skype 7 until April 2019.

I’m using Skype classic in order to experience the actual policy of Microsoft in this regard!

As far rumour is concern, no it is not rumor at least more than one tweet from Skype support confirming that Microsoft will no longer support Skype classic after September first 2018.

[...]

Ted Galanos

Well said

Ted Galanos

Audio Technician for "The Blind Perspective" Newsletter.

Skype: tedster1.

Facebook: Coming Soon.

Twitter: @TedGalanos

Email: Teddy@...

Please read my story and consider donating to my Go Fund Me account at:

https://www.gofundme.com/Lift-Equipped-Wheelchair-Van/

or my ABLE account for “Achieving a Better Life Experience” at:

https://www.ablegifting.com/TX/K9L8A2

Contributions can also be made with a check made payable to the “Texas ABLE Program” and mailed to the Texas ABLE Program, PO Box 44035, Jacksonville, FL 32231. My name and my Texas ABLE Program Account number should be included in the memo field of the check. My account number is 8900000590.

Thank You and God bless!

“Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” - Hebrews 11:1

[...]

Octavian Rasnita

"I don't see the wisdom in putting off the inevitable until April next year when we all would be forced into the change anyway.".

We also know that we will die someday, so based on the same wisdom, probably it doesn't worth to postpone that inevitable moment. :)

--Octavian

[...]

It seams that Microsoft gave go ahead silently maybe until April 2019 because even after September first Skype classic is still working for me.

It is another thing that whenever I try to sign in to Skype, it asks me to update and I use to say no to update it!

[...]

Stephen Troy

Agreed the update message no longer appears when you launch skype but I don’t see any mileage  out of speculating whether skype 7 will be around until April, July or whenever. Probably better to just accept it’s going to be discontinued and await  microsoft’s next deadline day.

[...]

Good morning All,
If I read the MS public notice correctly they never said Skype 7 was going away on Sept 1.
They more clearly said they will no longer support it.
That doesn't mean it will grind to a halt and stop working it just means don't go to them with questions about it.
Remember they stopped "Supporting" XP years ago but our old XP machines still work.

Regarding the upgrade message that comes up during Skype 7 cessions, I learned to just ignore it and what I did was to hit "CTRL 2" key combo and go right to my new messages or what ever function I wished to use.

One just has to be careful that you always be sure you are not on the update screen or you could accidently start the downloading process of Skype 8.

Even then it's not the end of the world you can cancel out of  the process fairly easily and stop it from happening.

When I read the helpful responses here in the group to those of us who are having problems I'm very much put at ease that what ever I or anyone else runs into Doug Lee and others here will come up with a fix for it.

All stay well,
Mike in SC

At 12:59 PM 9/3/2018, you wrote:
[...]

John Holcomb II

There will probably be a point when MS will stop letting users of older Skype Versions connect to the server.

Until that happens, there is no  reason why everybody can’t use Skype 7.

[...]

Well, lookslike the support person made a mistake, or this is some
kind of prink, I'd love to believe the former. Anyway it is now
09-04-2018 and skype classic according to my twittervillions is still
working. So we'll see what happened. I'm surprised that no one got an
answer back from Skype support regarding this tweet. Did no one reply
to said tweet at all?

Take care and have a happy tuesday.

At 12:59 PM 9/3/2018, you wrote:

It seams that Microsoft gave go ahead silently maybe until April 2019
because even after September first Skype classic is still working for me.
It is another thing that whenever I try to sign in to Skype, it asks me to
update and I use to say no to update it!

inamuddin09@... <mailto:inamuddin09@...>
Inamuddin.ronaque@... <mailto:Inamuddin.ronaque@...>
outlook:
inam092@... <mailto:inam092@...>
yahoo:
inamuddin2010@... <mailto:inamuddin2010@...>
Add my Skype ID:
charlsdarwin1
Meet me on facebook:
www.facebook.com/inamuddin786 <http://www.facebook.com/inamuddin786>
Follow me on my twitter ID:
www.twitter.com/charlsdarwin1 <http://www.twitter.com/charlsdarwin1>
Call me on my cell numbers:

_____

Email: Teddy@... <mailto:Teddy@...>

Please read my story and consider donating to my Go Fund Me account at:

https://www.gofundme.com/Lift-Equipped-Wheelchair-Van/
<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gofun
dme.com%2FLift-Equipped-Wheelchair-Van%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7C2843a8a9dbb24172
342c08d611587bfc%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C63671546906216
4444&sdata=UV6ffgKROmYYWUwjgJCqE1s0b8PNPnNgVBILzhtytB4%3D&reserved=0>

or my ABLE account for "Achieving a Better Life Experience" at:

https://www.ablegifting.com/TX/K9L8A2
<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ableg
ifting.com%2FTX%2FK9L8A2&data=02%7C01%7C%7C2843a8a9dbb24172342c08d611587bfc%
7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636715469062164444&sdata=uWYUFn
R%2BLMzri5BSPzSOwRDmrgWixA46BcqL7KEylB0%3D&reserved=0>