Re: skype 8 and skype windows 10 which is the better for accessibility

Lino Morales <linomorales001@...>

Well I don’t think it has anything to do with Doug’s scripts mike. If a user hasn’t shared contact INFO with you well it is what it is. And like Doug also pointed out since push notifications got introduced a few years back its hard to tell with Skype 7.x and older who’s really online or off etc.

Lino Morales

From: Mike DeZinno
Sent: Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:32 PM
To: skypeenglish@groups.io
Subject: Re: [skypeenglish] skype 8 and skype windows 10 which is the better for accessibility

Good evening all,
regarding notifications of on-line or not statuses being spoken:
First may I say I am not the Skype Guru that many who are on this list are but here is what I have noticed with what I'm getting back from Skype.

I'm using Jaws 18, with Windows 7, and Skype 7.xxx version, with Doug's B scripts.

I am hearing the following:
on-line
not on-line
Away
and this person hasn't shared details with you
and I also hear whether or not there are new messages for me from any given person
I don't know if this is typical for our average user but this is what I hear and so I just assumed this was just the proper function of Skype, Jaws, and Dougs good scripting.

There are so many little tweeky settings between Jaws, and Skype that I'm amazed that any of it works for any of us, with any consistency! LOL

Mike in SC

At 09:31 AM 3/8/2018, you wrote:

I consider it useful to know if someone is online, and even how long it's been since a status was known, which has occasionally been possible for us to see in Skype. When a friend of mine is going through storms, for example,
this may help tell me if there is a power loss at that end.

Skype 7 showed us presence indicators but they lost reliability as phones started showing up and setting up push notifications. I think that may be why presence indication has been changing lately.

Skype 7 sometimes says "Online" beside a contact name, as I said before; but not always, and I've never seen "Offline" or another status there yet.

Skype UWP uses the term "Active" to denote someone that is online, as far as I can tell.

So I think we will get presence indicators back, in some form. I just don't know exactly how they will work.

On Thu, Mar 08, 2018 at 03:53:57PM +0200, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
   If you are right, it means I'm right. :-)

   With other words, if you want to see if somebody is online, you just
   need to call him/her. So no need to see this somewhere else.

   As you said, if the computer is shut down and somebody calls, Skype
   won't ring, so the caller will find that the other person is offline.

   Some people may say that it is nice to know if the other person wants
   to appear online or not, because he/she might be online but might not
   want to be called, and this is the reason that person has set Skype to
   invisible. In this case, that person might be called, because he/she
   also has the possibility of answering or not.

   It is also nice if the caller also knows if the other person is on the
   computer but doesn't want to talk.

   --Octavian