Early report on Skype 8.51's Split View and the Skype 8 JAWS scripts

Doug Lee

I now have Skype 8.51.0.86 running in Split View mode. I do not have the latest August update to JAWS 2019 installed yet. This message will provide information on using this new mode with my existing Skype 8 scripts, as well as
some general information on how the new view works.

First, for those who find that Insert+Q says Chrome scripts are loaded rather than Skype scripts when a chat window is in focus:

The following early suggestions are experimental and based on my brief experiments this evening and on
comments I have received from various folks.

You can try adding the following line to the [Domains] section of ConfigNames.ini in the JAWS user folder; but see notes below:

[Domains]
about:blank=skypeelectron

Doing this may cause the Skype 8 scripts to load in other places though, mostly in other web apps. This modification should not be required in JAWS 2019 as of the August update.

Then, some general information about how this view works:

When Split View mode is enabled, pressing Enter on a conversation list entry in the main Skype window opens the chat in a new window. Alt+Tab then works to switch among chats and the main Skype window. However, a new incoming
chat message will not open a new window; that will appear at the top of the Conversation list. You just have to go there to open the window for it yourself.

Hotkeys provided by Skype itself for jumping around in a conversation work in separate windows as they do in the normal view; e.g., Alt+Shift+e for moving to the Edit box.

Commands like Alt+1 for conversation list and Alt+2 for contact list only work in the Skype main window, not in chat windows. One way to jump to the main window is to Tab a few times from a conversation Edit box and press "Open
recent chats."

The rest of this message only applies to those for whom Insert+Q says that the Skype scripts are loaded. This assumes you are running revision 121 of my scripts.

The command sequences for moving to the chat edit and chat history areas should work in Split View mode just as in the normal view; e.g., [ e to jump to the edit box.

Typing indicators and announcements should also work as expected in split-view mode already, including the sequence [ t for announcing who is currently typing.

Insert+T will not say who is online, away, etc., or read mood text in a chat window, until I release a script update.

If you had to use the Index=skypeelectron and/or about:blank=skypeelectron tricks to make the scripts load, chances are that JAWSKey+v will bring up JAWS Quick Settings for Chrome rather than Quick Settings for the Skype
scripts. This is because of the way JAWS handles loading scripts for websites, as opposed to loading by application name. At this time, I suspect there is no easy way to fix that issue except by updating to the JAWS 2019 August
release.

"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them
to choose from." -- Andrew Tanenbaum