Re: an atempt to help my fellow skype users

Mike Bernard

Well I’m glad to see that there are at least some people on this list who actually appreciate my assistance. For the rest of you who feel that the old versions are gone, and that we should just put up with overly complicated software, you need to understand that not everyone is a quick study like you are. Learning new things can be difficult for some of us and we can’t all just dive head first into things like the rest of you can. Especially when it comes to software with accessability issues. The scripts are there to help yes, and that’s great, but the scripts can only go so far. It’s not that we don’t want to learn something new, it’s just that there are times when things get really difficult, sometimes there’s nothing else you can do but revert back to a prior version for the sake of accessability. We as blind people aren’t the only ones who were affected negativly by skype 8. Our sighted counterparts have difficulty with it too. Finally, for those who have installed 7.36, once installed, be sure to go into the options menu, and turn off the automatic updates option. If you aren’t familliar with this option, you can get there by doing the following.

1.       Log into skype and go to tools menu

2.       Select options

3.       Arrow down to where it says, “automatic updates” then tab once to get to the button marked turn off automatic updates. Press spacebar on this button to turn it off.

4.       Then tab to save and press spacebar and you’ll be all set.

I appologize for the long post, but I felt that I had to come forward and speak my peace and to say that I’m glad that Jerry, Mario and others have found my suggestion helpful. Yes, version 7.36 may be old, but it’s a work around for now and I too am glad that it works for us. Have a nice day everyone.

Sincerely,

Mike

From: skypeenglish@groups.io [mailto:skypeenglish@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jerry Pryde
Sent: Thursday, February 7, 2019 7:39 AM
To: skypeenglish@groups.io
Subject: Re: [skypeenglish] an atempt to help my fellow skype users

It's a good temporary measure until I can get the upgrades; just enough to keep things going normally until then.

That's really all it is for me.  I still get the notice that an update is available.  For now, I click on the Not Now option.

It's just a helpful bridge to the new version, making things almost seamless.

On 07/02/2019 7:15 a.m., Oran Morrison via Groups.Io wrote:

this old version works beautifully for me so thanks to the poster.  Oran

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 7:25 PM

Subject: Re: [skypeenglish] an atempt to help my fellow skype users

Mike your message is pointless sir. If people installed this it won’t work and will be asked to install Skype 8. So suck it up buttercup and embrace the new Skype. I did and others have without any problems.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: skypeenglish@groups.io <skypeenglish@groups.io> on behalf of Mike Bernard via Groups.Io <mbern6516@...>
Sent: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 12:56:00 AM
To: skypeenglish@groups.io
Subject: [skypeenglish] an atempt to help my fellow skype users

Hi guys,

For those of us who are just itching to revert back to a version of skype that we can use in a mannor that we’re used to, here’s a link to skype_7.36.0.101:

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AMkAH7XCF9lXEIE&cid=97BE058011017508&id=97BE058011017508%2133665&parId=97BE058011017508%2111937&action=locate

All you have to do is press enter on the above link, then navigate down the page till you see a link that says: “skype_7.36.0.101.exe  ‎Jan‎ ‎16” Press enter and you should get a window that asks you if you’d like to either run or save the file. Press enter or spacebar on the save button and download it to your computer. Then locate the file and install like normal. Be sure to remove any other versions of skype you have installed prior to doing this. If you can’t download the file for some reason, contact me off list and I’ll send you a copy of the .exe file.

Mike

P.S. When you install skype 7.36, you will not be bothered by the “Update Skype Today” message, as it bypasses it automatically.

Do you like disco? Do you like to shake your groove with New Wave, 90s Hiphop, Or today’s slammin hits? If so, check out my show every Wednesday night from 7 to 9 pm Eastern on ACB Radio Interactive at

www.acbradio.org/interactive

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Join main@skypeenglish.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.