Re: Answers regarding Windows Skype

Larry Gassman

Hi Doug,
My memory is that at one time we could still use Skype for Windows 10 and Windows Clasic cuncurrently on the same machine. Obviously after September 1, this will not be possible.
But I believe you also said that we could not use Windows Clasic and Windows 8 on the same machine.
So unless we have an executable file for Windows Clasic, we need to be careful up until September 1 if we go to Skype for Windows 8.
I haven't used Skype for Windows 8 at all, so I guess it is time to explore that avenue as well.
And Doug, Thanks for your hard work.
Larry

At 03:53 AM 7/17/2018, Doug Lee wrote:
Microsoft's announcement of the September 1 discontinuation of Skype 7 (Classic) has brought us quite a bit of traffic on this list. Here are some hopefully helpful bits of info:

Will Skype 7 (Classic) work after September 1 if you download it now? Microsoft says no. They are not just saying they're no longer going to support it; they're saying it will not work after that date. Time will tell, but
that's the official word.

Which Skype should we use then? I now say Skype 8, because Microsoft has begun offering it to everyone, even Windows 10 users. Skype UWP for Windows 10 is still supported though.

Did I once say I thought Skype 8 would soon die? Possibly; I predicted Skype UWP would become the preferred Skype version. As of now though, I believe Skype 8 will become the preferred version. Again, time will tell.

Are there JAWS scripts for Skype 8? Yes, at http://www.dlee.org/skype/electron/ - and I just updated them before sending this email. See the site I just gave for details on what changed.

Is there an NVDA add-on for Skype 8? Yes, at http://www.dlee.org/skype/electron/skype.nvda-addon

Is there a list of keyboard shortcuts for Skype 8? Yes, at https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12025/what-are-hotkeys-and-how-do-i-use-them-in-skype

Will Clisk work with Skype 8? No. The API required by Clisk is no longer supported at all in Skype 8 or Skype UWP. (For those who don't know, Clisk, the Command Line Interface for Skype, is a Python-based application I've
maintained for many years.) This end-of-life for that API is no surprise and was in fact delayed for several years beyond initial expectations.

I wish everyone well in this transition, and I hope my scripting and add-on work is helpful.

"I before E, except after C, or when sounded like A, as in neighbor
and weigh, except for when weird foreign concierges seize neither
leisure nor science from the height of society."