Topics

Answers regarding Windows Skype

Doug Lee

Microsoft's announcement of the September 1 discontinuation of Skype 7 (Classic) has brought us quite a bit of traffic on this list. Here are some hopefully helpful bits of info:

Will Skype 7 (Classic) work after September 1 if you download it now? Microsoft says no. They are not just saying they're no longer going to support it; they're saying it will not work after that date. Time will tell, but
that's the official word.

Which Skype should we use then? I now say Skype 8, because Microsoft has begun offering it to everyone, even Windows 10 users. Skype UWP for Windows 10 is still supported though.

Did I once say I thought Skype 8 would soon die? Possibly; I predicted Skype UWP would become the preferred Skype version. As of now though, I believe Skype 8 will become the preferred version. Again, time will tell.

Are there JAWS scripts for Skype 8? Yes, at http://www.dlee.org/skype/electron/ - and I just updated them before sending this email. See the site I just gave for details on what changed.

Is there an NVDA add-on for Skype 8? Yes, at http://www.dlee.org/skype/electron/skype.nvda-addon

Is there a list of keyboard shortcuts for Skype 8? Yes, at https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12025/what-are-hotkeys-and-how-do-i-use-them-in-skype

Will Clisk work with Skype 8? No. The API required by Clisk is no longer supported at all in Skype 8 or Skype UWP. (For those who don't know, Clisk, the Command Line Interface for Skype, is a Python-based application I've
maintained for many years.) This end-of-life for that API is no surprise and was in fact delayed for several years beyond initial expectations.

I wish everyone well in this transition, and I hope my scripting and add-on work is helpful.

"I before E, except after C, or when sounded like A, as in neighbor
and weigh, except for when weird foreign concierges seize neither
leisure nor science from the height of society."

Michele Barbi

Many thanks for these infos Doug, I think they're useful for everyone. Mostly I did not expect Skype 8.x to be compatible with Windows 10, I knew it only worked with Windows 7 and 8.
Now a question for those who can help. Opening the link for the Skype 8 scripts, and the manual afterwards, I read this on the system requirements section:
"These scripts require JAWS 17.0 or greater. (JAWS versions prior to 17.0 do not support web site specific scripts, and Skype 8 runs inside a Google Chrome window.)"
I didn't install Google chrome in my desktop machine, I am running Firefox instead. Will this cause any kind of problems when using Skype 8?

Which browser you use or have installed will not affect Skype 8. Skype 8 is an Electron app, and Electron is basically web content in a Chrome control that does not run inside an actual browser.

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 02:28:02PM +0200, Michele Barbi wrote:
Many thanks for these infos Doug, I think they're useful for everyone. Mostly
I did not expect Skype 8.x to be compatible with Windows 10, I knew it only
worked with Windows 7 and 8.
Now a question for those who can help. Opening the link for the Skype 8
scripts, and the manual afterwards, I read this on the system requirements
section:
"These scripts require JAWS 17.0 or greater. (JAWS versions prior to 17.0 do
not support web site specific scripts, and Skype 8 runs inside a Google Chrome
window.)"
I didn't install Google chrome in my desktop machine, I am running Firefox
instead. Will this cause any kind of problems when using Skype 8?

The effect of putting your foot down is a bit hard to predict! (04/04/2012)

Joseph Machise <josephmachise@...>

dug, is it possible, that someone will make another program like GW, you no we should talk to microsoft about this maybe we should go to these consumer organizations,it doesn't matter how hard you try dug, it just doesn't work, please except my input from Joseph.

[...]

I am not aware of a way to create an app like that at this time. I also don't consider it either necessary or wise, though: I consider it unnecessary because Microsoft is working on making this Skype accessible. I consider it
unwise because (1) it could reduce Microsoft's incentive to do that, and (2) the new app would very likely have trouble keeping in sync with new features of the Microsoft offerings as they become available.

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 09:40:32AM -0400, Joseph Machise wrote:
[...]

Level Access doug.lee@...
http://www.LevelAccess.com
pedal:
The effect of putting your foot down is a bit hard to predict!
(04/04/2012)

"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them
to choose from." -- Andrew Tanenbaum

Mich Verrier

Hi Dug and all. I just installd the skype scrips ad well as skype 8. I am
wondering how do you end a call? Also how do you get to the options for
setting the keystrokes like in skype 7? Or is there a way to do this in
skype 8? Many thanks. From Mich.

[...]

I find it hard to except that microsoft is going to make skype accessible

[...]

Ok Doug, thanks for your explanation. I was afraid of some issues since I read about Chrome, but now I realized my worries have no basics.

Shaun Oliver

I agree with doug's answer on this matter, because it should be part of the remit of the software vendors to strive to insure their apps are accessible, and not up to a blindness organisation who in real terms is only in it for the holy dollar to get more of our hard earned just to give us access to an app we can already get for free in the first place. we should not have to pay through our hind ends for the right to be able to use someone's app.

On 17/07/2018 23:38, Doug Lee wrote:
[...]

cecropia64

That, unfortunately, is the name of the game when it comes to anything dealing with disabilities and accessibility.  Those of them that can get those of us who can't and get us royally. Should be as simple as people caring for each other.  But it doesn't seem to be like that.

On 7/17/2018 11:20 AM, Shaun Oliver wrote:
[...]

Doug Lee                 dgl@... http://www.dlee.org
Level Access             doug.lee@...
http://www.LevelAccess.com
pedal:
The effect of putting your foot down is a bit hard to predict!
(04/04/2012)

Mike DeZinno

Doug thanks for your response,
I agree with your reasons and gladly defer to your greater wisdom.
Mike, in SC

--
Doug Lee                 dgl@...                http://www.dlee.org
Level Access             doug.lee@...    http://www.LevelAccess.com
"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them
to choose from." -- Andrew Tanenbaum

James Malone

Hi Doug, can you just do a upgrade from Skype classic to Skype 8? If not, do
you have the download link to download, and install it?
James

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

I agree. And what are these blindo organization going to do? Nothing. It is upto microsoft and only microsoft. Not the blindo organizations that don’t really accomplish much in terms of accessibility and software in my humble opinion. So yeah contact microp and see if  you can submit feedback. Idid and the mac client is much much better.

On Jul 17, 2018, at 8:20 AM, Shaun Oliver <blindman75@...> wrote:

[...]

Larry Gassman

Hi Doug,
My memory is that at one time we could still use Skype for Windows 10 and Windows Clasic cuncurrently on the same machine. Obviously after September 1, this will not be possible.
But I believe you also said that we could not use Windows Clasic and Windows 8 on the same machine.
So unless we have an executable file for Windows Clasic, we need to be careful up until September 1 if we go to Skype for Windows 8.
I haven't used Skype for Windows 8 at all, so I guess it is time to explore that avenue as well.
And Doug, Thanks for your hard work.
Larry

At 03:53 AM 7/17/2018, Doug Lee wrote:
[...]

John Gassman

I firmly believe that these attempts to create apps for the blind when the mainstream ones are not as accessible as they should be is wrong.
We should be working to help make these apps completely accessible. It is not easy but, in doing so, we're far better off than settling for a skype blindness substitute.
John
At 07:08 AM 7/17/2018, you wrote:
[...]

JAWS Certified, 2014.

John Gassman

Joseph,
I don't think you'd say that if you'd been to CSUN and some of the other conventions where Microsoft was present.
they have done a complete change in attitude and vision.
they have a huge accessibility department and we had close to one hundred of them at CSUN this year.
I don't know how long it will take them but they will improve skype.
Long time friend Jeff Bishop who now works for Microsoft and Narrator told me the same thing. They do not like the fact that problems with accessibility are taking place with skype and they have vowed to fix it.
When? I don't know how long it will take but based on their accessibility commitment, I believe that they will succeed.
John
----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Lee" <dgl@...>

[...]

Lino Morales

I agree John. Why do you think I mentioned about posting on the Feedback Hub if you have WIN 10. It’s a new MS. They do read those feedback posts folks. So if you want Skype or any of the apps MS makes make good use of it. If you stuck in WIN 7 land I don’t have any contact INFO to give you all.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

At 07:08 AM 7/17/2018, you wrote:
>I am not aware of a way to create an app like that at this time. I
>also don't consider it either necessary or wise, though: I consider
>it unnecessary because Microsoft is working on making this Skype
>accessible. I consider it
>unwise because (1) it could reduce Microsoft's incentive to do that,
>and (2) the new app would very likely have trouble keeping in sync
>with new features of the Microsoft offerings as they become available.
>
>On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 09:40:32AM -0400, Joseph Machise wrote:
>dug, is it possible, that someone will make another program like GW, you no
>we should talk to microsoft about this maybe we should go to these consumer
>organizations,it doesn't matter how hard you try dug, it just doesn't work,
>please except my input from Joseph.

Octavian Rasnita

"I don't know how long it will take them but they will improve skype.".
"When? I don't know how long it will take but based on their accessibility commitment, I believe that they will succeed."

There is a saying that says that on long term we will be all dead. :-)

Of course that the most important thing is the accessibility, because without it, the blind are totally discriminated and marginalized.
The so called usability is less important, however it does the same thing, but not so bad.

The truth is that even on long term, Windows XP was less accessible/usable than Windows 2000, Windows 7 is less accessible/usable than Windows XP, Windows 10 and all new Microsoft applications with that horrible ribbon are less accessible/usable than previous versions. Now Skype follows that way and it will be in any case less accessible/usable than its classic version, no matter how many improvements will be made, because it uses a web-based interface.

And yes, I know that it is easier and much more flexible to create a web-based interface, this is why it is preferred, but this doesn't mean that we should consider it better from all points of view.

--Octavian

[...]

Jerry Pryde

I've found that, with each skype update, combined with Doug's scripts, a little playing with it, a little effort, and, of course, help from some of you on this list, I've managed to get things done.
And, the transition from XP to Win-7 wasn't as difficult as I thought.
I tend to stick to what's working, until it doesn't.
All will be well when I make the upgrade, in due time.
I'm a little nervous, but I think I'll be OK.
Jerry.