From: skypeenglish@groups.io [mailto:skypeenglish@groups.io] On Behalf Of Pete via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 1:17 PM
To: skypeenglish@groups.io
Subject: [skypeenglish] Quitting Skype 8

Hello all,

I have just upgraded from the classic desktop Skype 7 to Skype 8 on my machine running Windows 10 and the latest JAWS and Doug’s latest script, Revision 39.

In previous versions I could quit without signing out from the Skype menu in system tray, now when I go to system tray, Skype is there but the menu appears impossible to navigate, nothing is announced when cursor or tab keys are pressed, however when I press insert+b, a set of options is announced, the last of these being quit, so it seems that a sighted person can click here to quit Skype, does anyone know if it is possible to quit Skype with a screen reader?

Regards,

Pete H.

I don’t think skyep will lose customers, now that you can also  use skype for web. I’ve also used it in my jobs and I don’t care for it but it works in a pinch..

As for quitting skype try tht and see if that works. If it does not just clise it and put it in the system try and set yourself to inactive or sign out.

On Jul 18, 2018, at 11:04 AM, Mike Bernard via Groups.Io <mbern6516@...> wrote:

Pete,

Although I don’t use skype 8, I’ve found that you can quit by going to the toolbar in skype itself, and arrowing down to the sign out option. You’ll find this under the skype menu. I just hope that microsoft realizes that they are likely to lose customers over the massive drastic changes in skype. Sometimes I think they care more about their pockets and getting rich, rather than making things user-friendly for their customers.

Mike

I have just upgraded from the classic desktop Skype 7 to Skype 8 on my machine running Windows 10 and the latest JAWS and Doug’s latest script, Revision 39.

In previous versions I could quit without signing out from the Skype menu in system tray, now when I go to system tray, Skype is there but the menu appears impossible to navigate, nothing is announced when cursor or tab keys are pressed, however when I press insert+b, a set of options is announced, the last of these being quit, so it seems that a sighted person can click here to quit Skype, does anyone know if it is possible to quit Skype with a screen reader?

Regards,

Pete H.

Ctrl+Q quits Skype 8 instantly. The systray menu that pops up does not take focus and does not indicate to screen readers which item is selected, according to my tests.

<[1]mbern6516@...> wrote:

[...]

Visible links
1. mailto:mbern6516@...
2. mailto:skypeenglish@groups.io
3. mailto:skypeenglish@groups.io
4. mailto:skypeenglish@groups.io
7. mailto:skypeenglish@groups.io?subject=Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bskypeenglish%5D%20Quitting%20Skype%208
8. mailto:marrie12@...?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bskypeenglish%5D%20Quitting%20Skype%208

Hidden links:
17. x-msg://20/#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2

"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then...find
the way." - Abraham Lincoln

Sarah k Alawami

Ah, so need to use the tool bar or menu? I’ll have to try this the next time on skype for windows 10, if that is even skype 8. It’s all confusing. Right now I just leave it running and hpe I’m not annoyed by all the notifications I get. Lol! I’ll keep this tip burned on to my mental desktop

  6. https://groups.io/g/skypeenglish/message/2716
  9. https://groups.io/mt/23673258/409874
 10. https://groups.io/g/skypeenglish/post
 11. http://www.dlee.org/skype/
 12. https://groups.io/g/skypeenglish/editsub/409874
 13. mailto:skypeenglish+owner@groups.io
 14. https://groups.io/g/skypeenglish/leave/defanged

--
Doug Lee                 dgl@...                http://www.dlee.org
Level Access             doug.lee@...    http://www.LevelAccess.com
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then...find
the way." - Abraham Lincoln

Joseph Machise <josephmachise@...>

dug had trouble with the control +q I had to left click on the skype in the tray then use control+q

[...]

Pete

Many thanks Doug, that works for me, I followed the link from your page to the list of hotkeys on Microsoft's site, and although it said at the top that one could quit easily, that hotkey was not mentioned on the list, obviously from other replies on this list I was not the only user who was unaware of it.

[...]

Doug Lee

Ctrl+Q works from inside the Skype window but not from within other applications.

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 02:56:50PM -0400, Joseph Machise wrote:
[...]

5.
7.
mailto:skypeenglish@groups.io?subject=Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bskypeenglish%5D%20Quitting%20Skype%208
8.
mailto:marrie12@...?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bskypeenglish%5D%20Quitting%20Skype%208

Hidden links:
16.
17. x-msg://20/#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2

Level Access doug.lee@...
http://www.LevelAccess.com
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then...find
the way." - Abraham Lincoln

"While they were saying among themselves it cannot be done, it was
done." --Helen Keller

Joseph Machise <josephmachise@...>

thanks

[...]

Shaun Oliver

yes, use your jaws cursor

On 19/07/2018 02:47, Pete via Groups.Io wrote:
Hello all,

I have just upgraded from the classic desktop Skype 7 to Skype 8 on my machine running Windows 10 and the latest JAWS and Doug’s latest script, Revision 39.

In previous versions I could quit without signing out from the Skype menu in system tray, now when I go to system tray, Skype is there but the menu appears impossible to navigate, nothing is announced when cursor or tab keys are pressed, however when I press insert+b, a set of options is announced, the last of these being quit, so it seems that a sighted person can click here to quit Skype, does anyone know if it is possible to quit Skype with a screen reader?

Regards,

Pete H.

Shaun Oliver

I've found that object navigation with NVDA works fine, however with JAWS, you may need to use the JAWS cursor.

but, thanks for the tip with CTRL+Q