locked Re: Microsoft Backtracks, Classic Skype Lives to See Another Day - Thurrott.com

Shaun Oliver

that's why I turn notifications on, but, to be fair, that is spirratic at best

On 10/08/2018 13:19, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Actually in my case incomign chats are not read at least wiht nvda. They are when I’m in the skype window but on windows or mac they are not when outside so I do miss a lot there.

Take care

On 9 Aug 2018, at 16:08, Shaun Oliver wrote:

separate chat windows? really that wastes more resources.

on windows, press alt+1 and you're in the conversation list, and by default, it's set to organise by time, so you can easily find the conversation you need to interact with.

as for having quick keys to review conversation chats, you don't need them. incoming chats are read automatically, and you can review them easily enough.

customisable sounds? not an issue. the ringing sound I hear quite plainly. as for an API for external programs to utilise, why? that then turns what is using limited resources in to a resource hog, and nobody likes a resource hog.

it really is of no consequense and while both sighted and blidn people are complaining bitterly about it, I've yet to find a drawback with this latest interface.

On 10/08/2018 08:19, Andre Polykanine wrote:
Hello Shaun,
Well,  well.  You're  really  a  bit too harsh, but OK, let's be harsh
then.
Skype  8  sucks  indeed.  Not  as  a  piece  of  software, but  as  a
*messenger*.  See the difference: a messenger should be fast, light on
CPU  and memory usage, and not only accessible, but usable. I'm a huge
fan of Web technologies myself, but here they are in the wrong place.
So let's list what's missing in Skype 8 comparing to Skype 7:
1.  Separate  chat  windows.  Yes,  this  is important when you have a
separate  chat  with  your  boss,  another one with a project manager,
another one with a group of developers, and a couple personal ones. If
your  company  uses  Skype  for  work, it is a daily scenario. Can you
manage  to  cope with it in Skype electron? Yes, you can, but not that
fast.  Far  not.  Commpare  pressing  Alt+Tab  with  those cumbersome
gestures in a single window.
2. Performance. My PC is quite old, it has a Core I5 CPU and 4 gigs of
RAM.  Skype  7 works like a charm, though with Skype 8 I often have my
fans  rotating  at high speeds, and the app crashes quite often during
calls.  "buy  a  new machine," could you say. For a messenger? I mean,
really?
3. Sounds are not customizable. I still use classic sounds in Skype 7,
and  I'll  give  you a reason for that: when I'm away from my PC and I
hear  that loud old-fashioned  phone  ringing from my headphones,  I  know  someone  wants my
attention  in  Skype. Was it too hard to implement in a newer version?
I'm 100% sure it was not.
4.  Alt+numbers in chats. If you ever talked in a rather crowded group chat
with      sighted     people,     you     understand my     point:
Tab-Shift-Tab-arrow-up-arrow-down just don't work, you miss messages.
5.  Skype  7  has  a plethora of settings, like: show or hide animated
emoticons,  link  previews, user avatars, how  to  quote messages,  what  to do on
pressing  Enter,  and so on, and so forth. Skype 8 left us with a tiny
piece   of   that  settings  tree  which  prevents  it  from being  a
professional messenger.
6.  Global  hotkeys:  someone  calls me while I'm working in an IDE, a
word  processor,  an e-mail client or a sound editor. Do I have to go and
desperately  search  for  a  Skype window to pick up the call? Are you
serious?
7.  the  main interface itself. Again, I don't say it is inaccessible,
but  it is far from being *comfortable* to use. Skype was the only and
the  last  messenger  with  native-like windows, and now Skype 8 came.
Everyone uses Slack these days. Well, Microsoft said, let's do it like
Slack,  maybe  they will come back to Skype? It is the same error when
everyone  imitates  Apple's  phone design by removing home buttons and
headphone jacks in a desperate hope that "if we
are  like  Apple,  we  will  have  billions  of users". When Skype was
special   and  particular,  everyone  used  it  just  because it  was
comfortable  both  for  large  businesses  and for aged people. It was
peer-to-peer, it allowed sending large files, its interface was simple
and  its  sound  quality  was decent. Nowadays however amount of Skype
users  decreases,  and  sighted  users  also  complain  about Skype 8
interface  that  is  sluggish and drains batteries on laptops and cell
phones.
If  they fixed those issues I described, at least partially, it would be
great.  I don't blame them for doing it bad, I blame them for choosing
a  wrong  technology. Electron is not suitable for a messenger, it's a
virtual  machine  upon  another virtual machine, so to say. I wouldn't
blame   them   even   if   they  provided  an  API,  but they  don't,
unfortunately.