Re: Jaws losing focus with Skype for Business 2015 running

Doug Lee

I actually spent a fairly significant amount of time arranging the scripts for this application into three branches, all of which can be found at https://www.dlee.org/sfb/

I don't have a way to test older versions, so my idea of what should be in the older two of those may be off a bit; but if either of the last two branches on that page help you, please let me know.

I admit, though, this issue you're having is reminiscent to me of a general issue I've been seeing in several applications. Off the top of my head, they include Skype UWP (the Windows 10 alternative to Skype for Windows
Desktop) and Unigram (a Windows Telegram client that is more accessible than the native Telegram client on Windows).

The general issue I've seen is that certain types of events that cause a system tray alert to appear can also confuse JAWS' idea of which application has focus. I wonder if this is a JAWS issue because I'm not aware of it
occurring under NVDA; but I could be wrong there. I regard the acid test for this issue to be pretty clear: If you Alt+Tab twice, you should land back in the same app that had focus in the first place according to Windows,
right? So when this issue occurs and you Alt+Tab twice, you land back in the app you were working in, not the one that generated the systray alert and confused JAWS' idea of focus.

Let me know if any of the SFB/Lync script versions help you. Also I recommend contacting Freedom/Vispero if the issue is not addressed by those; and I honestly suspect that no script will currently fix this one. Sometimes
though, I would love to be wrong. :-)

On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 05:50:17AM +0000, Francois Jacobs via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi list

I thought perhaps my vacation leave would take care of the problem but obviously not.
The email trail is below, but in brief I need to have a group conversation open for the duration of my work shift. Each time a team member posts something to this team chat Jaws loses focus of the application I was last working on. A good example of that is that I might be navigating a Word document in the Quick Keys review mode (jaws-z) when the SFB message comes in. Jaws now thinks we're in the SFB application and the quick keys mode in Word is no longer active.
In case it helps, when the SFB message comes in, pressing Jaws-t to read the widow title Jaws announces Skype for Business.
However, pressing Jaws-q to check which scripts are running Jaws would still announce the scripts name for the application I am actually focused on.
I would appreciate any help on things I can try to resolve this.

I'm running Skype for Business 2016 here at work under what looks likeWindows 8.1. Info as per the Winver command:
"Microsoft Windows
Version 6.3 (Build 9600)
© 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
The Windows 8.1 Pro operating system and its user interface are
protected by trademark and other pending or existing intellectual property
rights in the United States and other countries/regions."

The latest Jaws scripts are installed and I get the following info by pressing Jaws-q twice when SFB is in focus:
"Revision 385 Lync 2013 and Skype for Business settings are used in the lync.exe application.
The configuration name is lync."

Thanks for any help.
Francois