Re: Still Confused About Skype 8.25 UWP

Steve Matzura

Ah-ha.  Well understood. Fog  = gone.

On 7/29/2018 3:46 AM, Doug Lee wrote:
Glad things are clearing up and starting to work for you. :-)

The rest of this message is meant to clear a few remaining cobwebs out of the equation in case this is useful:

Microsoft owns Skype now, so both Skype 8 and Skype UWP are actually Microsoft products in reality.

And yes, the "older than Windows 10" is my fault lol: Microsoft initially did not support Skype 8 on Windows 10 when I wrote those pages and those scripts. Now they do, so the verbiage has begun changing on my website but is
not fully up to date yet, partly because I've been off doing other things this weekend. :-)

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 03:00:40AM -0400, Steve Matzura wrote:
I think the fog has finally cleared. It took me all this time to understand
there are two versions of the same application from two suppliers, their look
and feel seems quite similar to me, and therein lay most of the confusion.

When I run Skype UWP, it does indeed say scripts version 102, etc., and
everything works as documented. WONDERFUL!

Re the Electron version, the only reason I never tried, or thought to try,
that one is because the link says:

??? Skype 8 (Electron app, Skype for Windows older than 10) JAWS scripts

Come to think of it, the NVDA add-on link says the same thing:

??? Skype 8 (Electron app, Skype for Windows older than 10) NVDA addon (direct
link)

I'm on Windows 10.?? It would never occur to me to choose either of those. I
obey the signs (grin). The link titles make it sound like I should use them if
I am on Windows 7 or 8.1--"less than Windows 10."

Thanks for all the clarification. I think I have it sorted now.

So now the next phase of confounderation begins. There are now two Skypes, one
from Skype itself, one from Microsoft. What sort of craziness are these people
foisting off on us? Hopefully one will just go away.?? But which one?

On 7/29/2018 2:24 AM, Doug Lee wrote:
You are correct that Skype 8 is from the website and Skype UWP is from the Store.

But there are scripts for both, and you have to load the scripts for the Skype version you are using.

For Skype 8 for Windows Desktop: http://www.dlee.org/skype/electron/
For Skype UWP: http://www.dlee.org/skype/uwp/

You can just load both sets of scripts so that scripts will load for whichever Skype you are using at a given time. Given the confusion here, perhaps that would be a good move. :-)

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 02:03:02AM -0400, Steve Matzura wrote:
OK, the fog is burning off (LOL).

On one computer, I have Skype for Desktop version 8.25. On another I have that
one, plus the one from the Microsoft Store. I have figured out how to start
the correct one, 8.25, and have pinned it to the Task Bar so I'll never start
the wrong one again. So, if I run the UWP one, *THAT* is the one the scripts
are for. Have I got it right this time? Oy, I don't know why this was so
confusing, except I thought the phrase "Skype 8" had to do with the one from
skype.com *AND* the UWP version from the MS Store.

On 7/29/2018 1:26 AM, Doug Lee wrote:
Skype 8 is not from the Store. Skype 8 is from skype.com. Skype UWP is from the Store. You can have both on your computer at once, but I'm saying it sounds like the one you are actually running is Skype 8. You can probably run
both at the same time still. I did that for months while scripting them actually. But of course, I imagine you'll just want to pick one of them. :)

I am confused that you say "Skype 8.25 UWP" though. I don't run Skype UWP anymore, so I don't have a current version number for that one; but I don't remember it being 8.anything, and I thought someone said the next version of
Skype UWP will be 14.

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 01:18:14AM -0400, Steve Matzura wrote:
The fog thickens, I'm sorry to say.

On 7/29/2018 1:06 AM, Doug Lee wrote:
Microsoft recently started officially supporting Skype 8 on Windows 10, and it sounds from your messages like you are actually running Skype 8.
Yes, 8.25 UWP to be exact.

So you have two choices: Get the Skype 8 JAWS and/or NVDA support as described
and
use that, or grab and use Skype UWP from the Store and get the described support for JAWS and/or NVDA for that app.
But ... but ... I hate to sound so stupid, but there's obviously something I'm
not getting here. Skype 8 from the MS Store is different than some other Skype
8? And if your site says the NVDA add-on is for versions of Windows less than
10, and I'm running Windows 10, how is that the right thing to do? Ditto the
Electron application stuff?

I think Microsoft will continue to support Skype UWP for a while though I would like confirmation of their
plans for that one sometime. I am quite sure Microsoft will continue to support Skype 8 for a while now.

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 12:38:43AM -0400, Steve Matzura wrote:
Doug:

??Electron and NVDA add-on are the wrong choices because I'm not using a
version of Windows less than 10. Scripts for Windows 10 insist Chrome is
running. What?? can I do to fix this?

Thanks as always. I've clearly mucked something badly.