Re: Skype 7 to 8 upgrades underway apparently

Doug Lee

I have not kept up with Skype UWP recently since by far most people seem to be going to Skype 8 instead, admittedly contrary to my early expectations. I do know that Joseph Lee's Windows 10 App Essentials covers Skype UWP well
enough for people to use it. I also believe, but have not tried to test in months, that Skype UWP is more full-featured but slower to respond than Skype 8.

On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 04:11:01PM -0800, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
I now also have the windows 10 essentials add on. I heard that skype is
integrated into that, I mean some skype support. What changes do you
know of for nvda users in regard to skype, or would I have to take this
up with Joseph who is not to my knowledge on said list.

Take care

On 7 Jan 2019, at 15:52, Doug Lee wrote:

I am hearing today that some people are being spontaneously upgraded
from Skype 7 (Classic) to Skype 8 (Electron). I believe this is on
Windows, but it would not surprise me if MacOS is also included. I
assume this is one of
those wave-by-wave Microsoft rollouts. If so, it is occurring a few
months later than Microsoft announced it would at least.
Perhaps useful resource reminders:
JAWS scripts for Skype 8 are at
[1]https://www.dlee.org/skype/electron/ These work with JAWS
versions 17 and later. (The JAWS 17 limit is imposed by older JAWS
versions not working well in general with Electron apps like Skype
8.)
A simple NVDA add-on for Skype 8 is at
[2]https://www.dlee.org/skype/electron/skype.nvda-addon
To answer one frequently-asked question before it gets asked on this
list: I did not implement Alt+numbers or Ctrl+numbers for reading
chat messages in either JAWS or NVDA because of the way the chat
history is organized in
Skype 8. In short, I am not convinced that there is a reliable way
for scripts or add-ons to announce the "last" message, because it
can at any moment happen not to be on screen due to scrolling or
message arrival without
scrolling.
My preferred way to read chat messages, in both JAWS and NVDA and
Skype 8, is to Shift+Tab from the chat input box to the message list
and then use arrows to move among messages.
Skype 7 was a wonderful app for us. I find Skype 8 usable, slim,
fast, and overall pretty efficient for my needs, though not as
feature-rich as Skype 7. Our focus will now need to be on learning
to use this newer Skype, and on
helping Microsoft improve it as necessary.
One final note, based on past message threads: Let us not diverge
from here into a discussion of the merits of Skype 7 versus 8, the
wisdom or folly of Microsoft's replacement of Skype 7, etc. That
horse is so dead the the
flies buzzed off half a year ago. :-) I instead wish for everyone
the best possible experience with Skype 8, and I plan to remain
active as necessary in addressing any issues with it that may appear
in the future.
--
Doug Lee dgl@... [3]http://www.dlee.org
Level Access doug.lee@... [4]http://www.LevelAccess.com