Re: New accessibility improvements in Skype 8.0 | Skype Blogs

Octavian Rasnita

Of course. But if we can't stop it it doesn't mean that we should pretend that it is better for us even if it is not.
The web interface is better for the sighted because is more flexible.
The web interface is worse for me exactly because it is flexible and it can appear surprises in it.

The sighted can see the whole screen at once, so even if it changed completely, they can see those changes in a fraction of a second so is not a problem for them.
The web interface can have easier added images, icons and other signs that make it much more intuitive for the sighted, while for us they are not useful at all.

In my humble opinion the accessibility for the blind decreases continuously in the last years. I don't measure it in absolute terms, because in absolute terms, probably it increased a little.
I measure it as the difference between the accessibility for the sighted and the accessibility for the blind. And the distance between these 2 things increased very much in latest years in both hardware and software.

A good and positive target would be if this distance would decrease as much as possible, not to accept that we are blind, that we are a minority and it is normal to be disadvantaged.

--Octavian

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2018 5:39 AM
Subject: Re: [skypeenglish] New accessibility improvements in Skype 8.0 | Skype Blogs

Well, the web interfaces for most apps now a days are the way app devs are doing it so in my humble opinion either change or get left behind. We are not stopping.

On 19 Nov 2018, at 13:08, Octavian Rasnita wrote:

Yes, that's true. In some cases it might be faster to navigate in the web interface, but the problem I see is that the web interface is not standard, and anytime can appear something new in that interface, advertising, a link there, a button elsewhere, so we can't memorize that we need to press tab twice and then enter and then do this fast without waiting for screen reader to speak. I prefer the interfaces that never change depending on context. For sighted it is not a problem because they can see the entire window, they can see the context very fast.

--Octavian
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 9:24 PM
Subject: Re: [skypeenglish] New accessibility improvements in Skype 8.0 | Skype Blogs

I don't mind the web inerface, in fact, I find myself navigating a lot faster in the web interface than the older interface but thats just me.

On 19 Nov 2018, at 9:49, Octavian Rasnita wrote:

Any improvement is good, but these are small improvements while bigger issues will never be solved.

The biggest issue: Skype 8 uses a web interface.
This issue might be worked around if the scripts will turn the virtual buffer off automaticly and it will use only the PC cursor, and of course, if this way Skype will be fully accessible this way.

The best news is that for the moment Skype 7 still works. Too bad that it will probably stop working soon.

--Octavian
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 7:29 PM
Subject: [skypeenglish] New accessibility improvements in Skype 8.0 | Skype Blogs

Join main@skypeenglish.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.