Reset command key

Negoslav Sabev

hello Doug,

Thank you for creating and maintaining the Skype scripts for all versions. I am currently testing the scrips for universal windows platform ups. I have the following problem. I have changed the command key by pressing + and OK button. Unfortunately something happened, and I am not sure what exactly, but when I am pressing this key again it is not recognized as the command key, so I cannot execute any script commands. I uninstalled and reinstalled the scripts but the key stays the same and I have no other way to reset to another key. So my question is is it possible to reset the command key and is it possible such an option to land today quick Jaws settings is in the classic Skype version?

Negoslav Sabev

Sent from my iPhone

Doug Lee

If you don't know, or can't type, your command key, you'll need to edit the skypeuwp.jcf file directly in your JAWS user folder:

Under the JAWS menu from Start, find Explore JAWS, then Explore My Settings. That will get you to the folder containing skypeuwp.jcf. On my machine, I do this by typing "explore" into the Start screen Search box, then arrowing
down to "Utilities - JAWS 2018" and pressing Enter; then pressing Enter on "Explore My JAWS."

Once in that folder, find skypeuwp.jcf and open it with Notepad, which I do via the "Open with..." dialog.

In that file, you should find a [MKCSOptions] section containing a single entry starting with CommandKey=. Change what comes after the = to indicate the key you want. Then save and close the file and switch back into Skype.
JAWS should say, "Updating command key, done." Try your new key now.

A few tips on keys - which I probably need to write up somewhere in the docs better than I did:

1. Usually if you want a shifted key, you'll need to type it out rather than just typing the key combination; for example, type shift+[ instead of {. Failure to do this tends to result in JAWS failing to recognize the key when
you type it.

2. If you want to use the caplock key, you can but must use "capslock"; example, capsLock+/.

3. If you choose a key combination that already has a JAWS script assigned, your choice will override JAWS; for example, specifying capsLock+[ will defeat the JAWS laptop-layout RouteJAWSToPC keystroke.

Best of luck.

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 07:47:52PM +0200, Negoslav Sabev wrote:

hello Doug,

Thank you for creating and maintaining the Skype scripts for all versions. I am currently testing the scrips for universal windows platform ups. I have the following problem. I have changed the command key by pressing + and OK button. Unfortunately something happened, and I am not sure what exactly, but when I am pressing this key again it is not recognized as the command key, so I cannot execute any script commands. I uninstalled and reinstalled the scripts but the key stays the same and I have no other way to reset to another key. So my question is is it possible to reset the command key and is it possible such an option to land today quick Jaws settings is in the classic Skype version?

Negoslav Sabev

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both
incisive and probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by
dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper." --Rod Serling

Negoslav Sabev

Thank you! Great and clear instructions. It’s all done as I wanted.

Negoslav Sabev