Re: Are Doug's Scripts Really Active?

Steve Matzura

OK, here are two logs. First, the one you asked for:

JAWS Settings Information:
Google Chrome settings are used in the Skype.exe application.
The configuration name is Chrome.
The current scheme is Classic.

And now, something interesting from the scripts' installation log. The first time I ran the installer, I got this text; the second time it ran successfully to completion, and the third time, which I tried just now in case I had downloaded the wrong thing the first time, is a duplicate of the first time's bad  run. Don't laugh when you see that I can't type my own name correctly! :-) The CAPS LOCK key was obviously on when I created the original Windows 10 environment, and I never bothered to fix it. Too many things attached to that badly typed thing.

Install into JAWS folders 18.0|2018.
    Preparing for JAWS script compilation.
18.0:
User folder: C:\Users\sTEVE\AppData\Roaming\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\18.0\Settings\enu
Shared folder: C:\ProgramData\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\18.0\Settings\enu
Output folder: C:\Users\sTEVE\AppData\Roaming\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\18.0\Settings\enu
Installing files.
JAWSUtil command: compile skypeuwp skypeuwp_jcpdict
Updating JAWS user folder files.
2018:
User folder: C:\Users\sTEVE\AppData\Roaming\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\2018\Settings\enu
Shared folder: C:\ProgramData\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\2018\Settings\enu
Output folder: C:\Users\sTEVE\AppData\Roaming\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\2018\Settings\enu
Installing files.
JAWSUtil command: compile skypeuwp skypeuwp_jcpdict
Command returned 1.
Output:
SCompile exited with code -1

Compiling skypeuwp.jss

file skypeuwp.jss, line 171, column 44: Error: Unknown variable UIA_PositionInSetPropertyId

file skypeuwp.jss, line 171, column 94: Error: Unknown variable UIA_SizeOfSetPropertyId

file skypeuwp.jss, line 1135, column 42: Error: Unknown variable UIA_SizeOfSetPropertyId

Compiling skypeuwp_jcpdict.jss

End of output.
Restoring this JAWS folder to its original state.
JAWSInstallDirs is C:\Users\sTEVE\AppData\Roaming\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\18.0\Settings\enu.
Only 1 of 2 installations succeeded.
Output folder: C:\Users\sTEVE\AppData\Roaming\JAWS Scripts For Skype UWP
Created uninstaller: C:\Users\sTEVE\AppData\Roaming\JAWS Scripts For Skype UWP\uninst_jfw_skypeuwp.exe
Create folder: C:\Users\sTEVE\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\JAWS Scripts For Skype UWP
Create shortcut: C:\Users\sTEVE\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\JAWS Scripts For Skype UWP\Uninstall JAWS Scripts For Skype UWP.lnk
Writing log file.

On 7/26/2018 1:51 PM, Doug Lee wrote:
Ok... the Skype UWP scripts are loaded by a new system for UWP applications, which were formerly called Metro apps if I understand right. I load the Skype UWP scripts when the so-called Metro name of the active application is

Microsoft.SkypeApp!App

Please type Ins+Q twice in quick succession while in Skype UWP and paste the results you get here. That string should appear somewhere, and if not, we probably found the problem.

One other suggestion though: Make sure you have reloaded JAWS one time after installing the Skype UWP scripts. I have seen JAWS fail to recognize an update to ConfigNames.ini, the map from app name to script name, until the
next JAWS reload.

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 01:46:59PM -0400, Steve Matzura wrote:
Those are the ones I installed. Version 102.

On 7/26/2018 1:43 PM, Doug Lee wrote:
Ah ok, the scripts you want for Skype UWP for Windows 10 are at http://www.dlee.org/skype/uwp/

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 01:01:24PM -0400, Steve Matzura wrote:
Oh boy, lots wrong here.

On 7/26/2018 12:37 PM, Doug Lee wrote:
If JAWS does not say, "Revision 45 Skype for Windows Desktop 8 (Electron) settings are loaded," possibly with a different revision number, the Skype 8 scripts are not active. This is a litmus test for whether they are active,
but not for whether they are installed in this case. More on that below.
Electron? I'm on Windows 10. I installed the one from the link entitled "???
Skype UWP (Skype for windows 10) JAWS scripts".

The way to remove Skype scripts, or most any of my scripts, is to find the "Uninstall ..." entry for them in your Start menu or Start screen. Typing "Skype" usually finds them. The uninstaller will offer to remove from all JAWS
versions into which that installer installed in the first place. Go ahead and allow it to remove all of them. A script installer will detect if another installation of that same set of scripts already exists and will require
the uninstaller to complete before running; but scripts for one Skype version do not detect scripts for a different Skype version - where "version" here means Skype 8, Skype 7 (which the Skype 6.22b scripts support), and Skype UWP.
OK, found and got it done.
Now about why you may not be seeing the Skype 8 scripts active:

Electron apps, such as Skype 8, act in many ways like HTML pages, including having an address, or URL, that identifies them. Confusingly enough, the URL identifying Skype 8 is simply "Index," or possibly in some JAWS versions,
"Index.html." The Skype 8 scripts load based on this identifier; but I am not certain that JAWS 17, 18, and 2018 all settle on the same identifier for Skype 8. To handle this, I included more than one way to make the scripts
load; but it's possible I missed a case or two.

So if you are absolutely certain that the Skype 8 script installer ran successfully, that you included your active JAWS version when you installed the scripts, and that Ins+Q says "Chrome" instead of something about Skype 8;
let me know which JAWS version you are using, or versions if you see this in more than one; and I'll see if I can help figure out what's going on.
Thank you. It's not the Electron version, and I'm seeing it in both JAWS 18
and 2018.