Re: Scripting Plans for Skype

Doug Lee

I have not tried Skype UWP with NVDA, but your description does not sound right; so I again wonder if you're talking about a different Skype
version.

First, if you can get it, tell me the version number of the Skype that's giving you trouble on Windows. Skype for Desktop, the classic one
we've all used, is up to 7.40. Skype UWP is currently at 11.19. I don't yet know a version number for the new Skype Desktop.

Second, if you're seeing a web-like interface, where you use NVDA's Browse Mode, that's not Skype UWP. Skype UWP is an app you tab through
and has no HTML regions I've seen. You saying "clickable" is what made me wonder this.

Last, I see many labels in Skype UWP; so I'm surprised you say you're not seeing labels for controls.

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 01:47:11PM -0700, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Ah Ok. It's the one that nvda shows as a bunch of unlabeled elements
with "clickable clickable clickable" everywhare. I use the desktop
thing when I have my windows machine on if I want to bother to look.
Glad that's beeing taken care of.

On Oct 31, 2017, at 1:43 PM, Doug Lee <[1]dgl@...> wrote:

I believe you mean Skype UWP, UWP being an acronym for Universal
Windows Platform. That's a Skype just for Windows though, not Mac or
iOS.
The product called Skype Metro was discontinued a while back, but Metro
is an early name for what we now call UWP.
Corrections welcome from anyone, but I think I have all of that right.
If so, then I'm scripting the version you're worried about right now.
:)
On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 01:37:18PM -0700, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
And what are the plans for metro? I know there is discussion on the
nvda list about this but if there is an add on for skype metro thing
where is it, and is it updated? This concerns me a bit as the skype for
mac client preview is horrible and I'm very worried about my job right
now. If skype preview thing looks bad on all systems including the
skype metro thing I am not really sure what I'm going to be able to do.

On Oct 31, 2017, at 12:41 PM, Doug Lee <[2]dgl@...> wrote:
Last Saturday, I sent a message to this list enumerating the Skype
versions written for Windows of which I am aware. Today, I'm sending
another message about all these Skypes, to announce my scripting
plans for them.
Skype for Windows Desktop (7.40):
I continue to support this version, though I haven't needed to do
much for it for a while. Scripts for this one remain at
[3]http://www.dlee.org/skype/
Skype UWP, also known as Skype for Windows 10, currently at version
11.19.0.856:
I started scripting this one on Saturday and hope to have a script
release soon. I will also be including what I believe to be a
comprehensive keyboard shortcut list for it in the documentation. If
anyone has a pointer to existing Microsoft documentation on Skype
UWP
keyboard shortcuts though, please send it here.
New Skype for Windows Desktop, formerly called Skype Preview for
Desktop:
This will not install on my Windows 10 machine, at least without
some bizarre finagling; so I plan to finish and release my first
round of
scripts for Skype UWP before tinkering with this one. I am aware,
though, that it has started landing on some computers out there via
automatic Windows updating. I admit I did not expect that so soon,
having only learned about this Skype version on Saturday.
--
Doug Lee dgl@...
http://www.dlee.org

[4]dgl@... [5]http://www.dlee.org
Level Access
[6]doug.lee@... [7]http://www.LevelAccess.com
"I forgot, because I wanted to forget, except I don't remember
forgetting." --Sarah Alawami