locked Re: Microsoft Backtracks, Classic Skype Lives to See Another Day - Thurrott.com

Shaun Oliver

what's hard to use about windows10? how is the command structure different at its core than that of windows7?

really people, you're going to be forced in to using win10 in two or three years anyway, so you might as well bite the damned bullet and get with the program. again, I'm not appologizing for being harsh, but seriously people, pissing and moaning about how much worse things are, is doing nothing more than showing your inability to adapt. and that, my friends, does you a great disservice.

in a couple of years when you're forced to update to win10, are you goign to give up computing altogether? no, you're not. so instead of being dragged kicking and screaming, whaling, nashing your teeth, crying and wetting your diapers out of protest, take some initiative, and make the transition now, so that when you have no choice down the track, you can at least say you're ahead of the game and you are competent with using windows10. I've said very little on this list and mostly just read the goings on, but, for the last three weeks, I have seen nothing but bitching, moaning, crying, diaper wetting, about how the world's ending because skype is inaccessible. inaccessible to me means firstly the screenreader won't render it at all. nor, can it be used, even if you implement OCR as provided with NVDA and I believe JAWS has it also, if I cannot at least use the mouse to get around something and work it, it is all but inaccessible to me.

and I'm attempting to play world of warcraft. so go figure. that is all but inaccessible but it is doable.

again, people, stop the belly aching and make a concerted effort to better yourselves and your computing skills and keep them up to date, or you will become obsolete. that, is not good for you or your potential employability.

think on that, please?

On 10/08/2018 03:55, Josephine Hirsch wrote:

The thing about Skype 8 is that I do not like it because it took me 2 hours to use it. I like Skype 7 because I have Windows 7 OS and no offense, Windows 10 is hard to use, plus, the commands for Windows 10 is way different than Windows 7. I am glad that someone have put their foot down by telling MS that they can't DC Skype 7 because people are used to it.

On 8/9/2018 12:53 PM, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
"Actualy skype 8 for windows is equally as good I learned it in about maybe 5 minutes of just tinkering around.".

Oh yeah, but this is because you are great! Not all the people are the same and not all of them use the computer for the same things. :-)

I used Windows 7 for years, but I still hate it and consider it less accessible than Windows XP.
Even now after so many years, it is still very bad accessible with some applications like TextPad, or MS DOS command prompt when comparing it with the same apps and screen reader under Windows XP.

You said that you use NVDA. This means that probably you like it. I don't. Actually I don't like the object navigation. I was sighted and I want to have an experience as close as possible with the one offered to the sighted that can have a visual perspective of the entire screen without analysing each object and sub-object one by one. Maybe with the style of NVDA Skype 8 is OK.

Window Eyes was a great screen reader many years ago, however for the single reason that it enforced the users to use the horrible numpad, I refused to use it. This was enough. Because I don't like to use numpad at all for other things just typing digits. For other people this might not be important at all.

However, Windows 7 has some stability improvements, so there aren't just disadvantages.
But in Skype 8 I haven't heard about any advantage yet.

This is why I said that Skype 8 is worse for me. It may be as good as Skype 7 for you or others, or maybe even better, but this doesn't make it better for me.

Our different opinions don't mean contradiction, but are based on our different needs and preferences.

For me "learning" means a different thing than for you for sure.
For me, learning means muscle learning, so I don't even need to think how to use it.
If you ask me how I start chatting with somebody on Skype, I'll need to stay a little and think all the steps one by one, and I may not be able to tell you all the steps without doing it. But when I really want to start chatting with somebody, I know that I need to press Insert+F11 to open the list of apps in System tray, and from that point on is just muscle memory, and I don't remember all the steps, but I do it very fast, without needing to hear too much from the screen reader. It is like the muscle memory needed to type a text very fast, without thinking to every letter that you need to type.
And well, unfortunately I'm not so good and I can't change my way of working and re-learning all the hotkey combinations to do what I want as fast as before just in 5 minutes.
--Octavian