locked Re: Microsoft Backtracks, Classic Skype Lives to See Another Day - Thurrott.com

Octavian Rasnita

I have a Skype 7 that has multiple chat windows and I don't have any problem
with the resources.
From Andre's message it looks that there are more problems with the consumed
resources in Skype 8 with a single window than with Skype 7 with multiple
windows.

"as for having quick keys to review conversation chats, you don't need them.
incoming chats are read automatically, and you can review them".

The incoming chats are read automaticly only when Skype application is the
active application.
Plus that in many cases, some people may need to re-read for many times the
chat messages. If somebody uses Skype just for saying hello and asking about
weather, then he might not need to re-read it the chat messages, but there
are people that use Skype for work and they might need to be able to
re-read, plus copy some text from the messages etc.

"customisable sounds? not an issue. the ringing sound I hear quite
plainly.".

I also don't have any problems with Skype's sounds, but why do you think
that this should be true for everybody?
If something is OK for you it doesn't mean that it should be also OK for the others.
And if the others say that something is not OK, it doesn't mean that they don't respect your opinion. They just say that for them is not OK and that's all.

"as for an API for external programs to utilise, why? that then turns what
is using limited resources in to a resource hog, and nobody likes a resource
hog.".

I don't understand this statement. What has the API to do with the resources
used by the application?
The API should be able to do what the graphical interface is able to do, but
without using resources for the GUI.
Of course that if somebody uses the API too hard, and sends lots of messages or do other
hard work, then yes, the resources can be affected, but the usage can be
limited by the API itself.

--Octavian

separate chat windows? really that wastes more resources.

on windows, press alt+1 and you're in the conversation list, and by
default, it's set to organise by time, so you can easily find the
conversation you need to interact with.

as for having quick keys to review conversation chats, you don't need
them. incoming chats are read automatically, and you can review them
easily enough.

customisable sounds? not an issue. the ringing sound I hear quite plainly.
as for an API for external programs to utilise, why? that then turns what
is using limited resources in to a resource hog, and nobody likes a
resource hog.

it really is of no consequense and while both sighted and blidn people are
complaining bitterly about it, I've yet to find a drawback with this
latest interface.

On 10/08/2018 08:19, Andre Polykanine wrote:
Hello Shaun,
Well, well. You're really a bit too harsh, but OK, let's be harsh
then.
Skype 8 sucks indeed. Not as a piece of software, but as a
*messenger*. See the difference: a messenger should be fast, light on
CPU and memory usage, and not only accessible, but usable. I'm a huge
fan of Web technologies myself, but here they are in the wrong place.
So let's list what's missing in Skype 8 comparing to Skype 7:
1. Separate chat windows. Yes, this is important when you have a
separate chat with your boss, another one with a project manager,
another one with a group of developers, and a couple personal ones. If
your company uses Skype for work, it is a daily scenario. Can you
manage to cope with it in Skype electron? Yes, you can, but not that
fast. Far not. Commpare pressing Alt+Tab with those cumbersome
gestures in a single window.
2. Performance. My PC is quite old, it has a Core I5 CPU and 4 gigs of
RAM. Skype 7 works like a charm, though with Skype 8 I often have my
fans rotating at high speeds, and the app crashes quite often during
calls. "buy a new machine," could you say. For a messenger? I mean,
really?
3. Sounds are not customizable. I still use classic sounds in Skype 7,
and I'll give you a reason for that: when I'm away from my PC and I
hear that loud old-fashioned phone ringing from my headphones, I
know someone wants my
attention in Skype. Was it too hard to implement in a newer version?
I'm 100% sure it was not.
4. Alt+numbers in chats. If you ever talked in a rather crowded group
chat
with sighted people, you understand my point:
Tab-Shift-Tab-arrow-up-arrow-down just don't work, you miss messages.
5. Skype 7 has a plethora of settings, like: show or hide animated
emoticons, link previews, user avatars, how to quote messages, what
to do on
pressing Enter, and so on, and so forth. Skype 8 left us with a tiny
piece of that settings tree which prevents it from being a
professional messenger.
6. Global hotkeys: someone calls me while I'm working in an IDE, a
word processor, an e-mail client or a sound editor. Do I have to go and
desperately search for a Skype window to pick up the call? Are you
serious?
7. the main interface itself. Again, I don't say it is inaccessible,
but it is far from being *comfortable* to use. Skype was the only and
the last messenger with native-like windows, and now Skype 8 came.
Everyone uses Slack these days. Well, Microsoft said, let's do it like
Slack, maybe they will come back to Skype? It is the same error when
everyone imitates Apple's phone design by removing home buttons and
headphone jacks in a desperate hope that "if we
are like Apple, we will have billions of users". When Skype was
special and particular, everyone used it just because it was
comfortable both for large businesses and for aged people. It was
peer-to-peer, it allowed sending large files, its interface was simple
and its sound quality was decent. Nowadays however amount of Skype
users decreases, and sighted users also complain about Skype 8
interface that is sluggish and drains batteries on laptops and cell
phones.
If they fixed those issues I described, at least partially, it would be
great. I don't blame them for doing it bad, I blame them for choosing
a wrong technology. Electron is not suitable for a messenger, it's a
virtual machine upon another virtual machine, so to say. I wouldn't
blame them even if they provided an API, but they don't,
unfortunately.