locked Re: Microsoft Backtracks, Classic Skype Lives to See Another Day - Thurrott.com

Octavian Rasnita

Well, I believe you.
Maybe for you was a false alarm, but for me it was not a false alarm at all.
TextPad works much much worse under Windows 7 than under Windows XP, some lines of text are skipped, some strange pieces of text are spoken by JAWS at the beginning of some lines, I also tested many other editors and none of them have the features I need, the MS DOS prompt is not read as well as under Windows XP in some cases etc.
And these are not things I need rarely, but permanently in my day by day work.

--Octavian

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2018 1:52 AM
Subject: Re: [skypeenglish] Microsoft Backtracks, Classic Skype Lives to See Another Day - Thurrott.com

Shaun and John.

Absolutely correct.
Frankly, I thought changing from XP to Windows-7 would be difficult; Two Words: False alarm.
Like you, John, I tend to stick with what works, until it doesn’t.
Looking at what Doug, Sarah and others have said, I’m sure I’ll figure things out with the new Skype, with or without Windows 10.
Making the change from XP was Easy.  I expect the same when the time comes for w-10.
Things work a little different here in Canada when it comes to upgrades with special software.
Difficult, but not impossible.
I’ll catch up in due time.  You’re both right.

Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2018 6:45 PM
Subject: Re: [skypeenglish] Microsoft Backtracks, Classic Skype Lives to See Another Day - Thurrott.com

and thank you john, you therefore prove my point, you know how to use it, but by choice, you don't wish to, and that is your choice, which I respect.

you are neither complaining for complaining sake, nor are you being contrary and fighting change just because you prefer the status quo. again, that, I respect.

On 10/08/2018 07:47, John Holcomb II wrote:

I’ve never had anyone who  I upgraded to Windows 10 have any issues.

And while I don’t use W10 as my primary driver, its close enough to windows 7 to work just fine. In fact, narrator might be all some people need. And if any screene reader is going to work great with skype over anything else, it’ll be first party hardware.

Also I think Doug wouldn’t be putting out  scripts and NVDA addons if skype did not work with them.

And if something for some reason didn’t work, he’d be the first person to tell us here.

Now I’ve e not upgraded my  Skype because I choose not to. Not because I think  it won’t work. There’s a difference.

Just like I choose to  stay on Windows 7. For my main driver.

But if someone slapped Skype 8 and W 10 in front of me and said here are scripts, you have no choice, I’m sure I could make it work. I’ve been using computers and screne readers and know how to use the curcers to  get around screen if nothing else.

But all and all, I trust Doug  who made the scripts that he wouldn’t put out a   halfassed unworkable product.

John

From: skypeenglish@groups.io mailto:skypeenglish@groups.io On Behalf Of Shaun Oliver
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2018 6:07 PM
To: skypeenglish@groups.io

I'm going to comment here, and I'm likely going to not only appear contrary, but, quite harsh, and I make no appology for it. you have been warned.

Firstly, Sarah is right. Skype 8, even though it is still called Skype preview, is very easy to navigate. if you have experience navigating a web style interface, you can navigate skype without issue. If you've yet to at least gain competency in navigating a web interface or similar, then you have nobody to blame but yourself for the issues you're facing navigating Skype 8. I am talking collectively here I am not pointing the finger at any one individual.

Furthermore, the interface is no different under windows7 as it is, under windows 10. As for windows 10 being unstable, Pardon my use of the colorful vernacular, but, bullshit!

Unless you know what you speak of, hold your tongue and if you must offer an oppinion, make it an informed oppinion not filled with supposition and hearsay. Windows10 is quite stable. and as is with any other platform, yes, things break. sometimes majorly when there's an update, but, the same is true of both IOS and android and I might add, MacOSX.

Software developers now not only listen to feedback about accessibility these days, but, they listen to feedback about what's broken and fix it in fairly short order. So have a care how you speak, because unless your oppinions are based on actual provable evidence, you are talking out of the wrong orifice and need to give the other one a go.

On 10/08/2018 02:47, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Actualy skype 8 for windows is equally as good I learned it in about maybe 5 minutes of just tinkering around. I use it every day on my youtube streams. If you don’t believe me go to my youtube page. I can get around it farily quickly with nvda.

On 7 Aug 2018, at 13:27, Octavian Rasnita wrote:

"just takes geting used to".

Yes, but this, and the fact that it doesn't have some features that Skype 7 has, makes it worse than Skype 7. :)

Getting used to something means effort and time consumed, and Skype 7 doesn't require this.

It is good to consume time to learn something new that helps, but for the moment I've seen only missing features in Skype 8, not new helpful things that we can do with it.

It would be great for example if it will have an API that can be used for sending chat messages from programs.

I see you compare Skype 8 with the version for Mac, but most Skype users use it under Windows and they will probably never intend to use Mac, so for them is not helpful at all if Skype 8 is similar with the one for Mac, or if the Mac style of using the computer is more friendly with Skype 8, or anything Mac related.

The truth is that Skype 8 is much worse accessible than Skype 7 when it is used under Windows with JAWS, and I guess that this is the most used combination.

I don't know how easy is to use it with Windows 10 yet, but from what I read from other blind Windows 10 users, Windows 10 is not stable yet, and some updates can damage some things until the next update, so this is also not very useful.

--Octavian

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2018 8:39 PM

Not true. I use it every day for my streams and my jobs. It is 100 percent accessible and usable and just takes geting used to, so give it a chance.

On 6 Aug 2018, at 20:34, Josephine Hirsch wrote:

new version of Skype really sucks, and is hard to use with screenreaders regardless if you have any type of impairment

On 8/6/2018 10:09 PM, Kimmie wrote:

Yeah I definitely put my feedback in there and told them to get their act together.

From: skypeenglish@groups.io [mailto:skypeenglish@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jerry Pryde
Sent: Tuesday, 7 August 2018 8:33 a.m.
To: skypeenglish@groups.io

This is really good news.

It sounds like they’ve gotten some seriously negative feedback on the new version.

I’ve even heard from people with sight that don’t like it.

Long Live Skype Classic.

Sent: Monday, August 06, 2018 2:00 PM

Subject: [skypeenglish] Microsoft Backtracks, Classic Skype Lives to See Another Day - Thurrott.com

<

Join main@skypeenglish.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.