I can't answer that question with authority because I haven't asked anyone for details. My guess, though, is that some people prefer a virtual cursor initially because everything can be seen that way regardless of tab order.
Another possible incentive for this view is the whole-page Find feature, Ctrl+F or Ins+Ctrl+F... though I'm not sure how long that feature will survive because of Edge and an apparent trend away from granting screen readers
full and rapid access to all content at once. There are reasons for this issue, but they stray beyond the focus of this list.

On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 11:03:48PM +0200, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
Sounds good. Why are there people that don't prefer to do this? Are there
any disadvantages?
I see as the single reason for not preferring this if some content is
presented as text in the HTML document and if that text would be lost when
reading with virtual cursor off. And yes, if Skype presents some text this
way, it is a reason why I consider it bad. If it doesn't do that, it might
be acceptable.

--Octavian

----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Lee" <dgl@...>
To: <skypeenglish@groups.io>
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 8:00 PM
Subject: Re: [skypeenglish] New accessibility improvements in Skype 8.0 |
Skype Blogs

My scripts do, in fact, turn off the virtual PC cursor by default; you can
turn it back on as you wish.

Not everyone prefers this approach for Electron apps, I find; and the
stock FS scripts for Skype 8 do not do this.

On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 07:49:06PM +0200, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
Any improvement is good, but these are small improvements while bigger
issues will never be solved.

The biggest issue: Skype 8 uses a web interface.

This issue might be worked around if the scripts will turn the virtual
buffer off automaticly and it will use only the PC cursor, and of
course, if this way Skype will be fully accessible this way.

The best news is that for the moment Skype 7 still works. Too bad that
it will probably stop working soon.

--Octavian