Re: Jaws scripts.

Doug Lee

A bit more about the Command key sequences; sorry, I've been using these for years and forgot to give a proper intro to those who haven't
used these...

All my scripts that use Command key sequences use the system I'm about to describe.

All commands in what I call a Command key system start with a common keystroke. By default, this is the left bracket key, [. See below if
you need to change this initial key to something else. This key is typed separately and before the other keys in each command. In other
words, these commands are key sequences, not key combinations.

When you type the Command key, JAWS will say something quick, like "Skype" or "Command," to let you know you have pressed the Command key. If you
actually need to type the key used as a Command key, such as to put a bracket character into a document, just type it again. If the default key
is inconvenient, change it by typing it and then typing Ins+C. This will give you a way to type a new key to use as the Command key. The
change will survive through JAWS and script updates and will apply only to the scripts you are using at the time.

All scripts I produce also include a help system for the key sequences:
- Type Command and then starttyping Tab and Shift+Tab to move among and list the available commands with descriptions. During this
exploration, Ins+Tab will repeat the command description you just heard. Press Esc when done exploring.
- Press Enter after hearing a command description to execute it. This works for commands that do not start a sublayer. You can of course
also just press the key listed for the command, even if it does start a sublayer.
- Command Ins+C or Command JAWSKey+C lets you change the Command key.

The Skype scripts currently do have a command key system like this, though I don't know how many people already use it. I introduced the
system into these scripts in 2007 or 2008. Not all commands in this system still work in the modern version of the classic Skype for Windows
desktop client.

On Wed, Nov 08, 2017 at 12:17:01PM -0500, Doug Lee wrote:
Oh they are not typed simultaneously. The Command key goes first, then you let go of that and press the second key. These are sequences, not
combinations.

On Wed, Nov 08, 2017 at 12:12:34PM -0500, Jerry Pryde wrote:
I'm not sure about the command key combined with the assigned key.
command+1 for example.
What's the Command key?