Re: such a waste of intelligent energy

Octavian Rasnita

It has to do with Skype, because exactly in the same way, Skype 8 will be forever worse than Skype 7 for me.

--Octavian

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, October 05, 2018 11:51 PM
Subject: Re: [skypeenglish] such a waste of intelligent energy

What does all of this have to do with Skype ?

From: skypeenglish@groups.io <skypeenglish@groups.io> On Behalf Of Octavian Rasnita
Sent: Friday, October 05, 2018 4:49 PM
To: skypeenglish@groups.io

"insure that the things you want and need are there in future iterations of said software and your lives and mine, will be considerably better for it".

Windows 7 is almost at its end of life, but it is still worse than Windows XP was for me.

It won't be improved anymore, so it will be worse forever.

I used it for many years and I got very used to it, but it still works bad, JAWS reads some strange words in some applications (TextPad), the command prompt works also worse, the version of Outlook Express I use has some limitations, the other email client have some missing features etc.

And I can tell you that I tried very many other alternative programs that could work a little better, but none of them have all the features I need.

If I'd need to use the computer just for entertainment, all these things wouldn't be a problem, because if something would not be accessible, I can choose to  use something else and that's all.

--Octavian

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, October 05, 2018 9:10 PM

to be fair to all and sundry on list, for the most part, the below has happened. people ask, and concise answers were given out.

Granted, it isn't always immediately apparent, hence the reasons for the questions in the first place.

What is a continual bugbear, however, is the incessant moaning as opposed to the more practical reaching out to the developers at the grass roots of the project, calmly explaining what they'd like to see happen in order that their experience with the end-product remains comfortable and unhindered by obstacles they are unable to overcome. Yet, there is point blank refusal to at the very least try, slurs and strongly worded suggestions as to what said conglomerate can do with their current iteration of said end-product, and wishes for deprecated and quite frankly, insecure implementations of underlying software infrastructure, to bring back a product that was flaky at best and a downright headache, even for the more tech savvy among us at worst. There is little need to point fingers, but, it seems to be currently, a trend I'm seeing, and while it is not necessarily endemic to our own community, it is something that is more prevalent than it needs to be.

Quite frankly, older software and operating systems are being done away with, because they have security holes and are based on now defunct code and deprecated practices. Windows XP, for instance, hasn't been supported for the better part of three years, yet, there are still people out there using it on the internet, even knowing that it is a security risk to their home or corporate networks. It's only going to be a couple of years, before win7 is similarly no longer supported, and people the world over, even though they are better informed, are going to continue to use it, knowing they're placing themselves and everyone else they interact with at risk.

I digress, however. What I'm ultimately saying is this.

Don't fight change simply for the sake of fighting it and because what yu are using is comfortable, be an instrument of change, and calmly, logically and reasonably enter in to discourse with those in the know, and insure that the things you want and need are there in future iterations of said software and your lives and mine, will be considerably better for it. not to mention the myriad others that would doubtless thank you for your efforts in insuring they have as smooth a transition and as great an experience as they enjoy currently.

On 6/10/2018 02:57, Mike DeZinno wrote:

Amen, Lewis!
I've been using a talking computer since 1987, and the same scare and fear tactics have ripped through the blind community every year for those 31 years since my first computer spoke its first words.

Change is inevitable, and life is all about constant change.
And as my sainted mother told me when I was a 11 year old blind kid who couldn't join a little league team;
"the value of your life isn't determined by the few things you can't do, but rather by the many things you can do!"

We would all be better served here in our Skype community if we just asked how-to questions and just gave each other non judgmental answers.
State the problem or situation and then sit back, chill for a few, and wait for someone to share some  solutions.

Besides science has proven, you live longer when you learn how to just accept life's little jabs to your soul. LOL

Stay well and have a great fun weekend,
Mike in SC

At 11:38 AM 10/5/2018, you wrote:

Hello friends,
I see so much wasted energy being wasted on a subject that has been argued to the point of trying to ride a dead mule.
The new skype is here and its not going away. No company in the world goes backward, and its not going to happen with skype.
All this intelligent energy should be expended towards helping each other to access, understand and use the new program to our fullest abilities, so that we are ready and able to improve our use of the program, as the needed accessibility fixes come along.
As long as blind people have been using computers, the improvements regarding accessibility have come along, and guess what, we haven’t been left behind yet.
That’s because of good common sense advocacy for accessibility and the willingness of blind computer users to use what we have so we are comfortable with existing programs,
which makes it much easier for when much needed improvements are developed in order to turn our experience into a smooth transition .
We all want the same thing as it relates to accessibility. Just think how much someone like myself could have learned if all of these angry messages were full of helpful questions and answers for using the new skype?
Catcha later from Lewis!

**KISS AN ANGEL GOOD MORNING!

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Join main@skypeenglish.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.