Re: Still Confused About Skype 8.25 UWP

Steve Matzura

OK, the fog is burning off (LOL).

On one computer, I have Skype for Desktop version 8.25. On another I have that one, plus the one from the Microsoft Store. I have figured out how to start the correct one, 8.25, and have pinned it to the Task Bar so I'll never start the wrong one again. So, if I run the UWP one, *THAT* is the one the scripts are for. Have I got it right this time? Oy, I don't know why this was so confusing, except I thought the phrase "Skype 8" had to do with the one from skype.com *AND* the UWP version from the MS Store.

On 7/29/2018 1:26 AM, Doug Lee wrote:
Skype 8 is not from the Store. Skype 8 is from skype.com. Skype UWP is from the Store. You can have both on your computer at once, but I'm saying it sounds like the one you are actually running is Skype 8. You can probably run
both at the same time still. I did that for months while scripting them actually. But of course, I imagine you'll just want to pick one of them. :)

I am confused that you say "Skype 8.25 UWP" though. I don't run Skype UWP anymore, so I don't have a current version number for that one; but I don't remember it being 8.anything, and I thought someone said the next version of
Skype UWP will be 14.

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 01:18:14AM -0400, Steve Matzura wrote:
The fog thickens, I'm sorry to say.

On 7/29/2018 1:06 AM, Doug Lee wrote:
Microsoft recently started officially supporting Skype 8 on Windows 10, and it sounds from your messages like you are actually running Skype 8.
Yes, 8.25 UWP to be exact.

So you have two choices: Get the Skype 8 JAWS and/or NVDA support as described
and
use that, or grab and use Skype UWP from the Store and get the described support for JAWS and/or NVDA for that app.
But ... but ... I hate to sound so stupid, but there's obviously something I'm
not getting here. Skype 8 from the MS Store is different than some other Skype
8? And if your site says the NVDA add-on is for versions of Windows less than
10, and I'm running Windows 10, how is that the right thing to do? Ditto the
Electron application stuff?

I think Microsoft will continue to support Skype UWP for a while though I would like confirmation of their
plans for that one sometime. I am quite sure Microsoft will continue to support Skype 8 for a while now.

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 12:38:43AM -0400, Steve Matzura wrote:
Doug:

??Electron and NVDA add-on are the wrong choices because I'm not using a
version of Windows less than 10. Scripts for Windows 10 insist Chrome is
running. What?? can I do to fix this?

Thanks as always. I've clearly mucked something badly.